BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Cylinder Misfiring

• Omtab
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2019 14:53 #211496 by Omtab
Cylinder Misfiring was created by Omtab
Hello guys I just joined since I just bought a 1991 JA11. Its in great condition but one of the cylinders is misfiring. The guy I got it from said it wasnt starting when he got it but he changed out the cap, rotor, wires and plugs and it starts up but still has a misfire. Does anyone know of any problems like this or the proper solution. Im thinking timing belt and fuel lines maybe? Just not sure if the Jimnys have a problem like this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2019 17:08 #211500 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Cylinder Misfiring
I don't believe the Jimny has any specific problems in this area, but I have to be honest and say I don't have any direct experience on the early Jimny engine.
That said I have plenty of classic cars with rotor based ignition systems, so if that's what you have this may help.
Normally I would suggest checking or replacing the plugs, leads, rotor and cap as a first pass, but it sounds like the PO has done this already. I assume it has solid state ignition? If not you have points as a condenser to consider.
Still worth giving it a once over if you have not done so already.
Your description makes me think it's only missing on one cylinder, if so try to find which by removing spark plug leads one at a time. If it runs worse that's a good cylinder, no real difference suggests it's the faulty cylinder.
Once identified or even if you can't try to do a cold compression test. The overall pressure readings are unimportant, but they should all be similar. Any reading different could suggest bore, valve or head gasket issues. You can test further to determine which, but not worth explaining further until we know you have the tool to do a compression test.
If your miss fire is on random cylinders then it suggests a common issue, ignition or fuel and could be the items you suggest.
So give it a once over and try to confirm random or a specific cylinder miss fire.
Good luck, sure more suggestions will follow.
Mike

Not 100

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Omtab

More
26 Jul 2019 18:43 #211506 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Cylinder Misfiring
Valve clearances!

Because of the setup Suzuki use on that engine, as the valvetrain wears the clearances get smaller and smaller to the point the valves do not fully close when they should.

I remember having to do loads from other garages first time I worked with Suzuki for the same reason!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

• Omtab
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2019 00:38 #211515 by Omtab
Replied by Omtab on topic Cylinder Misfiring
what is the difficulty level for a valve clearance? do I need some heavy duty equipment?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Jul 2019 04:42 #211516 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Cylinder Misfiring
It's just a hand tools job. The only vaguely special thing is a set of feeler gauges.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Omtab
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2019 03:36 #212014 by Omtab
Replied by Omtab on topic Cylinder Misfiring
Hey so I finally got around to working on the jimny and we have the issue nailed down to the electronic fuel system. we can get it to turn over if one of the parts is off but when we reattach it , she wont fully turn over. We tried spraying starter fluid in it but that would kill it which was puzzling. Do you know much about the this part (suzuki 18117-82C00) or anything of the electronic fuel system in your time working on them?

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds