BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Padraic's 2011 Truck

More
05 Jul 2019 20:09 #210685 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Padraic's 2011 Truck

Podge wrote: I'd spotted the badge being offset on Facebook. I quite like the look of it, I might keep it like that now.

And I also took it down a Byway this evening... It was a bit bumpy but not a problem with it. I suspect it's better done with friends as you'd have someone to pull you out if you got in a bit of bother but I just spotted it when I was bringing the Gravel bike home and had to give it a try... Saddleworth is a decent spot

Hello, where abouts in Saddleworth is that? I'm from Oldham and have not managed to find any BOAT's for miles around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Podge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2019 23:39 - 05 Jul 2019 23:40 #210691 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Padraic's 2011 Truck
Up the back of Denshaw. Asked some fella in a tractor could I take a pic down the track, only was 5 minutes on there. As to whether it's a BOAT, I'd have to go down the council offices and pull a list of them. Or Rochdale, I don't know who's council it comes under.

I'd have to go up with someone who knows the area proper up there. There's lots of tracks up there that look quite fun but I don't want to end up on a footpath however.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2019 23:40 by Podge.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
06 Jul 2019 06:16 #210695 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Padraic's 2011 Truck
That one is a green lane and a good one at that. I think its the one on the map I have put a red arrow pointing to.

There is a staggering number of great lanes around Oldham to Holmfirth area, easily enough for a full day out. Some are probably a bit much for standard-ish cars, but worth a look none-the-less. If in doubt, park up and have a walk first ;-)

GLASS have a tool called trailwise2.co.uk which is great for finding these lanes, but you do need to check with the council's 'definitive map' to see if they are legal to drive or not. Asking the local farmer is always a good idea though :-)

The OS maps show the lanes as Byways (+ symbols) or ORPA (colored dots). ORPA stands for Other Routes Public Access. Check the legend on the side of the map you are using to confirm as the symbol colour changes depending on map scale.

On the fly mapping with a smart phone for routes is really good as well. I use OS maps, but there is viewranger, memorymap, etc as well. All allow you to download a route and use the phones GPS for navigation even when no phone signal.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
06 Jul 2019 08:35 - 06 Jul 2019 08:35 #210703 by Soeley
That's great Riccy, thanks.

I have the OS Explorer map for Oldham, Rochdale & Stockport. But couldn't see any on that. I shall have another look.

I am going to join GLASS as well just not got round to it, but I have been putting off doing any off road until I have at least some minimal under-body protection, these do seem slow to be coming out.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2019 08:35 by Soeley.

• Podge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2019 10:07 #210710 by Podge
Hi Riccy! That's the one alright, I've retraced my route on viewfinder and that's it alright. I'd cycled a bit of it before on the bike, well fun.

Good shout about GLASS, I will join them up.

I think I need a few bash guards underneath the Jimmy, it's stock apart from some A/T tyres so I see how you might need some underbody guards to give it a little protection.

• Podge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2019 10:13 #210711 by Podge
I'm guessing you're a little bit like me Soley, I'd be interested in some probably lighter lanes for some fun rather than some serious off roading. This Jimny is my work wagon and I don't want it bashed to bits. Maybe it's a sign I should get a second

More
06 Jul 2019 17:37 #210719 by Soeley
Podge, have you been up to Cowm? Last Sunday of the month is 4x4 day. They have a green route which they say is "a non damage course". Not been my self yet.

• Podge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2019 17:53 - 12 Jul 2019 04:23 #210895 by Podge
I might try that the next Sunday I'm off. It's only round the corner for me. I'd be a short journey, thanks Soley.

In other bits and bobs.

Installed the Hella Sharptone Horns. Very nice. Wiring was simple enough, used the existing +12v and Earth (slipped the existing connectors onto the relay, very clean, no splicing) for the pickup on the relay and wired a new +12v for the horns onto the battery including a fuse. Thankfully, the horns are positively switched so it's a simple fix.

They're very loud. The Sharptones are more Japanese spec where as the Hella Supertones are more European (think S class Barge) spec. Either way they're super loud, very noticeable and I think a bit safer in busy urban traffic where everyone drives like the rules of the road don't apply to them.

And I developed a bit of a squeaky fan belt. Which was an absolute faff to tighten. The pinch bolt, the 8mm allen hex was bloody tight. I bought a set of Bahco Allen Keys from Screwfix and slid a socket+3/8ths bar over it to get enough leverage. Haven't taken it out on the road but it seems to have solved the slip. If I do change the belts, I'll be taking the radiator off, I can't be doing with skinning knuckles to get bolts off.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2019 04:23 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum

• Podge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2019 18:11 #210899 by Podge

More
11 Jul 2019 18:48 #210903 by Soeley
Horns look good, not seen those before.

• Podge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2019 19:10 #210906 by Podge
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationwww.hella.com/MicroSite/horns/pdf/J00458_KI_M26S_EN.pdf
Information Leaflet

Ebay link

• Podge
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2019 20:42 #210998 by Podge
Averaged 35mpg on mixed town/motorway driving 50:50, I'm not disappointed with that to be honest.

Now, I might drop the speed on the motorway from 65 to 55-60 and see how that improves it.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds