BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Silky Silver SZ5

More
13 Jan 2019 22:09 #200689 by Themooingman
Replied by Themooingman on topic Silky Silver SZ5
I had not test driven the out going one. First car have ever bought that I didn’t test drive. In some ways never expected to get one so was ready to look at other things but as mentioned the right time right place bagged me one. Sometimes you have to roll the dice.....

2019 Gen 4 Jimny SZ5 in Silky Silver. Parking sensors and Rear Camera, floor mats pack and Rigid tyre Cover

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 23:42 #200700 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Silky Silver SZ5
Great write up from The Mooing Man - objective and helpful. Look forward to your next postings.

• Hammo19
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2019 03:05 #200702 by Hammo19
Replied by Hammo19 on topic Silky Silver SZ5
Thanks for your first thoughts very useful. Looking forward to further updates.

I haven’t test driven either but ordered one. I know I will like it as we live in Teesdale.

More
19 Jan 2019 13:11 #201135 by Themooingman
215 miles on the clock. 100 of them on a 50 mile each way journey on the M20.
This is not really a motorway car but i sort of know knew that and i suppose the result of the trip is that is okay. Its comfortable enough sitting at 65, if you push it just that little further to 70 or above that it gets a bit raucous and feels a little uncomfortable, although possibly might get a little better as the engine wears in. Generally feels okay but wobbles a bit hear there and again due to me not been used to the car it leans a little bit but i am sure its just a character of the car that i need to know its limits/tolerances as time goes on. I suppose for me having a focus RS i have a very fast car vs now a very slow car so its chalk and cheese. I wouldn't want to take the Jimny on extended motorway journeys but again overall impression is you can live with it. It seems better suited plodding around A and B roads, towns and of course off road (which i have not done yet).
On the car and bits in the car, LED lights are really very good and used the high beam assist which works well. Again the stereo/sat nav continues to impress. Doors do need a bit of slam and sometimes if you are to soft with them they do not shut fully. Seat are okay and heated element gets nice and toasty. Lane departure works well although you can turn it off if it gets annoying. Fuel economy seems okay after the drive and so far its saying 37 mpg (presuming the fuel computer can be believed).
I appreciate what price point the car is at and i know its not a luxury model but for me would have like to have the following on the equipment or extras list - auto folding door mirrors - rear parking camera (i know its in japan !) - a sun or moon roof.
So far so good, more to come over the next few weeks, good or bad. Thanks for reading.

2019 Gen 4 Jimny SZ5 in Silky Silver. Parking sensors and Rear Camera, floor mats pack and Rigid tyre Cover
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Bill Portland

• ColdFire
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 14:49 - 19 Jan 2019 14:50 #201145 by ColdFire
Replied by ColdFire on topic Silky Silver SZ5
Happy motoring. I do love one day to upgrade to LED lights they look real nice the halogen ones has very poor light spread.
I did 2200 km on my Jimny so far and I'm more than pleased. I get 400 km out of my tank so less milage on my end. As for rear camera, i'm getting new android screen for my car with backup camera and tire sensors. Will install it soon and keep you posted if you are interested in changing the screen. My jimny did not came equipped with one so i bought one off chine.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2019 14:50 by ColdFire.

More
19 Jan 2019 15:15 #201149 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Silky Silver SZ5
Nice little report Themooingman (Thumbs Up!)

More
20 Jan 2019 18:07 #201237 by tim04
Replied by tim04 on topic Silky Silver SZ5
Nice write up and pretty much the same as me after 150 miles (collected yesterday morning). I am thinking of getting the rear parking sensors - was this a dealer fit, and if so how much? Many thanks.

More
20 Jan 2019 20:30 - 20 Jan 2019 20:37 #201256 by Themooingman
The parking sensors and luxury mats were dealer fit. I believe without checking my invoice they were £249 fitted which saved £60 if you bought them separately. Hope this helps

Last edit: 20 Jan 2019 20:37 by Themooingman.

More
20 Jan 2019 23:39 #201278 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Silky Silver SZ5
Enjoying the feedback - much better coming from a real owner/driver than a journalist who has spent too much time in the corporate hospitality suites.

Like your informative style of writing - it's really helping my understanding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Themooingman

More
21 Jan 2019 10:21 #201307 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Silky Silver SZ5

Themooingman wrote: 215 miles on the clock. 100 of them on a 50 mile each way journey on the M20.
This is not really a motorway car but i sort of know knew that and i suppose the result of the trip is that is okay. Its comfortable enough sitting at 65, if you push it just that little further to 70 or above that it gets a bit raucous and feels a little uncomfortable, although possibly might get a little better as the engine wears in. Generally feels okay but wobbles a bit hear there and again due to me not been used to the car it leans a little bit but i am sure its just a character of the car that i need to know its limits/tolerances as time goes on. I suppose for me having a focus RS i have a very fast car vs now a very slow car so its chalk and cheese. I wouldn't want to take the Jimny on extended motorway journeys but again overall impression is you can live with it. It seems better suited plodding around A and B roads, towns and of course off road (which i have not done yet).
On the car and bits in the car, LED lights are really very good and used the high beam assist which works well. Again the stereo/sat nav continues to impress. Doors do need a bit of slam and sometimes if you are to soft with them they do not shut fully. Seat are okay and heated element gets nice and toasty. Lane departure works well although you can turn it off if it gets annoying. Fuel economy seems okay after the drive and so far its saying 37 mpg (presuming the fuel computer can be believed).
I appreciate what price point the car is at and i know its not a luxury model but for me would have like to have the following on the equipment or extras list - auto folding door mirrors - rear parking camera (i know its in japan !) - a sun or moon roof.
So far so good, more to come over the next few weeks, good or bad. Thanks for reading.

I've found the fuel consumption display to be reasonably accurate. Around 0.1l/100km out. It's a lot better than previous Suzuki's that I have owned, which were usually optimistic by 1l/100km.

More
27 Jan 2019 20:07 #201879 by Themooingman
Quick update. 260 miles on the clock just local hops this week with kids.
Things I am finding out. Auto lights are quite sensitive and the side lights come on a lot when there is a hint of darkness. DAB radio seems to lose signal a bit. It doesn’t in my ford so can presume that the aerial is the weak link ?
Saw other posts on tyre pressures and mine seem to be set between 28 and 30. Have reduced to 26. Not any noticeable different apparent.
Didn’t notice before in regard to rear seat belt warning but noticed it today on the dash when one of my kids has not fastened.
Wife took a ride today and didn’t think much of it - she doesn’t understand character ! Although to be fair she likes it’s looks.
Doors still need a decent slam.
Got a few looks on Saturday as no one really knows what it is yet.
Did a rocky pock marked football ground on Saturday which it handled with ease !
Still liking the little Jimny but took my RS out today and make me appreciate how fast it is and handling so sure footed vs the Jimny. Lucky to have access to 2 cars which at each end of the spectrum !
More to follow.

More
28 Jan 2019 09:01 #201906 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Silky Silver SZ5
DAB radio - it could be the aerial letting the side down - it usually is. THESE guys helped out a friend of mine with a DAB radio that wasn't performing as well as he thought it should.

My neighbour and I have both found tyre pressures to be somewhat critical on the Jimny - too high and you could find yourself trying to stay out of the scenery.

Cars with "character" - unfortunately I have the same problem with my wife. I've just learned to ignore it. Maybe she'll realise the true value of its character when she wants to go somewhere during the snowy season.

Doors probably need a good slam as the seals are still new and fat.

My Jimny has stopped me getting a few speeding tickets, I'm certain of that!!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds