BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 13:47 #206408 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Andy - just a thought, and you are probably way ahead of me, but have you confirmed that the unit you are looking at can cope adequately with any 'false-positives' created by ruts, bumps and rocks off road?

I know you are planning to hard-wire the unit - and the fail-safe solution may just be as simple as an on/off switch. But worth a check?

And another thought - contemplating the complexity of what a dash cam is asked to do, I eventually decided on a cheap-n-cheerful solution - forward-facing only, self fitted and socket powered. It has a Sony processor but no frills. However, it has been reliable over the last two years and @£40 from Amazon I can just 'chuck it away' as soon as it stops working - without any feeling of loss. (No good me giving you the details - as they've stopped making it - but there will be something similar on the market.)

If the mounting modification bills start giving you the 'cold sweats' (been there), it might be worth considering this as an interim solution?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 15:21 #206415 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5

Andy2640 wrote: MIFI deals are as little as £9 a month. So its not mega expensive, but the whole set-up is, and I'm wondering if its overkill.

Keep an eye out for the data SIM only deals. I bought a Three SIM for a previous car for about £30 and it offered 24GB for 2 years. Works out pretty cheap.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 17:35 #206418 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Hi Guy,

Device has a sensitivity setting, and alerts off feature. Its very complex, but fairly easy to navigate.

Its just a lot of money, and i worry it itself may be a target for thieves :-)

Thanks for advice Guy, much appreciated.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 17:36 #206419 by Andy2640

AlexK wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: MIFI deals are as little as £9 a month. So its not mega expensive, but the whole set-up is, and I'm wondering if its overkill.

Keep an eye out for the data SIM only deals. I bought a Three SIM for a previous car for about £30 and it offered 24GB for 2 years. Works out pretty cheap.

Just had a look at these type of deals. A great solution, and very affordable. I had no idea about these pre paid date packages.

Nice1 mate.

More
20 Apr 2019 20:01 #206429 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
They look awesome, but even for a gadget-fiend like me it seems overkill. I can imagine checking remote footage as a novelty when new, but after that.....? Even if you do get alerted, there's little you can do unless you're close by.

The 4K footage does look exceptional though, that would be the selling point for me, rather than the cloud storage and remote view.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2019 20:25 - 20 Apr 2019 21:08 #206431 by Andy2640

Gadget wrote: They look awesome, but even for a gadget-fiend like me it seems overkill. I can imagine checking remote footage as a novelty when new, but after that.....? Even if you do get alerted, there's little you can do unless you're close by.

The 4K footage does look exceptional though, that would be the selling point for me, rather than the cloud storage and remote view.

Hi Gadget,

Ya know what.... I think your right. I had a feeling it may be overkill, and i agree that it would be great the first few weeks, but it is indeed a novelty really.

The 4k model is the dr900s though i think, the dr750s is super HD 1080p. Might have a gander at the DR900 now you mention 4k.

Gadget.....how often could you imagine reviewing footage from your dash cam though? Or is it just for insurance use?

ADDED VIDEO

Last edit: 20 Apr 2019 21:08 by Andy2640. Reason: BEST VIEWED IN 4K FOR A ACCURATE COMPARISON.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:35 #206490 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Well I was about to reply to Georges question he asked the other day about camera views, but it has now disappeared?

Anyway for those interested I have the DR650GW 2 Chanel.

Front Camera

Rear Camera

I can't remember the figures, but the rear cam doesn't have as much resolution as the front.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
28 Apr 2019 19:48 #206874 by Soeley

Soeley wrote: Well I was about to reply to Georges question he asked the other day about camera views, but it has now disappeared?

Anyway for those interested I have the DR650GW 2 Chanel.

Front Camera

Rear Camera

I can't remember the figures, but the rear cam doesn't have as much resolution as the front.

Well reminded George C, here is a reversing camera view to compare the rear dash can to.

• SmallBlue
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2019 19:31 #207077 by SmallBlue
Replied by SmallBlue on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
Brilliant write ups Soeley, with the dinitrol treatment t have they kept it neat , or is there a lot of overspray in places you’d rather it not be? Rochdale isn’t to fat for me may get this done myself , towbar fitting on Friday and new led bulbs for drl’s and fogs.

More
01 May 2019 20:24 #207083 by Soeley

SmallBlue wrote: Brilliant write ups Soeley, with the dinitrol treatment t have they kept it neat , or is there a lot of overspray in places you’d rather it not be? Rochdale isn’t to fat for me may get this done myself , towbar fitting on Friday and new led bulbs for drl’s and fogs.

They did a very good job, don't know if you looked at the pictures? But they do a good job of masking up. If you are going to have it done I would recommend them. You get a free courtesy car as well.

• SmallBlue
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2019 20:42 #207135 by SmallBlue
Replied by SmallBlue on topic Soeley's 2019 Black SZ5
May I ask what the bulb type is in reverse light? Changed my fog and drl’s today what a difference. And as you noted the reverse light is feeble.

More
02 May 2019 21:13 - 02 May 2019 21:14 #207136 by Soeley
THIS IS THE LED the standard bulb is a W21W.
Last edit: 02 May 2019 21:14 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds