BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ola`s jimny project

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 20:16 - 03 Jan 2019 07:03 #191258 by OlaGB
Hi guys

Another Norwegian joining in, sharing my build and hoping for some input`s and tips as i go ahead!

Post nr 2 has complete mod list.

I`m farly new on this forum, and all new to the suzuki scene..
Bought a little jimny recently, after having owned landcruiser`s (even a artic truck 37"), a swb patrol Y61 TD42t, and a ton of different cars from VW`s to M3`s.. I`m "grown up" (on paper), 40y old with kids, and been into cars and motor`s as long as i can remember. Built several high power streetcars etc. But it`s time to go a different direction now! Something more affordable, that can be used for more offroading.

The Jimny was bought to have as a second car, semi-daily driven, with plans for bigger tires, minor lift kit and all the standard stuff. Plans where to stay in a low-ish budget (read: not 35"`s turbo, and portal axles lol) , but still put in money where needed to get it really capable and fun to own.

The car is according to it`s registration papers, a late 2006 car (might have been sitting around for a while?), a VVT manual gear with aircondition. 92000km , and pretty much no rust to be found! Underbody treated when new , good for me.
Bough recently by myself for cheap, as it had a noisy R72 gearbox and some other minor issues. Perfect for me to keep budget down, as i am changing out alot of the parts anyway.

Some scratches here and there, but pretty much dent free . Basicly completly stock technically.

Here`s the car from the day i got it, with crappy painted wheels and a need for a "cosmetic intervention" :laugh: :laugh:

One of the issues with the car, was grinding front hubs.. So i ripped them off when i got there, and drove home without them installed.
Fixed a temporary solution when i got home, just to permanently lock them in, to have 4x4 available in the snow conditions we had.
A 7mm drill, M8 thread and a 8x20mm bolt does the job until manual hubs arrive ;)

Gearbox was up next, fix it before carnage. Typical bearing noise in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, not much but very noticable.
Bought a rebuildkit from ebay, great package btw, and pulled the gearbox out.
Had a buddy to help me press bearings, as i dont have a press. Everything was easy to press though, rarely over 1t pressure to remove them.
Box back in, noise free all good!
Thanks to the guy(s) making this tutorial, helped me alot! www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Gearbox_R72_rebuild

Some pics from the gearbox job:

I also had plans of doing a M16a swap at the time, but couldnt find a motor i wanted when the box was out.
I do have a deal going on , on a 2007 swift sport motor now, so it might happen soon :)

Jimny is a bit noisy inside, si i ripped out the rear seats and panels, to put in noise cancelling mats i bought at a car stereo shop.. Covered the entire floor, rear wheel wells and inside of rear sidepanels.. Big differense in general noise from the rear! No good pictures, just one from the rear well after job done.

A quick cleanup of the enginebay, new oils and belts + a check of spark plugs etc, and general cosmetic shine outside (removing some stickers, fill minor scratches with paint etc), and the car was looking and feeling alot better than it was the day i got it :)
I need a new airfilter box though, previous owner had a thing for open filters it seems.

No new pictures from the outside right now as i`m away for work for acouple weeks, but there will be before/after pics of the lift/wheel install when i get home!

Next post, further mod plans!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2019 07:03 by OlaGB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 20:17 - 03 Jan 2019 07:00 #191260 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Ola`s jimny project
Modifications.. Plans, and updated info on what has been done.
Most/all mods are listed and updated in this post, to keep track of everything done.

It has been many many hours of reading. Alot of opinions to consume, but i think i sorted out most of it and found what suited me best.
As i chose to buy a VVT car, there was desicions to be made regarding driveline, and ratios.
Motor swap isnt as easy to get perfect either (due to high comp in VVT M16`s and me wanting it done the best way i can). I also would like to run 95oct instead of 98oct due to availability.

- M16 swap. Preferably a Swift Sport motor.
Update: Went for a 2007 SSS motor! The SSS motor will also get a M18 intake and throttlebody!
Installed motor and M18 intake / TB, not mapped yet
All wear items also changed (water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, front crank dampning wheel, gaskets etc.)

-Trail gear 3.74/1.17 ratio transfer gears.. The VVT model transferbox has the stronger chain, and trail-gear tech`s claimed very little issues with it. Atleast when only running 29" wheels. This way i get to keep the push button which i like, and the gear ratios are better for my taste than running rocklobster 4.16 on a pre VVT jimny. In comparison, this gives me lower lowrange by about 15-20%, and 5-6% higher highrange (calulated final gearing, as VVT has differend gear and diff ratios)..
Installed, perfect gearing

- JB HD transferbox mount + HD bushes.
Installed -HD bushes, way to much noise, went for new Suzuki mounts.

- Front and rear air locker. ARB copy lockers, RD208 rear, RD206-26 front (26 splines diff!). Air compressor under drivers seat. Installed

- Longfield HD shafts For both axles, with HD knuckles and 26 spline front. Installed

- Winch.. A 8000lbs wire winch , might go syntetic later on. Wireless remote. Jimnybits winch mount with tow points.
Installed, modified winch mount to keep everything inside bumper

- 7x15" ET15 black steel wheels ordered, and i`ve bought BF MT 235/75-15`s.
Installed

- Manual lock hubs.
Installed

- Trailmaster 2" comfort lift kit, TUV approved for MOT reasons.
Installed

- Trailmaster steering damper, TUV approved for MOT reasons.
Installed

- Longer brake lines front and rear, trailgear.
Installed

-Castor correction bushes + new type OEM upgrade rear radius arm bushes.
Installed

- Repositioner brackets for rear shocks with through hole bolts.
Installed

- Rear tow points.
Bought, not installed, conflicts with towbar.

-Snorkel, jimnybits. installed. (i admit it, 99% for looks ;) )

- Protection:
Tree/rocksliders jimnybits installed
Transfer box plate installed
Fuel tank protection Installed
Rear shock protectors, installed

Things that has added on the list :whistle:

- Battery and alternator upgrade.
New alternator (90A) , and Exide EP450 50Ah 750cca battery installed

- Winter tires
235/75-15 Hankook i-pike winter spesific stud tires, on stock wheels

- Lights..
3x Luminalight X80 LED 80w spots, 2x Luminalight LED 25w rear lights

- Sound system
Kenwood ddx5015dab, B2 audio 4x100w rms, 4x JBL GTO speakers, Kicker 10" L7 sub

- Modified boot/storage
Made new rear door panel for more space, and made a deeper storage compartment on the floor with new floor panels
Last edit: 03 Jan 2019 07:00 by OlaGB.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2018 14:49 #191332 by OlaGB
Decision on motor has been made, and the 2007 sport motor is bought!
125hp/150nm motor, with approx same km as my car, 90k km.
I dont care much for running it semi-ok mapped as i want it to run just as good as stock, so i`m probably going full remap.
Need to decide if i`m keeping the stock exhaust header vs 4-2-1, and maybe other mods before spending the money on remap.

Might be upgrading clutch as well, any thoughts? Is it worth spending 3 times the money on the safari tough exedy, or just buy a stock exedy?

More
05 Apr 2018 16:09 #191333 by Keithy
I'm currently building a 2008 SSS M16A VVT for my trayback project......nothing is cheap lol almost everything is very expensive.

Looking forward to seeing which way you go.....

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 Apr 2018 18:21 #191340 by Riccy
Spot on. The swift was my choice as well. I had to use the jimny inlet and exhaust manifolds, which means 125bhp is unlikely im afraid (especially on the standard 1.3 ecu). The swift is transverse mounted so has odd shaped manifolds, which wont work in a jimny. Its also drive-by-wire, so has an electronic throttle body made of cheese.

Kiethy knows M series engines 'literally' inside out. He also does a nice line in body moulding stuff like bumpers and wheel arches (which I am saving up for Kieth ;-) )

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2018 20:47 #191355 by OlaGB

Keithy wrote: I'm currently building a 2008 SSS M16A VVT for my trayback project......nothing is cheap lol almost everything is very expensive.

Looking forward to seeing which way you go.....

Are you going all in, rods pistons etc for turbocharging ?
Any mods planned for the driveline? B)

Expensive is relative, and im not going for a lowbudget build at all, just want to do it "cost efficent" ;)
Allready used 2 times more in parts than i bought the car for ;)

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2018 20:51 #191356 by OlaGB

Riccy wrote: Spot on. The swift was my choice as well. I had to use the jimny inlet and exhaust manifolds, which means 125bhp is unlikely im afraid (especially on the standard 1.3 ecu). The swift is transverse mounted so has odd shaped manifolds, which wont work in a jimny. Its also drive-by-wire, so has an electronic throttle body made of cheese.

Kiethy knows M series engines 'literally' inside out. He also does a nice line in body moulding stuff like bumpers and wheel arches (which I am saving up for Kieth ;-) )

Yeah, the 125hp might be a bit optimistic ofcourse, but with a full remap and maybe some exhaust mods, it shouldnt be too far away.. Not chasing numbers anyway, the main purpose for dyno remap will be to get the widest torque curve i can get, while motor still looking stock :)

Both you guys has very nice builds going on, keep on updating, i enjoy reading about it!

More
05 Apr 2018 21:13 #191357 by j999pre
I've just got a 2012 sss m16a which will be going in when I'm back off my hols. I've dine quite a few 1.6 swaps but as the 2012 is supposed to be 138 bhp I'm looking forward to this one.

Your parts choices seem good. Enjoy your build

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2018 21:47 #191358 by OlaGB

j999pre wrote: I've just got a 2012 sss m16a which will be going in when I'm back off my hols. I've dine quite a few 1.6 swaps but as the 2012 is supposed to be 138 bhp I'm looking forward to this one.

Your parts choices seem good. Enjoy your build

Yeah, i was looking for the 136-138hp as well, but almost impossible to find around here, + very high prices.

What are you planning to do on intake and exhaust?
And clutch?

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2018 17:27 #191414 by MadsV
www.finn.no/117524782

This came out today, what 1.6 would this be with 103hp?

More
07 Apr 2018 20:49 #191421 by yakuza

MadsV wrote: www.finn.no/117524782

This came out today, what 1.6 would this be with 103hp?

Has to be a Liana 2004 non-VVT.
Other suzuki m13a engines cost double that of Lianas in Norway for some reason.

I have no idea why he says it is 103hp.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2018 21:01 #191423 by OlaGB
Yes, he bought a Liana motor.. No idea about the 103hp.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds