BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Ola`s jimny project

More
18 Feb 2019 14:35 #203398 by kirkynut

OlaGB wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Can you please tell me - is your transfer box mounted with the original mounts or the straight through bolt with nylon bushes type of heavy duty mount?

Cheers

Kirkynut

Well, the regeared transfer is a bit noisy (not extreme, but enough), allthough getting better every week. Protection plate underneeth didnt help either...
At first i mounted it with the straight through HD mounts , using the jimnybits metal brackets/mounts.. Way to noisy for me for daily driving. So i bought a new set stock mounts that ive been running for some months now, still using the metal JB mpunts.. Still not quiet, but a hellofalot better than HD.

Ive got noise reduction mats almost on the entire floor, which helps alot for road noise, but gear whine goes straight pass it.

So forgive my ignorance but do you have an old gear meshing with the new gearset somewhere then? Otherwise, what's causing the whine?

I laboured under the misapprehension that these gearsets were as quiet as a standard transfer box.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2019 17:37 #203409 by OlaGB

kirkynut wrote:

OlaGB wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Can you please tell me - is your transfer box mounted with the original mounts or the straight through bolt with nylon bushes type of heavy duty mount?

Cheers

Kirkynut

Well, the regeared transfer is a bit noisy (not extreme, but enough), allthough getting better every week. Protection plate underneeth didnt help either...
At first i mounted it with the straight through HD mounts , using the jimnybits metal brackets/mounts.. Way to noisy for me for daily driving. So i bought a new set stock mounts that ive been running for some months now, still using the metal JB mpunts.. Still not quiet, but a hellofalot better than HD.

Ive got noise reduction mats almost on the entire floor, which helps alot for road noise, but gear whine goes straight pass it.

So forgive my ignorance but do you have an old gear meshing with the new gearset somewhere then? Otherwise, what's causing the whine?

I laboured under the misapprehension that these gearsets were as quiet as a standard transfer box.

Kirkynut

I dont have the exact number, but only approx 50-60% of the gears are changed. And calling them whining might be a bit picky , but i also expected them to be quiet as stock, but they are not.
Yakuza also have the same gears in his, and also reported about some gear whining.
Ive done approx 6000km or so on it now, and its alot more quiet than when just rebuilt. Going to do a second oil change on it this week, so i know all oils are changed at about 100k km!

More
18 Feb 2019 20:53 - 18 Feb 2019 20:56 #203420 by yakuza

OlaGB wrote:

kirkynut wrote:

OlaGB wrote:

Cheers

Kirkynut

Kirkynut

I dont have the exact number, but only approx 50-60% of the gears are changed. And calling them whining might be a bit picky , but i also expected them to be quiet as stock, but they are not.
Yakuza also have the same gears in his, and also reported about some gear whining.
Ive done approx 6000km or so on it now, and its alot more quiet than when just rebuilt. Going to do a second oil change on it this week, so i know all oils are changed at about 100k km!

I happen to work with designing gearboxes for ships. Not directly comparable as our gearboxes are of a bit larger size. Usually "my" boxes are used in ships with engines from around 1000kW and up to 10000kW. Some even larger. All our gear sets are tailor made.
A silent gear mesh should have no grinding action (scuffing) between the teeth and a helix angle so that the next set of teeth comes into work before the last has let go so to speak. this however may not be achievable with large reductions and/or with all modules (size of teeth). Sometimes you will have to put strength and gear reduction before the noise. The aftermarket gears for the Jimny will also have to take production price into consideration and grinding the surface of the teeth is very expensive. To achieve a silent mesh the price would be high, and the high reduction ratio may not be possible with the strength we would like to have with the added torque. Also the preferred "silent" ratios may not be room for inside the box and in conjunction with the existing gears and the rest of the ratios in diffs and gearbox.
It is bound to be a compromise of all these factors.

The gears i bought was not ground on the tooth flanks. The scuffing however has ground the flanks thru usage so the noise has gotten way better with time. now i think it is acceptable. But still very noticable. My homemade 4.16:1 rocklobster boxes with welded gear wheels was not this noisy.
Still very pleased with the drivability and overall performance with 235's. Love them!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 20:56 by yakuza. Reason: typo and changed my mind a bit..

More
19 Feb 2019 08:55 #203441 by kirkynut
Thank you chaps.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 11:27 #203448 by OlaGB
Thanks for explaining Yukaza :)

Got inspired for a quick oil change yesterday evening, and went from a relative cheap (but in spec) oil, to castrol syntrans.
Old oil was alot(!) better looking than the first change.
Now noise level has improved even more, and even though i can hear it, it`s not annoying anymore. Syntrans FTW.

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2019 19:28 #206339 by OlaGB
Finally spring time, back on MT's after some months on stud tires.

Mountainbike season has started as well, and i can't stop laughing at the little jimny with the huge bike/bikerack :laugh:

Attachments:

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2019 22:21 #206347 by OlaGB

GeorgeC wrote: [
A good example (above) of where an Auxiliary Plate would be useful!
See Thumbnail, below.

Yeah, its not allowed to drive like this, got to get my finger out of....some day soon :)

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2019 11:54 #207589 by OlaGB
Out testing the (hopefully) last snow this season!
Very bad traction, wet rotten snow. But the jimny crawled through most of it!
The low range gearset is really helping in these conditions, as you need to go slooow to pack tracks for the tires to avoid getting stuck, hanging on the frame.
1.st low, almost at idle was needed at times. Even with lockers on.

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 May 2019 12:18 #207598 by Lambert
Very pretty. Bit too cold for me though!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2019 14:47 #207612 by OlaGB
Snow is fun when you can drive up to it in the mountains like this, just for fun! Gets boring real quick around the house.
+11`C when pics where taken, which explains the rotten snow :)

• OlaGB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2019 08:41 #209461 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Ola`s jimny project
I wanted to update my mod list, for my own sake, but the forum wont let me edit my posts for some reason.
So i just quote the post to clean it up and edit it for now.

Only new thing happened lately, is new calipers and pads up front. Car is used daily, and works great :)

The list:

- M16 swap. 2007 Swift Sport motor, 93k km when installed, pretty much same km as the car. Stock Jimny ECU.
All wear items also changed (water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, front crank dampning wheel, idler wheel, gaskets etc.)

- New Exedy clutch.

- Gearbox overhauled. Changed all bearings due to known whine noise issue.

-Trail gear 3.74/1.17 ratio transfer gears, for the stock VVT button type transfer box. This gave me lower lowrange by about 15-20%, and 5-6% higher highrange. Perfect gearing for 235/75-15, and great low range for offroad.

- JB HD transferbox mount + new suzuki mount bushings.

- Front and rear air locker. ARB copy lockers, RD208 rear, RD206-26 front (26 splines diff!). Air compressor under drivers seat.

- Longfield HD shafts For both axles, with HD knuckles and 26 spline front. All new wheel bearings and seals.

- Winch: Escape Evo 8000lbs with wireless remote. Jimnybits winch mount with tow points, modified to keep mount inside bumper.

- 7x15" ET15 black steel wheels, with BF MT 235/75-15`s.

- Manual lock hubs from jimnybits

- Trailmaster 2" comfort lift kit, TUV approved for MOT reasons.
15mm lift rings up front, to support extra weight from winch.

- Trailmaster steering damper, TUV approved for MOT reasons.

- Longer brake lines front and rear, trailgear.

- New brake calipers and pads front.

- Castor correction bushes + new type OEM upgrade radius arm bushes.

- Repositioner brackets for rear shocks with through hole bolts.

- Rear tow points bought, but not installed.

-Snorkel, jimnybits.

- Protection: All from jimnybits
Tree/rocksliders
Transfer box plate
Fuel tank protection plate
Rear shock protectors

- New alternator (Ebay 140A)

-New battery Exide EP450 50Ah 750cca. A little work to fit.

- Winter tires 235/75-15 Hankook i-pike winter spesific stud tires, on stock wheels

- Lights..
3x Luminalight X80 LED 80w spots, VERY powerfull quality LED lights
2x Luminalight LED 25w rear lights, also very good lights.
Powerfull LED bulbs in stock backing light lamps

- Sound system
Kenwood ddx5015dab, DAB antenna, B2 audio 4x100w rms amplifier, 4x JBL GTO speakers, Kicker 10" L7 sub in custom box.

- Modified boot/storage
Made new rear door panel for more space, and made a deeper storage compartment on the floor with new floor panels.
More storage room than stock, even with the woofer in the trunk!

- Noise cancel mats in floor and sidewalls. Reduced alot of road noise!

- Recaro seats from Ignis Sport. One of the best upgrades, great seats!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds