BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza

More
30 Jul 2018 10:34 - 30 Jul 2018 10:37 #194714 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
Recieved the syncro ring from my local dealer after two weeks. Now the case slipped together nicely and shifting and everything was as it should be.
Have been driving with the 87% low/17% high reduction now for a couple of weeks and this kit goes well with my 235's. Much more smooth and flexible thru the grears at normal driving. It is a bit high rpm for highway use but not too bad.
First trip was going south for a 8 hour drive with a 600kg trailer. Just as well to get used to the abuse right away
There is a lot of gear noise when the gears are new but it got much better thru the first 1000km. Still whines a lot though so if you do not need the lower gearing in the high range i would considering not to fit it and settle with the 70% reduction in the low range. With my experience now i am not sure i would fit the high range again if i knew the noise would be like this.
I kept the original gears of course so i might remove the high range reduction some time in the future if i don't get used to the noise.
It think that at that price the gears should have been ground and polished for less noise. I still would pay more if i knew they had less noise.
Hoping it will get a bit better after an oil change.

Annual meet coming up so i have te get the car ready:
- check the brakes
- check for play in the front
- change engine oil
- change transfer gear oil
- mount my CB radio, under car camera, led bar and other stuff if there is time..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2018 10:37 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2018 10:18 #194836 by yakuza

yakuza wrote:
Annual meet coming up so i have te get the car ready:
- check the brakes
- check for play in the front
- change engine oil
- change transfer gear oil
- mount my CB radio, under car camera, led bar and other stuff if there is time..

Done:
Brakes checked. slight oil residue in the rear drums so I will have to change the seals. just cleaned for now.
Checked front end for play, found nothing. Will have to get the wheels balanced.
Transfer oil change done. Oil did not look too bad but some grey matter from the new gear wheels.
CB mounted and antenna adjusted and checked.

The meet was postponed due to forest fire hazard so I got until September now..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
18 Sep 2018 06:16 #196086 by yakuza
Not long now, driving south on Friday for 8-9 hours for the annual Suzuki meet :)

After reading someones post about flushing the catalytic converter i thought i would give it a go in the weekend. flushed it out and blow dried with my dogs big blower fan. kind of helped a bit so yesterday i went to the Biltema (Halfords lookalike) and bought a universal cat converter for NOK699 approx GBP70. Also bought a M18x1.5 weld nut for the lambda, drilled a hole in the same position as in the old cat, and welded it.
Then cut out the old cat from the pipe and welded in the new cat.
WOW the difference!
Now i got power above 4000rpm!

Haven't tried going uphill yet to check if the ignition pinging is reduced, but wouldn't be suprised if it helps.

Only regret now is that I did not change the complete pipe for a 2". the bend from the manifold and down to the cat is tiny..
It looks ok on the outside but it is a double pipe with insulation so the inner diameter is like 40mm.

Next now is to tidy up my electrical connections and get the wheels balanced and I'm off on Friday morning!

More
10 Oct 2018 07:13 #196620 by yakuza
Got a ding on the front of my hood. Stupid driving. So got most of it out again, put on filler, sanded, primed, and sprayed it satin black. Looks better than a dent. :)

Attachments:

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2018 07:39 #196625 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
I think we need acouple more pics of that front , from different angles :)

Nice fix!

More
10 Oct 2018 08:17 - 10 Oct 2018 08:17 #196627 by yakuza
That will only reveal what a poor job this was :)
But I'll post some later..

New regulations for lights now so I'll probably buy 3 or 4 7" lamps to put there..

Last edit: 10 Oct 2018 08:17 by yakuza.

More
11 Oct 2018 07:33 - 11 Oct 2018 09:17 #196652 by yakuza

Silver car has 215's and m16 otherwise original. Not mine, a colleague.

Have been considering black bedliner on bumpers and arches.
Not sure anymore but front bumper is well scratched.. :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Oct 2018 09:17 by yakuza.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2018 18:59 #196667 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
Not bad at all!

More
06 Jan 2019 22:28 - 06 Jan 2019 22:46 #200099 by yakuza

A Bit Windy this new years day so our Boat House got it.. This picture is when we got the boat out unharmed luckily.
Have no idea how I could do this without the Jimny. Probably would have to buy a tractor or something.. Pretty steep grass hill to get down to the sea here from the road. Used the Jimny to pull out the other boat as well helping the insurance people. Hoping insurance will cover most of the damage.

Finally got time today to fit Diesel jimny vented brake discs and Vitara 5 door calipers.
Old discs looked awful with a sticky black something on them and rusted spots as well.
Also had some brake wobble emerging again.
No issues with the job, just plug and play.
Bought calipers with brackets and shoes years ago for my SJ but the SJ do not need brakes yet.
No problems venting the air out of the calipers and lines. Just lay the brake disc with caliper on on the side on top of the axle with the caliper vent upright.

Also did my rear brakes as they had been looking bad inside due to brake fluid leakage. Changed both sides cylinders and shoes. But on one side there was also oil so changed the axle oil seal as well. Nice to have a well stocked shelve with SJ parts. Oil Seal was the same.

Brakes now feels good of course, but the improvement on my car was mostly due to the worn parts i swapped off it.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jan 2019 22:46 by yakuza. Reason: add info

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jan 2019 05:23 #200110 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
Ignoring the fact that your boat shed seems to have had too much vodka, I'm not at all envious of you, no sir, not one bit jealous! What a beautiful place to live!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Jan 2019 06:31 #200112 by yakuza

Lambert wrote: Ignoring the fact that your boat shed seems to have had too much vodka, I'm not at all envious of you, no sir, not one bit jealous! What a beautiful place to live!

Boat shed new year celebrations. Wind came suddenly from the wrong side. Can't remember it coming down the hillside like this ever.
It sure is beautiful, funny how I never thought of it like that when I lived there growing up.. It was just an old ragged sheep farm.
No sheep since 1990 here, but the neighbors sheep still holds the forest off the fields.
I do not live there, but hoping to have a cabin or something here one day. My uncle owns the place now.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jan 2019 10:17 #200115 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
I know what you mean, I lost interest in our farm for a long time but having come back to it i couldn't leave again.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds