BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza

More
07 Apr 2017 17:29 #180036 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Thanks for the tip. Will check if throttle body from Liana is wider, and swap if it is. Have to use jimny idle valve thing right? Pictures of progress below.

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Apr 2017 17:59 #180038 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
The throttle body i used was from an 04 liana 1.6 and it was a straight swap, no pipe issues, no idle valve to swap. it does now idle at lower RPM, and i haven't had a long test run in it from a cold start yet to see what its like, but initially its a definite improvement on the jimny TB.

sizes are 46mm for jim and 50mm for liana. both are cable (not drive-by-wire, which the swift one my engine came with was).

Riccy.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
07 Apr 2017 18:38 #180041 by yakuza

So far so good. Not broken anything and still got my office fingers intact.
Loosened servo pump and ac, exhaust manifold and all wires on that side. Started on intake side but that's where most of the hoses and wires is. Forgot to pull the fuel pump fuse while the car was running so haven't disconnected fuel lines yet. I am going to put clamps on them. Generator is loose and all on front end. Will be tight around the ac lines..

Leaving this for tonight to go spend some time with the family, but will be back tomorrow morning.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
07 Apr 2017 20:34 #180046 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
I'm wondering if the inlet on the VVT manifold is 50mm on the VVT version?

Tonight I sandblasted all the steel bits needed to change over to the 1.6VVT....then powdercoated them.

On the pipe to the rear of the waterpump spray some penetrating oil into the join and wiggle it side to side and it comes away easier.

More
08 Apr 2017 12:29 #180064 by yakuza

Riccy wrote: The throttle body i used was from an 04 liana 1.6 and it was a straight swap, no pipe issues, no idle valve to swap. it does now idle at lower RPM, and i haven't had a long test run in it from a cold start yet to see what its like, but initially its a definite improvement on the jimny TB.

sizes are 46mm for jim and 50mm for liana. both are cable (not drive-by-wire, which the swift one my engine came with was).

Riccy.

My 08 Liana VVT throttle body is also 46mm so no point in swapping these.

More
08 Apr 2017 17:34 #180072 by yakuza
Not so much progress today, have been wrestling with stuck bolts on the gearbox flange. Finally got to them now. Looks like I'll be lifting it out tomorrow.
Hooking up two wrenches-trick.. Jimny engine still in the car.

More
09 Apr 2017 09:58 #180089 by yakuza
Engine finally coming out.

More
09 Apr 2017 14:25 #180090 by yakuza
Switching over oil pick up and sump.
First picture, longest tube is jimny, other short one is M16 Liana.

More
11 Apr 2017 19:40 #180152 by yakuza
Got the engine lifted into the car just to find two pins in the engine flange that coincided with two pins in the gearbox flange. So lifted the engine back out, removed pins in the engine and now everything ok.
Motor started up nicely first attempt.

Got a engine warning lamp, fault code says HO2 Sensor no. 1. (lambda)
Could be I have yanked wires too much.

Tips:
Have all service items ready, coolant, oil, filter.. Clutch? Check donor engine for leaks, easier to fix when engine is out.
Silicone gasket, loctite.
Remove both manifolds from the car. Makes everything easier imo.

Check donor engine flange for pins.
Use the donor fuel injectors, rest from jimny.

Maybe I'll do a write up later. ☺️

More
12 Apr 2017 22:01 #180201 by yakuza
Now I have driven the car couple of times. Very pleased with the low rev torque. 235 75 15 tires on the car and definitely not changing gears in high range. Low range crawl however should be lowered at some point in the future.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 Apr 2017 18:58 #180219 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Great news!, and welcome to the (exclusive) M16 club :-)

I had similar gearbox flange pin problems. How did you get on with the coolant output from the water pump? i couldnt swap the jimny's output plastic thing as studs didnt line up, so ended up with a flexi hose to connect A to B. Be interesting to know for what engines are easier to swap than others?

I found after more test driving that it was a bit over-geared with the 235 tyres on, but i can live with it (unlike the 1.3 with them tyres, which couldnt do 70). I do have an earlier t-box (stick type) and am after some earlier diffs, which will correct the gearing nearly exactly to the tyre size. Ive also got a full-on rocklobster t-box in the shed for when i fancy some bigger rubber :-)

I find it is sitting at loud setting on the snorkel when doing 70 with the M16 (approx 3900rpm) so should be higher RPM (quieter) and 1st gear setting off feels like its straining the clutch a bit, hence the looking at gearing options. Im pretty good at the gearing calculations if you want to know more ;-) Low box is ok, but not low enough for any sort of rock crawling.

Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
14 Apr 2017 11:22 #180236 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza

Riccy wrote: Great news!, and welcome to the (exclusive) M16 club :-)

I had similar gearbox flange pin problems. How did you get on with the coolant output from the water pump? i couldnt swap the jimny's output plastic thing as studs didnt line up, so ended up with a flexi hose to connect A to B.

Riccy

I used the complete thermostat housing from the Jimny.....complete with plastic inlet......I did wonder which part you couldnt fit.....ergo the long hose?

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds