BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Expedition Jimny Project

• Safarisan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 19:08 #114874 by Safarisan
Replied by Safarisan on topic Expedition Jimny Project
Great idea, dude! How do you strap everything down? My biggest fear is the freezer becoming a lethal projectile if the handling goes pearshaped. Otherwise very nice!!!!! ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 May 2014 19:01 - 13 May 2014 19:02 #115119 by Decalwizard
Replied by Decalwizard on topic Expedition Jimny Project
Glad you like it buddy

Everything on the roof is bolted firmly to the rack so it wont move..

Inside the car the fridge and other boxes ate all held in place by bump stops and heavy duty ratchet straps..

The Jim handles pretty well considering the weight on the roof, I try and keep as much of the heavy stuff low down so it counter acts the top end weight
Last edit: 13 May 2014 19:02 by Decalwizard.

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2014 21:51 - 18 May 2014 21:55 #115666 by Decalwizard
My final update of the Overland Jimny as I am busy working on another project, I thought it was only right to finish the thread I started before I leave..

Here goes..

The Rotopax Fuel can(s) finally were fitted to the rear wheel on a special bracket that was fabricated. The Rotopax bracket can carry a 1.75 Gallon and a 3 gallon pack together and can be locked with the locking Rotopax bracket

I also got round to fitting the micro shovel on the rear door with the Quick Fist Brackets (No Jokes)

The Awning was removed and fitted to the passenger side and the tent spun through 180 degrees so I could fit the snorkel

The roof tent outer cover has been replaced with a brand new Tuff-Trek Cover

The Winch Plate & Winch are now fitted

All the brakes have been replaced (Drums, Shoes, Pads & Disks) and the suspension now lifted 2" & the front and rear axles have been trussed for extra strength.

I have also fitted the Tyre Dog Tyre Pressure monitoring system (To the right of my Satnav)

I also managed to locate some super strong storage boxes to fit where I used to carry the fuel cans

Other than the purchase of a T-max compressor, a new awning room & a solar panel that is pretty much it. Its now time for the Jimny to pay me back in enjoyment..

I will pass by every now and then for a browse, Its been fun.. Hope you all keep enjoying your little Tonk's

DW
Last edit: 18 May 2014 21:55 by Decalwizard.

• 2014Nathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2014 21:54 #115668 by 2014Nathan
Replied by 2014Nathan on topic Expedition Jimny Project
Wow looking really good buddy keep it up! Couple of questions, where did you get those storage boxes from? And also iv just ordered a winch aswell with the same mounting plate, easy enough to all fit up? :)

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2014 22:00 #115672 by Decalwizard
The Storage boxes came from Trade Systems UK

The winch was a cow to fit but it may not be the same for all years of Jim, My winch had the clutch lever right at the top and it hit the top cross member so I had to strip it and re-locate the lever lower down

• 2014Nathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2014 19:42 #116127 by 2014Nathan
how have you wired up your winch buddy? using a second battery? one bigger battery? just wondering whats best for when i fit mine hopfully this weekend :)

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
23 May 2014 21:25 #116143 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Expedition Jimny Project
You are fine wiring the winch to the single standard battery as long as the engine is running when in use, if using it for extended length of time let it have a break and the battery recharge a bit, if you want to do some regular heavy winching use two batteries, one specific to the winch with a heavy duty split charge system designed for winching.

Above is from experience, on the rare occasion I use my winch have had no problems on this Jim or the last. Friends use same single std battery setup too.

Gary

• 2014Nathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2014 22:11 #116151 by 2014Nathan

funkyjimny wrote: You are fine wiring the winch to the single standard battery as long as the engine is running when in use, if using it for extended length of time let it have a break and the battery recharge a bit, if you want to do some regular heavy winching use two batteries, one specific to the winch with a heavy duty split charge system designed for winching.

Above is from experience, on the rare occasion I use my winch have had no problems on this Jim or the last. Friends use same single std battery setup too.

Gary

That's ok then iv got a slightly bigger battery for the standard size holder so I'll try it with just the one see how I get on then. It's only there if I need it for self recovery / move fallen trees not going out and planning on using it :) Will Hopfully have it fitted up this weekend

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2014 10:17 #116331 by Decalwizard
Hi Nathan

I am running mine of a single bigger High Cranking Exide battery, as said above for emergency rescues you will be fine as long as the engine is running and you only operate the winch in small bursts. Ideally a second battery is always the best option then you dont risk not being able to start the car

More
26 May 2014 10:22 #116332 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic Expedition Jimny Project

Decalwizard wrote: My final update of the Overland Jimny as I am busy working on another project, I thought it was only right to finish the thread I started before I leave..

Here goes..

The Rotopax Fuel can(s) finally were fitted to the rear wheel on a special bracket that was fabricated. The Rotopax bracket can carry a 1.75 Gallon and a 3 gallon pack together and can be locked with the locking Rotopax bracket

I also got round to fitting the micro shovel on the rear door with the Quick Fist Brackets (No Jokes)

The Awning was removed and fitted to the passenger side and the tent spun through 180 degrees so I could fit the snorkel

The roof tent outer cover has been replaced with a brand new Tuff-Trek Cover

The Winch Plate & Winch are now fitted

All the brakes have been replaced (Drums, Shoes, Pads & Disks) and the suspension now lifted 2" & the front and rear axles have been trussed for extra strength.

I have also fitted the Tyre Dog Tyre Pressure monitoring system (To the right of my Satnav)

I also managed to locate some super strong storage boxes to fit where I used to carry the fuel cans

Other than the purchase of a T-max compressor, a new awning room & a solar panel that is pretty much it. Its now time for the Jimny to pay me back in enjoyment..

I will pass by every now and then for a browse, Its been fun.. Hope you all keep enjoying your little Tonk's

DW

they look like tabacco storage boxes they use in the factorys ive got a load of then but don't think I have any lids theres a place in millbroke Southampton that's sells them im sure they were only 4 pound each

JIMNYLESS

More
26 May 2014 10:25 #116333 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic Expedition Jimny Project
www.solentplastics.co.uk/

heres the place

JIMNYLESS

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2014 15:19 #116356 by Decalwizard
I saw them on Ebay too, very good prices might have to bag some more :)

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds