BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
20 Jul 2015 21:56 #148125 by kirkynut

Daniel30 wrote: Very nice should think it was very satisfying when you had finished B)

It was once I'd had a shower, got all the paint off of me and from my hair and was sat down having packed up with a beer in my hand (non alcoholic unfortunately for health reasons but Becks Blue is quite nice!).

Cheers John!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2015 05:51 #148142 by OllieNZ
Looks really good, I think that's got to be the next job for mine.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2015 05:56 #148144 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
And me!! was it just Hammerite you used?
Cheers

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2015 08:14 #148153 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
:woohoo: :woohoo: great job Rob hope you weren't to dizzy getting up after all that work on your back ... :ohmy:

More
21 Jul 2015 08:22 #148155 by kirkynut
Cheers chaps. Yes just Hammerite in Satin Black.

You have to make sure that you clean every bit of dirt off it before hand.

I've used it before on areas that looked vulnerable to rust but only done it in patches. It holds up well for a few years of being covered in mud and then pressure washed.

It's not a permanent solution. It needs repeating every few years if used off road and pressure washed. It's paint at the end of the day and it gets chipped. You could go over it with Stone Chip or underseal but I don't like Wayoil as it never really sets and gets on your clothes every time you work on the car and creates pockets within itself for moisture to collect. You can't see the problem till it's too late then.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2015 11:09 #148171 by Daniel30

kirkynut wrote: Cheers chaps. Yes just Hammerite in Satin Black.

I've used it before on areas that looked vulnerable to rust but only done it in patches. It holds up well for a few years of being covered in mud and then pressure washed.

It's not a permanent solution. It needs repeating every few years if used off road and pressure washed. It's paint at the end of the day and it gets chipped. You could go over it with Stone Chip or underseal but I don't like Wayoil as it never really sets and gets on your clothes every time you work on the car and creates pockets within itself for moisture to collect. You can't see the problem till it's too late then.

Kirkynut

Great Cheers - what about the Hammerite underseal is that no good? Or is the paint easier to apply and last / protect the same?

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2015 16:22 #148189 by OllieNZ

Daniel30 wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Cheers chaps. Yes just Hammerite in Satin Black.

Kirkynut

Great Cheers - what about the Hammerite underseal is that no good? Or is the paint easier to apply and last / protect the same?

I've just used some of the hammerite underseal on mine, it dries hard unless you get it on too thick and it has a similar consistency as a light grease but brushes on evenly and smoothly.

More
21 Jul 2015 18:52 #148200 by helijohn

OllieNZ wrote: I've just used some of the hammerite underseal on mine, it dries hard

Absolutely, and it is as tough as you need for years. I usually expect over 5 years and it has been much longer on my Pajero.

Quite by chance just I am dealing with the last bit of rustproofing. I left it cos I needed to remove the bumper and with no workshop manual it was going to be a nightmare.....and it was! :laugh: Three hours to get it off. :angry:

Now here's a sight not often seen online. A Junior with the bumper removed.

After rotary wire brushing I have treated all rust areas with Jenolite and then applied a liberal coat of Hammerite underseal with added Waxoyl. It will be dry enough to handle tomorrow so I can reassemble and get back on the road.

Also gave the same treatment to the bumper frame.

Pulled

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2015 19:55 #148204 by Daniel30
Nice..... that was some time to get the bumper of then? Wow

More
21 Jul 2015 20:42 #148212 by gusthegorilla
That's one hell of a job you've done there, Kirkynut...your dedication to the Jim is highly commendable :)

Out of interest, and to save me some trwling....can you buy black Hammerite in catering packs? :woohoo:

Gus :)

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2015 20:48 #148214 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Good time of the year to get these 'under side' jobs ticked off the list .... :whistle:

More
28 Jul 2015 15:44 - 27 Feb 2018 22:00 #148583 by kirkynut
The ever versatile Jimny was put to work today with a tip run:

File Attachment:

Then a Road Closed sign meant I had to use a Byway to get home - good job I was in the Jimny then eh!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Kirkynut

Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 22:00 by kirkynut.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds