BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
01 Jan 2014 09:16 - 20 Feb 2018 20:05 #98528 by kirkynut

rhys15 wrote: What size wheel and tyres Is this running in this photo, also do they catch on the inner wing/chassis

Thanks

They're 215/80/15 Malatesta Kaimans. I have no wheel arch liners and have folded my outer wing lips. So there's no rubbing. I've also extended my rear bumpstops to stop rubbing.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 20 Feb 2018 20:05 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Decalwizard
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jan 2014 09:19 #98531 by Decalwizard
Replied by Decalwizard on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Stu Stu has email the Jap company as they may do a right hand version, they sell all sorts of Jimny Stuff..

Is gonna have to wait now till later on though

DW

More
01 Jan 2014 12:52 #98550 by kirkynut
That snorkel sure looks nice but I think the way it hugs the body will cause me issues. A snorkel is easy to do and I've found stuff to make one with but my issues is I want it to look like it's manufactured, not home made.

As there is no snorkel out there for a caged Jimny for sale commercially I have to make one and just do a good job of it!

I'd like to have it sorted by May when we go to the Lakes laning in it.

There is the teardrop version but I understand it's fiberglass, so not flexible and more likely to break after tree attack!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
01 Jan 2014 16:44 #98573 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: I have no wheel arch liners and have folded my outer wing lips.Kirkynut

I'm trying to visualise that being done. How's it done?

Is it not possible to get a foldaway snorkel which is either detachable and used when needed or folds down at the point of entry into the wing and can be folded up when needed; a bit like a chimney pot?? You can tell I don't do any mudplugging. :laugh: :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
01 Jan 2014 23:53 - 01 Jan 2014 23:53 #98639 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I have no wheel arch liners and have folded my outer wing lips.Kirkynut

I'm trying to visualise that being done. How's it done?

Is it not possible to get a foldaway snorkel which is either detachable and used when needed or folds down at the point of entry into the wing and can be folded up when needed; a bit like a chimney pot?? You can tell I don't do any mudplugging. :laugh: :laugh:

To fold the lips of the outer wheel arches you simply take the wing off - a few bolts - then use stout pliers to fold the lip of the arch over on it's self with a pair of stout pliers or mole grips. It's gonna cause the paint to split but you just rub it down and paint it again - it's an offroader so you aren't that worried.

I like my Jimny to look Tidy but sometimes you have to see it for what it is and it's scratched to hell and back so a little rough paint around the wheel arches is nothing.

The snorkel needs to be sealed properly or it defeats the object. So once it's in place you don't want to disturb the seals.

Kirkynut

Last edit: 01 Jan 2014 23:53 by kirkynut.

More
02 Jan 2014 20:43 #98794 by Mud_Muppet
Kirkynut really really like the cage you have on you Jim jam, I remember reading somewhere that it's a custom one, could you tell me where abouts it was made and by who, looks like its welded to the chassis on the rock sliders and then the rest is bolted on ? I've got a Kap internal cage, but Also fancy a external to protect the jimny !

Many thanks Dan

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
White Weller offset Rims with 30" Insa Turbo Special Tracks,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia
Roof Rack with 4 front Wipac,
Rear Wipac recovery Lights
.....Plenty more on its way !!!!

More
02 Jan 2014 21:17 #98801 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:
The snorkel needs to be sealed properly

Kirkynut

I was actually thinking of a rotatable sealed joint, can't think of anything that would do at the moment, something like a scaled up rotating water sprinkler.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

More
02 Jan 2014 21:37 #98803 by kirkynut

Mud_Muppet wrote: Kirkynut really really like the cage you have on you Jim jam, I remember reading somewhere that it's a custom one, could you tell me where abouts it was made and by who, looks like its welded to the chassis on the rock sliders and then the rest is bolted on ? I've got a Kap internal cage, but Also fancy a external to protect the jimny !

Many thanks Dan

Thank you!

It was made by a good friend of mine who has a welding & fabrication business. I often go over to.his workshop on a Saturday if I'm not working & my Mrs is working to help out and learn some fabrication skills. Most times I go over he's working on someone in our local club's offroader.

He has done many cages for Landrovers but they are quite simple due to their square lines compared to Jimjams.

My cage is bolted to Rocksliders that are welded to the chassis. They've taken some direct hits on rocks in the lakes & peaks but are still where they should be and straight!

The cage is made in parts and bolted together in order that if I bend just part of it, it can be unbolted and a new piece made up to replace it. It's done in the same way as Protection & Performance cages.

It sits nice and close to the body and the bends follow the shape of the body closely, which I think is why it looks nicer than KAP or Rhino Rays cages, which are still very good cages.

He tends to only make cages for people he knows rather than commercially as given what it is, if someone expected it to save them and their car in a roll offroad and it didn't they may come back wanting to sue him, as happens. It's more a tree rubbing cage than a roll cage due to not having any cross bracing but linked to an internal cage with cross bracing it would be very strong, but heavy.

There are a few companies in counties near yours that would make you a good cage, such as ORA and you could ask Rhino Ray if he could get one a bit closer to the body.

Kirkynut

More
02 Jan 2014 21:41 - 02 Jan 2014 21:42 #98805 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote:
The snorkel needs to be sealed properly

Kirkynut

I was actually thinking of a rotatable sealed joint, can't think of anything that would do at the moment, something like a scaled up rotating water sprinkler.

It's the seal to the airbox and then what do you replace it with when its removed that's the issue really. Also you'll have a hole in your wing not filled by a snorkel.

I don't know when I'd need it either. I could decide to go though a deep ford when laning at any time and wouldn't want to store it in the car just in case, then faff about fitting it.

It's definately a fit it and leave it fitted thing.

Kirkynut

Last edit: 02 Jan 2014 21:42 by kirkynut.

More
02 Jan 2014 22:46 #98813 by Mud_Muppet
Thank you!

It was made by a good friend of mine who has a welding & fabrication business. I often go over to.his workshop on a Saturday if I'm not working & my Mrs is working to help out and learn some fabrication skills. Most times I go over he's working on someone in our local club's offroader.

He has done many cages for Landrovers but they are quite simple due to their square lines compared to Jimjams.

My cage is bolted to Rocksliders that are welded to the chassis. They've taken some direct hits on rocks in the lakes & peaks but are still where they should be and straight!

The cage is made in parts and bolted together in order that if I bend just part of it, it can be unbolted and a new piece made up to replace it. It's done in the same way as Protection & Performance cages.

It sits nice and close to the body and the bends follow the shape of the body closely, which I think is why it looks nicer than KAP or Rhino Rays cages, which are still very good cages.

He tends to only make cages for people he knows rather than commercially as given what it is, if someone expected it to save them and their car in a roll offroad and it didn't they may come back wanting to sue him, as happens. It's more a tree rubbing cage than a roll cage due to not having any cross bracing but linked to an internal cage with cross bracing it would be very strong, but heavy.

There are a few companies in counties near yours that would make you a good cage, such as ORA and you could ask Rhino Ray if he could get one a bit closer to the body.

Kirkynut[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to reply, i understand the legal sides which you friend could face if some numpty was to sue, shame really because it looks to me one of the best cages out there, really like the bolt on sections, which is simular to my internal cage,

Well if your friend ever mentions making a cage again,let him know that i would be very very intrested in his business

Thanks again and a happy new year to you

Dan

2001 Red Tin Top,
4.5 inch ORA lift kit,
Pro Comp steering damper
Kap Winch Bumper,
White Weller offset Rims with 30" Insa Turbo Special Tracks,
CB Radio,
Stripped Interia
Roof Rack with 4 front Wipac,
Rear Wipac recovery Lights
.....Plenty more on its way !!!!

More
03 Jan 2014 00:41 #98820 by kirkynut
I shall mention it to him and will let you know if he wants to do it. He could have mine to work from. I'll let you know but if you hear nowt it's a no!

Kirkynut

More
06 Jan 2014 17:29 #99402 by kirkynut
I've bought one of these from Thunderpole for the Jimjam:

www.thunderpole.co.uk/switches-filters/r...ntenna-splitter.html

I hope it will help keep the radio reception on our Lakes Greenlaning Holiday later in the year as the standard Ariel is busted and only works in good reception areas.

I've also treated the Jimjam to a new CB Mic and Mic holder as the clip is busted off the old Mic so it spends it's time on the floor in the passenger footwell.

Just waiting for it all to come in the post!

Also made a big old purchase from the BigJimny Shop today of service parts. I'm gonna throw on some new Kingpin Bearings and Front Wheel Bearings before the Lakes Holiday to help ensure a smooth time - even if the lanes are anything but smooth!

I may or may not be sorting a snorkel too. I know I keep banging on about them but I really want it to look professional and not DIY. If I can't see a way of doing it nicely, I won't do it at all. I've survived this far without one!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds