BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
25 Sep 2019 22:18 - 25 Sep 2019 22:21 #213859 by kirkynut
Then today I finally got my new tyres fitted!

They measure up about 10mm smaller than one of the old ones with the most tread left, so I'll lose about 5mm of ground clearance.

They are so quiet compared to the old ones. I cannot actually hear them over the now relatively quiet whine of the rocklobster transfer box. Having spent all of yesterday listening to the old tyres this was like getting in my BMW!

I have been considering selling the BMW and using this as my daily. Now that it is a pleasure to drive, that's even more enticing. Having just spent £360 on tax and I'm about to re-insure the BMW for £325 I think it was - That's money that I could save or spend on the Jimny! Fuel consumption is probably not much different either, albeit the Jimny has a tiny tank.

Alas I did not get new wheels. There's two reasons for this - money and I did not see anything that really floated my boat.

I also got the tracking done. It was way out and that is what likely killed my front tyres. The front Malatesta Kaimans wore oddly and became 50p shaped. This likely increased the noise and created some awful vibrations through the car.

I drove it up to 60 mph a few times with the new tyres on a road that can induce a slight wobble but nothing. Those old tyres with the tracking way out did not create death wobble but there was something going on between 45-50mph. It's just all smooth with the new ones and the tracking done.

Once again I've gone for balancing beads and they have not let me down. No balancing issues whatsoever. I think the tyre fitter was pleased with that option too!

To re-cap for those who've not read previous posts, the new tyres are Maxxis Big Horn 764 Mud Terrains in 235/75/15 flavour.

I'd like to tidy it up a bit now by tidying up some of the wiring and perhaps the bodywork a little. The front nearside arch needs fixing on a bit more securely as the poppers have worn. A bolt is the likely solution.

The rear door hinges need replacing - I have some from the Big Jimny Store that need painting and fitting and that may entail the removal of the rear bumper unless I just drill access holes through it.

The nearside front arch needs a little paint touching up in Hammerite Satin Black too.

I must change the coolant before the real cold comes also, as I cannot remember how old it is.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 25 Sep 2019 22:21 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Sep 2019 04:33 #213862 by Lambert
A Jimny as a daily is the future, much better than an old BMW!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Sep 2019 06:22 #213863 by kirkynut
The only thing that stops me Lambert is that it's nice to have the 3rd car in the household for when one is being repaired by either myself or a garage as we both work different days and times, albeit from the same location.

We shall see. I might just downsize the Beemer or if it doesn't cost me anything in repairs this year, keep it as the upkeep has been a biggie this last year too!

We shall see...

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Sep 2019 08:12 #213866 by Lambert
We used to run 4 cars between 3 drivers for many years on the pretext of maintenance of older vehicles and it kinda worked but more recently we have gone to 3 between us and now Dreadnaught is the oldest at nearly 9 years and honestly it works just as well.

More
01 Oct 2019 12:11 #214100 by kirkynut
MOT passed with no advisories! Boom!

Kirkynut

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Oct 2019 12:45 #214102 by Lambert
Good man! One step nearer to becoming the daily driver! ?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 14:12 #214105 by Daniel30
Nice... Mine goes in tomorrow.....

More
01 Oct 2019 14:33 #214106 by kirkynut

Lambert wrote: Good man! One step nearer to becoming the daily driver! ?

To be honest it was never going to fail! I know this car inside out and know it's in a good road worthy condition. You always feel a little relieved as you walk to your Jimny from the MOT Station office with it in your hand though!

So this doesn't make it closer to being a daily, it's good enough for that already. I think whether or not it becomes a daily is now likely only if my BMW causes me to spend any more on repairs. This year has been an expensive year in that respect and then with the tax and insurance at the end of the year it has made me a little fed up with it. Now I've replaced all the problematic things on it, so I could be giving someone else a well sorted car!

Kirkynut

More
01 Oct 2019 14:34 #214107 by kirkynut

Daniel30 wrote: Nice... Mine goes in tomorrow.....

Good luck!

Kirkynut

The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel30

More
20 Nov 2019 18:38 #215803 by kirkynut
I changed the coolant today. It had blue coolant in so I flushed that out and put 5 year pink coolant in. I really can't remember when I put the blue stuff in but reading it is compatible with any blue stuff left in.

I'm glad I didn't get an air lock as I've effectively refilled it twice today.

I have a Scan Gauge and it appears from that it might be running a degree cooler than before the coolant change.

I doubt I'll leave it 5 years but it gives peace of mind.

Kirkynut

More
19 Dec 2019 22:03 #216611 by kirkynut
I had a message from a friend today with a picture of their family car on the front lawn of their house with the front wheels about 6" dug into the grass.

He had driven onto the grass after we've had heavy rain night after night for some time and his wife tried to reverse it off. So now it was well and truly sunken.

So I drove down their lane with an orange flashing light on the roof to take the piss out of him as Kirky rescue arrived!

I'd told him to fit the towing eye and make me a cup if tea, so all was well upon arrival and it took a gentle tug with the winch to drag it across the lawn.

Car recovered, lawn ruined, tea drunk.

Kirkynut

• Lambert
    Registered
More
20 Dec 2019 05:32 #216616 by Lambert
And I bet if it hadn't had it's wheels spun with full revs in reverse it would probably have driven out. Dig a hole and sit in it!

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds