BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Numberplate meltdown!

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 09:31 #214400 by mickt
Numberplate meltdown! was created by mickt
Whilst working on the EGR fault I happened to notice that the daughters rear number plate was a mess. It turned out it had melted along with the bumper due to a holed back exhaust box! I was/is doing a once over for its MOT so am glad I found it. I don't see the car a lot and the daughter had not noticed it. These back boxes do not seem to last a long time. Does anybody know if Stainless Steel ones are available? The damage to the bumper is going to need some repairs as the number plate light holders is damaged. Thankfully the electrics are OK.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 09:48 #214404 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Numberplate meltdown!
Plastic safety bumpers are wonderful things. I thought some of the later models had stainless as standard, am I wrong? Our '08 has a full stainless system, I didn't put it there and thought it was original.
Chris

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 09:58 #214407 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Numberplate meltdown!
Car is a 2001 model unfortunately

More
07 Oct 2019 10:22 #214409 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Numberplate meltdown!
Bloody hell, thats pretty bad!

Not sure about a stainless steel back box? I recently got a standard one and painted it in heat-proof paint to try and preserve it...not sure if that will work, but we will see!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Oct 2019 11:28 #214413 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Numberplate meltdown!
I got 8 years out of the Suzuki one Dreadnaught came with so for the extra 20 quid over a pattern one I went for another genuine Suzuki one. Just out of curiosity how does one miss a crater like that in a number plate?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 15:46 - 07 Oct 2019 15:49 #214419 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Numberplate meltdown!
Reason2Doubt Funnily enough I bought a replacement today and also bought a can of the high temp paint too. I reckon that where the box went, along the horizontal seam, that it rotted from the inside though so the paint might be a waste but hey you have got to try.
Lambert, Unlike us car lovers most people never check their cars, ever. I had a hell of a time getting son and his wife to check the vitals every week as they both need cars for work. As does my daughter who lives with me and I am still having to pester her to do oil level and such on a regular basis. The only time she lifts the bonnet is when the wash bottle needs water And even then she does not bother to check the other fluids. And yes its me that has to do any work on all their cars! The DIL was lucky as she happened to get into the routine and found that her Astra was using water. It turned out to be the top hose, as we would call it, but both hoses on the car fit on the sides of the rad nigh on nearly opposite each. The hose had partially collapsed and after I had replaced it and doing the check of running the engine '2-2500 rpm until the fan kicked in and as it did the hose from the overflow pipe decided it was time to retire and sprayed the bay with hot water. I found on removal that at some time in its life the hose had rubbed against a wire loom cleat and had obviously been dislodged from its plastic holder. So back to the dealer and that was replaced and checked.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2019 15:49 by mickt.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 15:56 #214420 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Numberplate meltdown!
Blimey that must have smelt bad, a exhaust hanger broke on my exhaust and was just starting to touch the rear bumper.

• wombat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 16:45 #214426 by wombat
Replied by wombat on topic Re:Numberplate meltdown!
Had exactly the same problem with my last two jimnys, and as Lambert said, for not much more the genuine suzuki parts do seem to last longer

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2019 13:54 #214475 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Re:Numberplate meltdown!
No report of smell so I assume the fumes were blown away as she drove.

More
09 Oct 2019 17:31 #214522 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:Numberplate meltdown!
Original ones got heat shields where they need to be, and they will fit better so the distance to other parts will be sufficient. I have messed around with mine up front with the cat part. So it is now an inch or so longer cause I haven't been precise with the dimensions. I Will have to check for this..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 08:50 - 10 Oct 2019 08:54 #214547 by mickt
This one had the heat shield but it only covers the upper surface shielding the floor, not the rear horizontal surface which is where the holes are. I know it is a poor photo but you can make out the shield and the holes on the last two frames.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2019 08:54 by mickt.

• mickt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 09:46 #214551 by mickt
One for mlines Is it possible for you to delve into the IPC and show the picture of the rear bumper mountings for me?
Also is it normal on the forum as a whole to have to log in everytime you enter the system. It used to remember your log in especially if you left and then went back on in the same day but today I have done that 4 times and each time I have to relog! Or is it my computer?

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds