BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny's common problems

• TautvydasP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2019 20:43 #214319 by TautvydasP
Jimny's common problems was created by TautvydasP
Hello. How likely is it that a Jimny will get one of those famous problems like death wobble, bad kingpin bears and etc. if not used for heavy offroading? Should I expect these problems after purchasing a second-hand Jimny (2005 1,3 vvt) and should have the car checked by a mechanic immediately?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Oct 2019 06:09 #214327 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny's common problems
Things like rust and kingpin bearings are inevitable in a Jimny at some point in its life depending on how well it has been cared for and how it has been used. However unless there are the telltale signs of a failure in whatever component I wouldn't be rushing out to replace anything as a matter of course. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TautvydasP

More
05 Oct 2019 07:16 #214330 by Max Headroom
If its a standard set-up, so-called death wobble is not what it sounds like - and is easily curable.
My Jimny was wobbly when I bought it but changing king-pin bearings is not too difficult and doesn't particularly cost an arm and leg.
I don't think you should encounter too many problems even If the vehicle has been used off-road; you can usually tell if something has been 'abused' during it's life.

Although prevention is often better than cure, as Lambert said - "if it aint broke - dont fix it".
These are pretty rugged vehicles

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
05 Oct 2019 07:45 #214332 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Jimny's common problems
If your not mechanically minded and have a trusted garage to give it a once-over, it's never a bad idea with a car that is new to you. If you can afford to do so of course.

There are a few things that they are prone to, early VVT gearboxes have a weak bearing, mine went at 77k miles. £700+ repair. Brake callipers stick, they cost £58ea. Vacuum system for the hubs fails and manual hubs are £100.

All of the faults do manifest themselves quite readily and should easily be picked up when driving. If it drives ok, then it probably is.

sniper

• TautvydasP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2019 08:30 #214336 by TautvydasP
Replied by TautvydasP on topic Jimny's common problems
So, in general, Jimny's maintenance will not be that much more expensive or frequent than any regular car, like octavia?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Oct 2019 09:03 #214338 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny's common problems
The parts are readily available for sensible money and the Jimny is probably one of the easiest cars to work on. I really wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Oct 2019 10:40 #214353 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Jimny's common problems
If it drives fine, just keep it clean underneath- make sure that no mud/road dirt or salt build up anywhere and it will be fine with regular servicing.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
06 Oct 2019 07:38 #214374 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny's common problems
There was a W reg 1999 single cam Jimny in our family that was once mine until it failed the MOT on terminal rust earlier this year. That never needed a king pin bearing or anything other than engine oil change and brake pads with the odd cam belt in 120k miles.

So it's not a given that you will have any issues.

Having said that, her replacement has already had me fit kingpin bearings to one side and that's started leaking again at the hub, so I've got to investigate more!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds