BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering pull

• BAN1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2019 07:55 #213561 by BAN1
Steering pull was created by BAN1
Hi - I have had my Mk4 since March 2019. I love it! It has one issue that I dont like though... it pulls to the right all the time. Looking underneath it seems the steering damper 'pushes on the steering knuckle to the right. Would this be the cause and will it get better as time passes. The dealer just says "even our demonstrator does it a bit" and left it at that. I tired getting a local garage to realign the steering against the Mk3 toe in spec. Just get tyre squeal at tight turns after this. Pull is unchanged. Does seem to be getting less as miles increase (done 3000 now). Has anyone else noticed this steering pull on Mk4s?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2019 08:07 #213562 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Steering pull
Sorry to hear that Ban1. I can't say I've noticed any issues with pull and have done a few more miles than that. I must say I've been driving mainly 4x4s for 30+ years and my expectations are probably lower than they should be. Why not try another dealer (on the grounds of safety) or a tyre shop with good wheel alignment facilities.
Chris

More
16 Sep 2019 15:13 #213569 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Steering pull
I have not noticed any pull in the steering, mind you I haven't driven with 'no hands'. Tyre squeal is pretty normal though. I would try another dealer.

More
16 Sep 2019 15:33 #213570 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Steering pull
The usual suspects are:

Uneven tyre wear between the front tyres eg one worn out, the other new
Uneven tyre pressures
Tracking incorrectly set up
Sticking brake caliper
Damaged suspension component
Tyre damage

I understand your frustrations; with a realatively new vehicle none of the above should be applicable.
Check you have the correct tyre pressures - damned workshops overinflate my tyres every time it goes in.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• BAN1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2019 07:06 #213595 by BAN1
Replied by BAN1 on topic Steering pull
Thanks for all the comments. I wondered if it was to do with the electric steering assist not being set to centre. As the pull to right is getting weaker as the miles go on I'm going to ignore it.

More
17 Sep 2019 19:06 #213629 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Steering pull
Try going from lock to lock a good few times - particularly if you can jack the front up - excercising the system might clear something [he said, clutching at straws :) ]

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds