BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Headlight upgrade?

• wejxf03
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2019 21:48 #210778 by wejxf03
Headlight upgrade? was created by wejxf03
Hi everyone.
I'm a new Jimny owner (2001 auto)
I've just been out for the first time at night and wasn't impressed with the headlights.
I've seen the posts about polishing the lenses (mine are a bit cloudy) but can anyone recommend uprated bulbs.
Mine seem to give a yellowish tinge especially on dipped beam.
Thanks, John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jul 2019 04:12 #210779 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Headlight upgrade?
Welcome to the forum. Lots of people rave on about the Osram Nightbreaker , though I have never used them as I prefer the Ring 190%. The other alternative is less legal and that is an led conversion but there's a restriction that leds can't be used in a lamp not designed for them.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike, wejxf03

More
09 Jul 2019 07:05 #210787 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Headlight upgrade?
Hi and welcome.
Comparing to modern cars which tend to have independent bulbs (or LED) for HI / LO beam, they are never going to complete with this design using a single combined bulb, it's an old design.
That said a lense polish and quality bulbs is going to make the best of them. Never used night breaker myself, tried Halfords own +150% and while they are brighter on HI, LO remains less noticeable and slightly yellow.
I did consider changing my front fogs to combined DRL / Fog, using the DRL to assist LO beam, but never tried this.
May do it one day.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wejxf03

• wejxf03
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2019 08:13 #210790 by wejxf03
Replied by wejxf03 on topic Headlight upgrade?
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
Looking at the the Eurocarparts website I see it's a standard H4 bulb so various makes to choose from.
I'll have a look round.
John

More
09 Jul 2019 11:47 #210792 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Headlight upgrade?
I took on the Osram Night Breakers and have been impressed - it is a big improvement over standard bulbs. Prior to fitting them I was often putting the front fogs on to light the ditch. With the Night Breakers I don't need to
They came from Eurocarparts I think

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2019 13:44 #210799 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Headlight upgrade?
Had my osrams for a few years now, great improvement got them from auto bulbs direct.

More
12 Jul 2019 22:09 - 12 Jul 2019 22:11 #210974 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Headlight upgrade?
I too like the nightbreakers. big improvement from the old ones.

LED for a H4 lamp is a bad solution as the geometry of the light will rarely be correct. Not sure if it is at all possible.

But the 150% and even more, wouldn't those burn the reflectors?
I would be careful to recommend them, just swapped the headlamps on my VW T5 because previous owner had used wrong bulbs. it was a pain of a job btw...

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2019 22:11 by yakuza.

• wejxf03
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2019 22:26 #210976 by wejxf03
Replied by wejxf03 on topic Headlight upgrade?
Thanks guys for all your comments.
Before I saw all the replies I rightly or wrongly ordered some Neolux H4 +50%
Thought it was worth risking from carpartsforless (£10).
Will let you know how it turns out when I get round to fitting them.

Cheers, John.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Jul 2019 06:43 #210984 by Lambert

yakuza wrote: I too like the nightbreakers. big improvement from the old ones.

LED for a H4 lamp is a bad solution as the geometry of the light will rarely be correct. Not sure if it is at all possible.

I would be careful to recommend them, just swapped the headlamps on my VW T5 because previous owner had used wrong bulbs. it was a pain of a job btw...

The 190%bulbs I have are the same idea as the Nightbreaker, the filament winding is the same resistance as a normal 55/60w unit but the mixture of gases in the bulb is different. Instead of halogen they use things like xeon in a proprietary blend that gives a whiter light.

What burns lamps and wires is using higher wattage bulbs like a 100/150w. They are still halogen but have a much higher resistance filament winding and run an order of magnitude hotter than the normal bulb so can easily melt plastic reflectors and draw too much current for the standard wiring

More
13 Jul 2019 22:18 #211001 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Headlight upgrade?

Lambert wrote:

yakuza wrote: I too like the nightbreakers. big improvement from the old ones.

The 190%bulbs I have are the same idea as the Nightbreaker, the filament winding is the same resistance as a normal 55/60w unit but the mixture of gases in the bulb is different. Instead of halogen they use things like xeon in a proprietary blend that gives a whiter light.

What burns lamps and wires is using higher wattage bulbs like a 100/150w. They are still halogen but have a much higher resistance filament winding and run an order of magnitude hotter than the normal bulb so can easily melt plastic reflectors and draw too much current for the standard wiring

Yes I know. Double the watt and you have double the temp. Loss/heat is almost constant for same kind of bulb. But I thought different gases could give higher temperature as well. .

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Jul 2019 06:07 #211011 by Lambert
Not entirely sure if the different gases are hotter or not but but I haven't experienced any detriment in using them over a significant period of time in various vehicles.

More
14 Jul 2019 10:14 #211023 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Headlight upgrade?
I think if you have a higher wattage then the resistance is lower, „closer“ to a short circuit.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds