BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

"Wind up" in reverse

More
05 Jul 2019 09:36 #210663 by mlines
"Wind up" in reverse was created by mlines
BEFORE I start investigating I thought I would put this here for your thoughts/consideration.

BigJimny has:

1. Jimnybits Rear Disc conversion
2. ARB Air locker
3. 3 inch Spring lift
4. "Castor corrected" rear arms (ok, I know its not castor on the rear, its diff nose angle)
5. 16" Vitara wheels with Maxxis Bighorns
6. Rocklobster 4:1

I have a weird problem, she will not reverse properly sometimes on gravel surfaces.

If you enter gravel from a smooth surface, in reverse and slowly, it will cross the gravel just fine.

If you STOP on the gravel and then either enter reverse or continuing the reverse you were doing then within 2 feet it stops as if it is totally wound up , ie the engine will struggle to move the car, the rear of the car rises as if the rear brakes are on and its pushing against them. Pulling forward and then slowly reversing again will often clear the problem.

Has anyone seen anything similar and can point to where to look first. My first point of call is the rear brakes, I am thinking that the handbrake cables are tight and perhaps the movement of the axle and arms pulls the brakes on.

However if someone out there can say "I know what that is" then that would save me looking.

And before you ask the "what was the last thing you changed before this started happening" - it had a complete rebuild so could be anything.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2019 09:41 #210664 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic "Wind up" in reverse
Oh, and note "Gravel" not tarmac for some reason

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2019 11:42 #210668 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic "Wind up" in reverse
My old sankey trailer was a git for this. Even with the brakes override on it wouldn't reverse turns out the tiny bit of movement before the override was enough to make the disks grab.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Jul 2019 15:32 - 05 Jul 2019 15:33 #210670 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic "Wind up" in reverse
The "Gravel only" bit is causing much confusion for me, I can't see why it would be any different on this surface. You have reduced traction, possible uneven loading on the tyres, you would think if it was something locking up you would see it on gravel as said problem skidded in the gravel (reduced traction bit). So let's start with the simple bits.
Brakes - if you had shoes the symptom fits perfect with the leading edge "digging in", you get it a lot with Series Land Rovers in reverse, exactly as you described. So let's just assume your pads are doing the same, time to strip and inspect them.
Whilst you have them apart and the back end up time to spin the wheels and have a feel for anything unexpected, bearings rough, dif locker working as expected? Also have a check of all bushes on the rear for any play.
You can gather from this I don't know, but brake issue needs ruling out first.
Good luck, have fun.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Jul 2019 15:33 by Scimike.

More
05 Jul 2019 16:42 - 05 Jul 2019 16:42 #210671 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic "Wind up" in reverse
I would guess at backlash in the diff.... Drop the back prop and see if you get the same issue when in 4WD and running just the front diff..... might be a quick indicator to the issue....

sniper
Last edit: 05 Jul 2019 16:42 by sniper.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds