BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

poly bushes for panhard rods, are they worth it?

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2019 13:47 #210548 by NineCherries
hello, who has fitted poly bushes to their panhard rods? any issues, any particular brand better than another?

from what i've read on here you cant just buy the standard bushes from suzuki it only complete rods they sell hence why im looking at poly bushes.

TIA
Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2019 16:29 #210551 by sniper
I had read that Superpro had caused issues with vibration (adding to wheel wobble issues ) so I went to Polybush and have been happy with the results, only 5k or so I can't report on wear.

Handling wise they are a non issue, so they must work well. My inner "Sainz" surfaces often and I love a thrash through tight and twisty bits.

When I change direction I can feel the flex in the sidewall of the tyre, there is no slap or bang as weight moves from one side to the other.....

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Jul 2019 17:27 #210554 by Riccy
Ive had floflex and superpro. The floflex were softer, but only slightly. Both seem to last well with no undue effects on driving.

On the radius arms ive gone back to stock rubber for more comfort however :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2019 17:47 - 03 Jul 2019 17:47 #210555 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic poly bushes for panhard rods, are they worth it?
Thanks. I was only going for poly in the panhard as I couldnt find standard rubber anywhere.

From your experience guys, how much harsher are poly bushes in the radius arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edit: 03 Jul 2019 17:47 by NineCherries.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
04 Jul 2019 05:27 #210573 by Riccy
that makes sense. Fitting the polybushes in the panhards makes little to no difference in reality.

The radius arms with poly bushes is a bit more obvious. Its mainly road noise and vibrations. much more noticeable difference off-road. More steering feel, but more shaking as well.

Some subscribe to the theory that polybushes limit the flex of the vehicle, compared to rubber. I never found a problem with either really. Ultimate flex is best achieved with 'Johnny joints' or 'Rose joints', but these are another level of harsh and seem to wear out fairly quickly compared to bushings. They are also noisy things so not for me!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
04 Jul 2019 08:08 #210584 by kirkynut
With the panhard rod bushes, I found Super Pro to be too hard and promote death wobble. As soon as I swapped them with the orange ones from the Big Jimny shop the problem was solved.

I have Super Pro poly bushes everywhere else. They tighten up the ride on the road without being uncomfortable, so would suit Carlos Sainz, I mean Sniper. However, those who use them heavily off road, whilst not suffering from any loss of flex, have found that they can promote the radius arm mounts to tear away at either end if there is a slight weakness caused by the onset of corrosion.

The flip side is that poly bushes last much longer than rubberlastic ones. So you pay your money and make your choice.

I'd say for a mostly road use Jimnjam, go poly all round but if you go off tarmac a lot then buy a press and get used to changing rubber ones!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jul 2019 08:29 #210586 by Lambert
Define "off road a lot". I am up and down farm tracks multiple times a day and creeping about in fields too but, if it weren't for the clearance of ruts you could do most of it in a fiesta. Are you saying that polly would suit what i do or is rubber better?

Sorry for the thread jacking Ninecherries.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Jul 2019 16:20 #210620 by safari
i fully agree with kirkynut plus do not forget that the diff has very soft metal and easy to tear in offroad . i change them every year

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

More
04 Jul 2019 20:51 #210628 by kirkynut

Lambert wrote: Define "off road a lot". I am up and down farm tracks multiple times a day and creeping about in fields too but, if it weren't for the clearance of ruts you could do most of it in a fiesta. Are you saying that polly would suit what i do or is rubber better?

Sorry for the thread jacking Ninecherries.

I mean lots of hard core flexing the suspension up stuff like Dave, Brett and the intrepid Green Lane Gang do, or at an off road pay and play site every weekend.

Having said that, if you're up and down farm tracks and catching the radius arm mounts on ruts and grounding them out you're going to weaken them and you don't want the bushes to be giving the mounts a hard time too.

So I think that I would use rubberlastic bushes from you're point of view for the longevity of the car.

I'd not seen anyone cause damage to their radius arm mounts when I fitted Super Pro poly bushes but I have now and it was suggested that they may be a cause for the failure, if not the only cause. Being bashed to hell and back is a major cause! Their firmness cannot help though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Jul 2019 04:30 #210647 by Lambert
Cheers bud. I have so far only put 2 new bushes in in 8 years and while it may be close on ruts it doesn't catch. Also the handling is not at all baggy but actually quite civilised. Think I'll stick with what I have. Thank you.

More
05 Jul 2019 06:07 #210652 by kirkynut
No probs. Paint the radius arm mounts on the chassis and axles regularly to prevent rust from weakening them and causing them to tear away. You can't do much about metal fatigue though.

Radius arm mount guards no doubt help but only if you remove them, wash the mud out and paint the mount areas regularly. Otherwise they're mud traps that will encourage rust!

Kirkynut

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Jul 2019 06:18 #210653 by Lambert
Oh it gets looked after like that. Cleaned underneath every year prior to new waxoil and any surface corrosion is applied with inhibiting goo and paint too. It may be a losing battle but I ain't going quietly!

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds