BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Auto Transmision Problems

• Jon Gilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2019 14:23 - 01 Jul 2019 17:32 #210485 by Jon Gilkes
Auto Transmision Problems was created by Jon Gilkes
Hello Everyone!! Names Jon, from a little island in the Caribbean called Antigua. Proud owner of a 2003 jimny with an auto unfortunately. Its got about 95,000 miles on it and for about a year now I've been having some trouble with the auto box. Started out as a normal slip and taking long to shift, a fluid and filter change took care of that twice. However now its doing something even more strange, it will sometimes not up shift at all and stays stuck in what seems to be second, so around 40kph at 5000rpm lol. The flip side to this though is that sometimes it runs perfectly fine. Like nothing at all is wrong with it, fluid is also still red, not bright pink but not dark red either. Pretty much perfect. I had added about half a bottle of some stop slip stuff and that helped a lot.

So long story short is I am trying to figure out whether this could be a mechanical or an electrical problem. The intermittent issue makes me lean towards electrical, perhaps a sticky solenoid? As i feel like if it was mechanical the problem would be present all the time.

Looking forward to your feedback and ideas. Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2019 17:32 by Jon Gilkes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2019 21:01 #210498 by Jim Jim
Replied by Jim Jim on topic Auto Transmision Problems
Hi Jon, there are several things which can cause that, including solenoids etc. Its really hard to do an online diagnostics when it comes to auto transmissions.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the transmission might have to be taken down. Long shot question, does anyone there have a transmission flushing machine?

If I were you, I would try to find someone who is a half decent transmission tech...I know how tough it is to get good service in some of the smaller islands...I am in Barbados now.

There is a Swimming Team here from Antigua right now, meeting with them for dinner tonight. :)

Cheers.

• Jon Gilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2019 12:32 - 02 Jul 2019 12:33 #210506 by Jon Gilkes
Replied by Jon Gilkes on topic Auto Transmision Problems
Hey thanks for the reply. No transmission flushing machines on island. Every other time we flushed it we did it the old fashioned way lol, let go a line of the cooler and pump out all the fluid.

My mechanic can rebuild the transmission no problem, its just if it isn't the seals and clutches that were causing the problem and it was a solenoid then i would have wasted money.

I am pretty much just trying to ascertain whether or not the problem sounds mechanical or electrical, i figure if it was mechanical it would slip and act up all the time not only sometimes.

Also i assume its the A174 transmission that i have? i could not find any stampings on it anywhere but some online research has led me to believe that since its a 2003.

And have fun at dinner with the team!!
Last edit: 02 Jul 2019 12:33 by Jon Gilkes.

• Jim Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2019 13:29 #210508 by Jim Jim
Replied by Jim Jim on topic Auto Transmision Problems
Hi Jon, always helpful guys here...no problem.
Usually when the seals and clutches are bad the issue is persistent indeed.

I have a friend here with a Toyota and is having the same issue, he shipped in a complete valve body, same issue like yours. I have to visit his mechanic to see if I can do some tracking of the issue.

Usually a solenoid that's being stuck can also be intermittent, but that's still a "mechanical" issue and has nothing to do with the electrical. If you are thinking that the solenoids are getting intermittent electrical input, then you will have to wire a test circuit to test this while the Jimny is being driven.

To determine what parts your Jimny has, use this link catalogs.ssg.asia/suzuki/?lang=en

Cheers.

More
02 Jul 2019 15:48 #210513 by RainerK
Just a silly question: could it be that this is related to lever?

From your description I had the feeling the transmission behaves as if restricted to the 2nd gear.

• Jon Gilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2019 12:20 #210547 by Jon Gilkes
Replied by Jon Gilkes on topic Re:Auto Transmision Problems
Lever seems to be working fine, unless its not selecting inside the box, everything outside moves fine though.

Anyone know if there are stampings on the transmission indicating the type?

• Jon Gilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2019 12:56 - 15 Jul 2019 13:00 #211093 by Jon Gilkes
So for some reason my VIN is not found on that website. Any one know how to tell what jimny i have otherwise? all i know is the seatbelt tag says 2003, its an M13 engine with steel wheels not alloys.

VIN tag says JSAFJB43V00185164
Last edit: 15 Jul 2019 13:00 by Jon Gilkes.

More
15 Jul 2019 14:33 #211096 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Auto Transmision Problems

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jon Gilkes

More
15 Jul 2019 23:09 #211108 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Auto Transmision Problems
Automatic transmissions have a failsafe mode.
If there are problems they will generally only work in 2nd and reverse. If there are problems inside the valve body is designed to do that.

Slipping is usually caused by a worn brake or clutch surface. These surfaces wear just like the brakes on your car. In an autobox when something starts to wear like this the particles that have worn or broke off start to stick in things (like the valves and valve body).

When you changed the fluid you replaced the fluid with new stuff with less particles in it which improved things but the worn parts would still be giving off more particles than they should as they broke up. It sounds like your transmission has got to the point where something is sticking to the point failsafe mode kicks in. They are all pretty much the same inside.

I realise why you think it is electrical but you have to focus on what has happened already.
The electrical side has worked fine up until now but your transmission has had known issues which will have released deposits all the way through the transmission. Looking at it like that, a transmission problem seems most likely!

If you find someone to flush the transmission or you change the trans fluid it MIGHT improve things short term but in reality its just a quick fix.

In my opinion the transmission needs to come out, be stripped, throughly cleaned, worn part replaced and rebuilt.

To give you an idea how clean it needs to be, a friend of mine who rebuilds automatic transmissions all day long for coaches has recently bought a demagitizing machine to demagnitize solenoids in the valves just to get a few more particles out because that small amount can affect how the solenoid functions.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you need help, if you want to send a couple of airline tickets over I'll borrow my mates machine and grab some tools from work...

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

• Jon Gilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2019 13:33 #211126 by Jon Gilkes
thanks for this, however i notice it doesn't tell me the transmission code. how can i find that out?

• Jon Gilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2019 13:35 #211127 by Jon Gilkes
yea i came to the conclusion i am gonna rebuild it, change clutch bands, seals etc. so now i am trying to figure out the transmission code so i can order the right rebuild kit from cobra transmissions.

ah if only i wasn't thousands of miles away lol

More
16 Jul 2019 17:10 #211130 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Auto Transmision Problems
If you are under the transmission facing the front of the car the id number is on the left hand side of the transmission towards the rear of the housing.
Its hard to say what the code you need would be, most of the manuals you can access in the UK are for UK or European models where autos arent as popular.
Japanese and US markets prefer autos so there are more likely to be different models of transmission.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds