BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox trouble

More
24 Jun 2019 17:00 #210265 by sniper
Gearbox trouble was created by sniper
My 05' VVT gearbox has died, personal circumstances mean I can't be without a car so I need to act quickly. The trouble is.....

Option1 Rebuild the box at a cost of £720inc. drop it off tomorrow and get it back next day with a free loan car...

Option 2 Fit R7ME box and matching transfer box only £250 in parts but means I've got to go to 235/75 to match the gearing so + £500

Option 2 is the preferred course but I can't get it organised in time.....

Can anybody help with other suggestions???

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Jun 2019 17:41 - 24 Jun 2019 17:42 #210269 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Gearbox trouble
Oh no! :ohmy:

Option 2 would be my choice, but thats a fair bit more work. Dont forget you need to adapt the gearbox mount to fit into the vvt chassis ;-)

A solution might be to consider a cheap hire car/van to bridge the time gap perhaps? Some of the smaller local companies might be open to a good deal for a longer hire maybe?

edit: A 235 spare tyre on the back door will need a spacer to fit ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 24 Jun 2019 17:42 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jun 2019 17:49 #210272 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gearbox trouble
I would second some kind of hire car for a week or so? Would give you some breathing space.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Jun 2019 08:31 #210295 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Gearbox trouble
I have an obligation to tend to my elderly Mother and with the wife's work schedule, I simply could not be without the car for the week or two it would take to get the parts & organise for the R7ME Swap.

So, M&T transmissions it is for the rebuild. They are familiar with the R72 weakness and stated that there would be no re-occurrence with the rebuild, the new bearings are sealed. £600+vat. Only £450 if you take the box to them as a bench job, the bearing kits are around £120, so not robbing you...

Fitting a new Excedy clutch too, the old LUK one gave no trouble (at only10k) but I thought that while it was apart, it was a wise move.

sniper

More
26 Jun 2019 11:24 #210318 by sniper
Very surprised when I collect the car this morning, it feels different to drive....

Gearbox throw has been massively reduced and it feels like the H pattern is tighter, almost like a short shift kit would do....

The Exedy clutch is a revelation too, firstly they've adjusted it properly and the biting point is very low in the pedal travel. The bite from the clutch is much more aggressive too, the distance between slip and bite is minimal. (I stalled twice)

The box itself is quiet and smooth.

To remove and rebuild the R72 gearbox, install a new Exedy clutch and refit gearbox. £827 including the dreaded VAT. from M&T Transmissions, Sheffield. Free loan car provided too. Don't forget that they do it as a bench job for £450+ for those of you who can do the spanner work yourselves.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jun 2019 16:01 #210323 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gearbox trouble
800 with a car, that's cheap!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Jun 2019 16:47 #210325 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Gearbox trouble
Sounds like a good deal and fast service always good to see. Glad it worked out for you :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
27 Jun 2019 14:27 #210362 by sniper
Just a final note.....

When the gearbox noise first manifested itself, I thought it was a loose panel around the nsf wheel, blamed the loose wheel arch liner and removed it. I then realised that the rattle (almost a tinny noise like pinking), disappeared in 5th gear. I had read on the forum, that this was a symptom of the classic R72 bearing failure. Noisy in all gears but 5th....

Without that nudge from what I had read, I may have used the box to the level where it was beyond repair.....

Thanks guys,

sniper

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jun 2019 23:01 #210391 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Gearbox trouble
Not to bad for the price I got mine from cam suzuki think it was £850 delivered and my cousin fitted it, donor was a 16 plate, mine went the same as yours by the way you described it ;)

More
28 Jun 2019 21:00 #210408 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Gearbox trouble
I'm glad this came to a good conclusion for you. I'm lucky that the Jimny is a third car for us, so if it's broken I can fix it in my own time or if one of our dailies goes down, we have the Jimjam to fall back on.

Nonetheless, I've had a split radiator on the Mrs' car and a snapped power steering pump shaft on mine at the same time! It's a good job I can fix them myself and can be resourceful as we both work and have a young child. It gets stressful when your car is busted and you have commitments!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Aug 2019 08:09 #212361 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Gearbox trouble
Sorry to bring up a slightly old thread.

Having the same issue here.

Just been quoted £894 down here in Devon, this isn't too far off the OP price in the end does it sound about right?

its £600 for the gearbox bearing job
£150 for gearbox removal/installation
and £144 for a clutch

Cheers all

Bob - 2005 Jimny - standard, for now.....

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds