BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Problem noise off side front. Help

More
23 Jun 2019 21:25 #210242 by bryn
Yesterday I was driving along track and suddenly hit the main entrance/hole of a badger set. Not particularly fast but the offside front wheel dug right in and came to a sudden stop. I managed to reverse out without calling on farm assistance but it was a heavy stop.
It drove ok after but on occasion on the way home a loud grinding, off balance noise came from the front off side. Once home I noticed the FOS ball joint was leaking oil as per king pin baring problem. No other issues obvious underneath.
Today I replaced the king pin bearings and seal etc which to be fair needed doing in the hope that was the problem..... unfortunately not.
The only thing that caused concern when doing the baring replacement was the cv joint on the half shaft seemed a bit stiff. Nothing obvious as I cleaned the cv joint barings and re greased them. I no longer have an oil leak but the noise continues. The noise is only apparent in 2x drive, and when driving along the way to stop the noise is to put it in 4x drive. The noise occurs sometimes in 2x drive, but not every time and only happens in 2x drive and like I say the way to stop it is to select 4x drive
I suppose my next step is to replace the cv joint.

Help
bryn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jun 2019 04:11 #210243 by Lambert
When you had it apart did the wheel bearing feel ok? Also were the brakes rotating freely? When you examine the actual axle tube do the welds between the tubes and the diff pumpkin appear sound, no obvious cracks or weeping oil? When in 2x4 drive
the front drive line should be at rest and therefore not able to make a noise, unless you are running manual hubs constantly engaged and only switching between 2x and 4x at the transfer box? Other than the stiffness you mention are there any witness marks on the cv and half shaft to indicate it running out of true?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Jun 2019 05:14 #210244 by bryn
All the stuff you mention seem fine. I checked the wheel baring when it first happened with no obvious indications/play in the wheel when jacked up. The half shaft appears true and as you say it shouldn’t make any difference as its not engaged in 2x drive. Its a standard 2007 Jimny with serviceable 2/4x drive.
The noise starts to happen at about 25/30 mph and instantly disappears when I engage 4x drive and as mentioned its not every time in 2x drive.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jun 2019 05:40 #210245 by Lambert
Hmmm. That kinda implies that the shock of the wheel suddenly stopping was transferred further into the transmission. Either that or something odd is happening to the suspension like a bush or damper but that would be a clunk noise.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Jun 2019 07:18 #210247 by sniper
Check to see if your hubs are stuck on, I get a vibration from the front (at the same speed) when I forget the hubs and the front drivetrain is rotating in 2wd.

sniper

More
24 Jun 2019 07:50 - 24 Jun 2019 07:53 #210248 by bryn
I checked the hub by removing the cap when I had the noise and found the hub was as it should be. I tend to agree the shock of stopping has transferred into the 4x4 but Im scratching my head because when in 4x drive the noise stops. Perplexing
bryn
Last edit: 24 Jun 2019 07:53 by bryn.

More
24 Jun 2019 12:38 #210258 by bryn
Bit of an update. I found that one of the vacuum hub wasn’t working at times and so when I thought I was out of 4x4 I wasn’t truly, once 4x4 was fully disengaged ....no noise.
On test drive in 4x4 the noise was constantly there all the time and when out of 4x4 not there. Head scratching.
I have then jacked up all corners and engaged 4x4 and isolated the noise to the os front wheel hub which of course contains the cv joint which was a little suspect.
So Ive gone from trying to source a front axle to replacing the half shaft. No luck with brakers yet but will put a wanted post up. I would prefer the full half shaft rather than replacing the cv joint.
bryn

More
24 Jun 2019 21:07 #210286 by kirkynut
Why do you need a half shaft?

The vacuum operated free wheeling hub on that side is part stuck on so the splines are catching from the CV inside the free wheeling hub.

Bin the vacuum operated free wheeling hubs and buy manual hubs from Jimny Bits. You'll never suffer such an issue again.

To confirm that this is the problem, whip off the free wheeling hubs and see that the noise has gone.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
25 Jun 2019 09:17 #210297 by bryn
Kirkynut, Thanks for your reply, I wish that was the case that it was a faulty hub.
The noise now occurs only in when in 4x4 and I guess that, when it occurred in 2x it was because one of the hubs had not disengaged.
The noise is coming from the off side ball joint/king pin area so its either say the cv joint or further down the half shaft to the differential.
The half shaft is out of balance and I hope its the shaft/cv joint and not the differential.

Thanks
bryn

More
26 Jun 2019 19:19 #210338 by bryn
half shaft replaced, knocking only in 4x4 still there..I think it will have to be an axle from a breakers.
bryn

More
27 Jun 2019 13:24 - 27 Jun 2019 13:30 #210358 by bryn
Sorted. I hope??

I found the following;

1, The off side king pin barings needed changing.

2, The off side front half shaft/cv joint was unbalanced (I think barings in the cv joint).

3, The track rod had slightly bent on impact with the hole which had put it into contact with a tin plate flange cover at the rear of the front diff, this had then loosened and was rotating with the drive shaft and on occasions rubbing up against the track rod. This wasn’t apparent when on axle stands and was more pronounced on the road test and when braking.

4, One of the vacuum hubs was working intermittently which when out of 4x4 still rotated one of the half shafts causing a noise and this in turn spun the drive shaft/tin plate flange cover which rubbed against the track rod.

So Ive changed the king pin barings, changed the half shaft (BB Autos 01246 261110 very helpful and next day delivery £60), and cut off the tinplate flange cover ( easer said than done).
At some point I will have to replace the tinplate flange cover. But I didn’t know if I took off the coupling that bolts to the shaft (with 4 bolts) and its attached to the diff by one nut (which would have to come off) would that then knacker the diff and end up with lots of pieces inside. Advice please.
And I will change the track rod at some point.

Hope this is of help to someone, it drove me to distraction.

bryn
Last edit: 27 Jun 2019 13:30 by bryn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds