BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Immobilised?

More
06 Jun 2019 20:14 - 06 Jun 2019 20:20 #209721 by Quasi
Immobilised? was created by Quasi
Evening folks, I think I've managed to immobilise Quasi just by changing the rear fog fog light fuse (?!) and could do with a little assistance before I go all Basil Fawlty

If I try to start him the I can hear the fuel pump buzz but nothing from the starter. Immobiliser light stay on solid on the dash board. This is happening with both keys, one with remote buttons one without.
I've gone through all the fuses relating to ignition, immobiliser and starter in both fuses boxes and all of them are ok, I also removed the fuse for the fog lights just in case.
Battery is 12.6 volts, dropping to 12.1 when I turn the key, so I assume it's good. I've removed the batter cables and cleaned the terminals with emery.
OBD2 scanner shows one fault code present - P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction. Is this likely to be the problem, or a symptom of the engine not turning over when the ECU expects it to?

Can any one else suggest any checks I can do, or is it possible for me to have disturbed anything when swapping the fuse?

Quasi is a 15 plate if there is any difference

Mark
Last edit: 06 Jun 2019 20:20 by Quasi. Reason: Added age of Jimny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jun 2019 04:27 #209724 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Immobilised?

Quasi wrote: Evening folks, I think I've managed to immobilise Quasi just by changing the rear fog fog light fuse (?!) and could do with a little assistance before I go all Basil Fawlty

If I try to start him the I can hear the fuel pump buzz but nothing from the starter. Immobiliser light stay on solid on the dash board. This is happening with both keys, one with remote buttons one without.
I've gone through all the fuses relating to ignition, immobiliser and starter in both fuses boxes and all of them are ok, I also removed the fuse for the fog lights just in case.
Battery is 12.6 volts, dropping to 12.1 when I turn the key, so I assume it's good. I've removed the batter cables and cleaned the terminals with emery.
OBD2 scanner shows one fault code present - P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction. Is this likely to be the problem, or a symptom of the engine not turning over when the ECU expects it to?

Can any one else suggest any checks I can do, or is it possible for me to have disturbed anything when swapping the fuse?

Quasi is a 15 plate if there is any difference

Mark

How long did you take the battery off for? Usually if it's something silly like this it will reset if left disconnected for half an hour.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quasi

More
07 Jun 2019 05:38 #209725 by Quasi
Replied by Quasi on topic Immobilised?
I think it may actually be the starter motor. Just tried starting Quasi again, first turn of the key nothing, tried again but held the key on for 5 seconds and the starter decided to turn over and he fired into life.
Looks like I need to crawl under him tonight and check the starter terminals.

Mark

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Jun 2019 06:12 #209726 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Immobilised?
Starter motor solenoid wire. The little wire to the smaller cylinder on the starter. Take the little wire off, clean up the contact and refit. Seems to be a common problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jun 2019 06:17 #209727 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Immobilised?
I've had that with one of the Massey tractors, nothing obvious about the wires but flowing some solder into the ends fixed it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Jun 2019 17:35 #209777 by Quasi
Replied by Quasi on topic Immobilised?
As Riccy said, starter solenoid connection. All I can say is I hope whoever put the starter motor there got savaged by his Assistance Dog.
If I ever need to swap the starter I might just fit a 1.6 engine with a new starter

Hmmmm

More
09 Jun 2019 20:16 #209780 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Immobilised?

Quasi wrote: As Riccy said, starter solenoid connection. All I can say is I hope whoever put the starter motor there got savaged by his Assistance Dog.
If I ever need to swap the starter I might just fit a 1.6 engine with a new starter

Hmmmm

The 1.6 starter is in exactly the same place....doddle to get to the wires anyhow....and to remove the starter also.

You don't have arms like a T rex do you? ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
09 Jun 2019 20:18 #209781 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Immobilised?
:laugh: yes it really is in a silly place, unless you think of that engine in a front wheel drive car, where it would be a lot easier to get at.

Last time I swapped one it wasnt too bad with the front prop removed, but I do have really long arms. Turned out to be unnecesary as well, as it was the solenoid wire that time again :angry:

Methinks that its prone to getting mud/water/spray, etc where it is so leads to a poor connection over time. Glad you got it sorted :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
11 Jun 2019 18:45 #209860 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Immobilised?

Quasi wrote: OBD2 scanner shows one fault code present - P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction. Is this likely to be the problem, or a symptom of the engine not turning over when the ECU expects it to?
Mark

The ECU flags a fault if no crank sensor signal is received when the starter is engaged for a period of time so you can ignore that code - it will go away once the starter is fixed.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds