BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Power steering fluid change

More
05 Apr 2019 14:08 #205567 by BGBrit
Hello all, I've just bought two litres of Bardahl ATF 6 synthetic oil to replace the fluid in my 2009 Jimny does anyone know if that's enough or do I need another litre or two, I can't find anywhere that states the quantities. Also am I using the right oil for this job. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2019 08:29 #205596 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Power steering fluid change
Hi,
Had a good look in my owners manual and the technical data I have but none gives a quantity for the power steering fluid. Suzuki recommend Dexron 3 PSF which does not exist, Dexron 3 is a ATF fluid so I suppose this is a Suzuki typo, and most fluids of this type can be used in both ATF and PSF applications anyway.

And now the googled bit:

ATF Dexron III is a synthetic based automatic transmission fluid
Primarily designed for use in automatic transmissions in severe operating conditions such as those
fitted on busses, commercial vehicles and off highway equipment along with high performance
passenger cars. The fluid may also be used in the majority of power steering systems.
Performance Specifications
General Motors Dexron III Allison C4 (Automatic Transmission) Allison TES-389
Mercedes Benz MB 236.1 Mercedes Benz MB 236.9 Volvo 97341
MAN 339-V2 /339-Z2 Voith DIWA H55.6336.3X (former G1363) (120000km drain)
ZF TE-ML 04D (Marine Transmissions)
ZF TE-ML 14B (60 000km drain)
ZF TE-ML 16L (rail vehicle transmissions)

It's nothing special so it would appear any synthetic ATF fluid will do the job, but if you want similar try to match the specs above.

Don't known if this helps, hope so.

Good luck

Mike

PS do you have working Aircon on your 2009? If so I could do with you taking a look at something under the bonnet when it's running. Mine is also a 2009 and I am not sure if the Aircon compressor should be engaged all the time or pulse off on. If you can help I can explain better, if you can't no problem.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit

More
06 Apr 2019 08:51 #205597 by BGBrit
Replied by BGBrit on topic Power steering fluid change
Thank you for that info mate!! Yes my 2009 has air-con fitted. I will check if it stops and starts or is continuous running. I've not noticed or looked into that before. I'm incapacitated at the moment lying flat out with a puled back muscle. Hopefully by Monday I'll be up and about, so I'll get back to you on the air-con.
Once again thanks for the info..

Tony

More
06 Apr 2019 10:30 #205601 by Scimike
Thanks Tony,
Appreciate you taking a look, but no rush, get yourself better first.

If you will I need you to look at the aircon compressor pulley with the engine running. Normally (Aircon off) the pulley outer will rotate but the inner will not, it's an electric clutch. When you turn the Aircon on the pulley inner is electrically engaged to the outer so it all rotates, easy to see.

So my question is with your Aircon on ( run it for a minute or two ) does the pulley remain engaged continually or does it click in / out at any point during this time?

Trying to regas mine but find I can get it to run continually or click in /out depending upon the gas charge I put in it. Trouble is I can't get a proper pressure indication and so just want to know which way to bias the charge by comparison to a working system.

Thanks

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
06 Apr 2019 10:47 #205602 by BGBrit
Okay Mike... Got all that I understand what you need..and I'll see if I can do that tomorrow for you (Sunday) if not certainly by Monday.
Tony.

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2019 19:44 #205623 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Power steering fluid change
It should click in and out

More
07 Apr 2019 05:22 #205628 by BGBrit
Good morning Mike beautiful morning here in Bulgaria we are two hours ahead you in Britain. Been out and ran the Jimny and Cremator! is right mine clicks in and out. And as you said the outer ring runs of course and then the inner runs with the Air-con switched on. Let me know if I can be of any further help with this or any other stuff you'd like to verify. Seems like we have the same model etc.
Regards Tony

Vehicle Details
Model: Jimny 1.3 JLX+ vvt Man Trans.
VIN: JSAFJB43V00341036
Engine No. M13A-1961028
Engine type MRK 5EKF02
Date of Reg: 20-04-2009
Colour: Graphite Gray Pearl Metallic
Colour Code: ZDL CO 7
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2019 08:08 #205632 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Power steering fluid change
We fancy visiting Bulgaria

More
07 Apr 2019 09:28 - 07 Apr 2019 09:31 #205637 by Scimike
Thank you both, very helpful.
I will add more gas until mine starts to click in /out.
Same Tony, if you ever need me to check anything just ask as we have the same model.

Last edit: 07 Apr 2019 09:31 by Scimike.

More
07 Apr 2019 11:33 #205641 by BGBrit
Will do. Glad to help out...

More
09 Apr 2019 09:14 #205752 by BGBrit
Chickened out of doing a full power steering flush, seems there could be problems getting air in the system so I've elected to syringe out half litre of fluid at a time and top up with fresh. Will do this several times over, at least the old fluid will be up graded to some degree.
Cheers.

More
13 Apr 2019 14:03 #205998 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Power steering fluid change
The only risk-free way to to a near-complete power steering fluid change in a Jimny (and in most other vehicle models for that matter) is to suck out a part of the fluid from its reservoir tank using a syringe (while the engine is OFF), replenish the missing part with new fluid and then drive the vehicle a bit.
Then repeat this same procedure several times until the color of the fluid in its reservoir tank becomes almost the same as the color of the brand new fluid.

This method wastes excessive amounts of new power steering fluid, but the advantages is that it is dead simple to do (only a syringe and a parking lot required) and there is no risk of introducing air in the system.

When using this method, the capacity of the power steering system is irrelevant. You will need (I think) about three liters of new fluid to achieve near-perfect flush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BGBrit

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds