BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Another death wobble diagnosis help!

More
02 Apr 2019 19:51 #205429 by Wailin
Hi all. So I picked up my first Jimny last week (pics in the My Jimny thread) and it had the dreaded death wobble. Prevalent at 45mph to about 55mph. I had the wheels balanced and it did reduce the severity of it big time. The guy said they were quiet bad as can be seen from the amount of lead on them! It's still there so I jacked it up today to have a look. I did the usual tests for movement in the wheels and both were solid in the 12 and 6 and also 9 and 3 positions. No sign of seepage from the swivel joints indicating kingpin bearing issue. Everything seemed in order but I have attached a few pics in case the more experienced of you spot anything.

Drivers side from front:

Passenger side:

Passenger side from rear:

Closer look at driver side swivel joint:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2019 20:13 #205431 by mlines
Tyre pressures?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Apr 2019 21:54 #205435 by jackonlyjack
I just changed my kingpin bearings has i was getting a wobble intermittently and a knock noise
Mine had no sign of oil seepage but the bearings were shot
So go with tyre pressures then look at track rod ends then kingpin bearings would be my advice ;)

Jack

More
03 Apr 2019 00:17 #205441 by Wailin
Cheers guys. Im not sure what the recommended tyre pressures are for 235/75 R15 (BF Goodrich A/T). When I checked them they were 28psi and I increased them to 32psi as I thought they looked a little low. What's the recommended pressure for them?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Apr 2019 04:34 #205443 by Lambert
Have you had a pry bar on the panhard bar bushes? Also 28 psi is too much on bfg at's. They have an extremely sturdy side wall because they are for much heavier trucks. On the side of the tyre is will give you a load in kg at a given pressure that the tyre can support. Using mathematics if you know your actual axle weight you can use the maximum figures on the tyre to work out the actual pressure for your car. Or alternatively start with the factory 23 front 26 rear and go down from there but not much below 20 for general road driving.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Apr 2019 05:37 #205448 by mlines
32 psi!

You need to lose 10 psi at a minimum!

The plate inside the door will show 23 front, 26 rear and as Lambert says, you need to go down from there NOT up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Apr 2019 13:31 #205473 by Wailin
I reduced the pressure down to 23 and 26. Made no difference to wobble but did affect road handling. It feels less steady and more bouncy at 50-60mph.

I'll have a look at the panhard bushes and check the tracking rod ends again.

More
03 Apr 2019 20:09 #205500 by Wailin
Guys should there be play in the track rod end in the forward/back direction? There is no lateral play but I was able to wiggle it back and forth as seen in the pics:

More
03 Apr 2019 22:00 #205505 by jackonlyjack
No buy new ones :)
Change all 4 if it's within your budget
And any you take off feel good keep them as spares ;)
I hate to state the obvious 2 left hand thread 2 right hand

Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wailin

More
03 Apr 2019 23:02 - 03 Apr 2019 23:12 #205507 by Scimike
Not wanting to disagree, changing your ball joints may well improve your wobble, it's a complex mix of things.
But ball joints can move as shown in the photos, it's a ball in a socket that allows it to rotate as shown. It should be stiff to move (not sloppy) and have no lateral or vertical movement in relation to the pivot arm to which it is connected, but it can rotate as the pictures show. What the picture can not show is any play in the movement, it's a feel thing.
Change them if you can't find anything else with movement (check you kingpin bearings) or if you are not sure what a good ball joint should feel like.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Apr 2019 23:12 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Wailin

More
04 Apr 2019 08:08 - 04 Apr 2019 08:10 #205516 by Scimike
Also to repeat what Jack has already said...
My Jimny had slight wobble between 45 _50 but I am on standard size tyres, so I masked the issue with a steering damper. No detectable play in the wheels at all (passed MOT) and no signs of any leaks at the swivels. Fast forward 6 months and I can now feel play in the passenger side kingpin bearing, so they are shot, BUT still no signs of a leak on the swivel. So they don't all leak even when shot.
The correct preload on these bearings is instrumental in controlling wobble, so worn (but not loose) bearings can be a factor, especially with bigger tyres (larger mass).

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Apr 2019 08:10 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wailin

More
04 Apr 2019 09:24 - 04 Apr 2019 09:26 #205523 by Wailin
Thanks for helpful advice folks. I am aware that no seepage doesn't mean kingpin bearings are not shot. But when i jacked it up there was no play in the wheels at all, in any direction.

I have new brake discs and pads ordered from jimnybits as i think they are warped. When rotating the wheels freely i kept getting resistance in certain parts of the rotation and i could hear the pads rubbing off the discs. Could be part of the issue too?
Last edit: 04 Apr 2019 09:26 by Wailin. Reason: Grammer

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds