BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Loud grinding noise from front drivers side wheel area?

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2019 18:47 #205255 by MilkyRon
Hello all,

As the title suggests I'm getting an intermittent (happened twice in an hour long drive) and very loud grinding noise from the front drivers side wheel area. The best way I could describe it is like the sound you used to get when you put a Coke can on the back wheel of your bike as a kid, or adult with nothing better to do.

It seems to be occurring under braking or direction change but as it's only happened to me a grand total of 3 times, I wouldn't take that as gospel. The noise will disappear under braking, once I've either slowed down to a crawl or come to a complete stop.

I've checked for any evidence of bodywork coming into contact with the wheel but no sign of that happening. I'm thinking either a brake issue or possible a kingpin bearing issue (the dealer did change these out before I bought the car)

Anyway, I'll be taking the wheel off tomorrow for a poke around so any advice on where to concentrate my efforts would be much appreciated

Ta, MilkyRon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keirravn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2019 19:08 #205257 by Keirravn
Check the wheel bearing for sure.

Other than that check both pads are whole. Check that the backing plate isn't touching the disc. Make sure there's no debris caught anywhere around the disc.

I can't think how kingpins would cause this sort of noise but could be wrong. Wheel bearing would be my prime suspect followed by something touch around the disc that shouldn't be

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Mar 2019 20:25 #205266 by Lambert
Do you have full steering in both directions without obstruction?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2019 20:40 #205269 by MilkyRon
Yeah, no issues with obstruction. I've had the wheels at full lock in both directions to check clearance when I had the 195/80/15 tyres fitted.

More
29 Mar 2019 21:12 - 29 Mar 2019 21:13 #205272 by Max Headroom
My SAAB once had discs that were rusty and exfoliating at the edges - they made an intermittent grinding noise against the backplates - I used a piece of wood as a drift and a hammered the backplates away from the flakey discs

I've also had pieces of grit get stuck between the backplate and the disc that also caused an intermittent grinding noise that was only apparent when turning

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 29 Mar 2019 21:13 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Mar 2019 05:37 #205279 by Lambert
Probably not what I was thinking of then. Could be wheel bearing related if the hub is able to move enough to contact something it shouldn't when it's under load?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2019 14:12 #205298 by MilkyRon
So, had a poke around this morning. It does look like the disk backplates may have been the issue. Lots of rust and debris behind them and probably only a 3mm clearance. Bent both sides back a little and gave them a clean with a wire brush. The problem seems to have disappeared but I'll hold my breath until I've covered a few more miles.

Thanks chums for all the replies, It really helped me narrow down the issue!

Ta, MilkyRon

More
30 Mar 2019 14:43 #205299 by Max Headroom
An elderly neighbour of mine got into a bit of a twist about a horrendous noise from her car - turned out it was a piece of grit too. Its more common than you'd think - particularly as they waste taxpayers money gritting roads these days

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2019 17:13 #205303 by MilkyRon
Well that didn't fix it. Now that it's happened a few times, the panic has worn off enough for me to do some investigative work. I'm certain that it's something to do with the front drivers side wheel, because:

1.While the noise was present, I slipped the car into neutral and biped the throttle a few times, no change in the tone or volume.

2.When passed by a car on the drivers side the volume greatly increases, which makes me think that it's coming from that wheel arch area due to the amount of sound being 'reflected' back

It's really difficult for me to pinpoint it due to the fact that it's so intermittent. Next course of action, take the disk brake assembly off and have a proper clean. If that fails, it's off to the garage to have it looked at by a grown-up.

Bit gutted as had a trip to Delamere Forest planned for tomorrow. Looks like we'll be taking the wife's car instead ಠ_ಠ

More
30 Mar 2019 20:27 #205316 by mlines
Rear wheel bearing.

I KNOW you said it sounds like it's coming from the front.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Keirravn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2019 20:54 #205318 by Keirravn
Did you check for play in the wheel? Did you rotate it by hand whilst it was off the ground?

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2019 11:12 #205950 by MilkyRon
So, It's been a few weeks now and I've still not got to the bottom of the issue. I did take the front brake assembly apart and all seemed fine, cleaned it up and put it all back together but the problem remained.

I've checked all 4 wheels for play and the bearings seem fine.

One thing I failed to mention is that pretty much as soon as I picked the Jim up, I changed the tyres out for a set of 195/80/15 AT tyres. I've checked to see if these are fowling anywhere but can't see any evidence. Trawling through the forum it doesn't look like anyone has had any issues with 195/80/15s and body contact before so I initially ruled this out. To my ear the noise doesn't sound like rubber contacting with plastic but I could be wrong.

I decided to install my cheapo dashcam this week so I could get some video evidence. It's not the best quality so apologies for that.

As you can see from the video, the noise goes once I come to an almost complete stop, there is also a bit of a 'clunk' as if something re-seats/releases. Anyone have any ideas?

Ta, MilkyRon

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds