BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Spare wheel mount - Any protection required for paintwork?

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2019 19:07 #204965 by MilkyRon
Not sure if this is really a 'Technical' question but...

I've removed the spare wheel mount on my Jimny to give it a coat of paint (some bright spark just painted the central part silver, directly onto rust.) In doing so, I noticed there is no spacer/gasket/washer between the mount and the rear door of the Jimny. The idea of metal on metal upsets me. I'm considering some rubber washers fashioned form some old inner tube. Anyone else bothered with something similar or am I just being too precious about my 'new' purchase?

Ta MilkyRon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2019 20:03 #204972 by MilkyRon
Nylon washers, hadn't thought of that. Can pick some up tomorrow when the paint has dried.

Out of interest... What's the issue with using rubber?

More
23 Mar 2019 20:07 #204973 by Soeley
Either that or some thick gasket paper from the auto shop?

More
23 Mar 2019 20:16 #204975 by jackonlyjack

MilkyRon wrote: Not sure if this is really a 'Technical' question but...

I've removed the spare wheel mount on my Jimny to give it a coat of paint (some bright spark just painted the central part silver, directly onto rust.) In doing so, I noticed there is no spacer/gasket/washer between the mount and the rear door of the Jimny. The idea of metal on metal upsets me. I'm considering some rubber washers fashioned form some old inner tube. Anyone else bothered with something similar or am I just being too precious about my 'new' purchase?

Ta MilkyRon

3mm rubber sheet ;)

Jack
Attachments:

• MilkyRon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2019 21:18 #204978 by MilkyRon
Nice one. Didn't consider that

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds