BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:OBD port vs Bluetooth style reader

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 23:08 - 07 Mar 2019 23:19 #204287 by Keirravn
OBD port vs Bluetooth style reader was created by Keirravn
Hey all. I have a 2000 Jimny. My EML is on and I've tried reading it with my trusty obd2 Bluetooth adapter but it isn't getting any power.

Is that to be expected? It's worked on every car I've ever tried it on but the Jimny is the oldest. So is it not an OBD2 or is there a fault? Rodents have been in about the wiring elsewhere in the car so broken wires are possible though I can't see any around the back of the port.

Help appreciated :)
Last edit: 07 Mar 2019 23:19 by Keirravn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Mar 2019 06:10 #204291 by Lambert
I'm not 100pc certain but I think that the earlier ones upto about 2002 were obd not obd2. I could be wrong.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keirravn

More
08 Mar 2019 06:28 #204294 by yakuza
Depends a bit on what spec your car has, bit different for different markets. But it is most likely early OBD from what i could find on google. dunno what type of attachement people in here uses for this, but i have read about them getting codes off it.
You can look at the OBD connector and see if there are four attachements or three I read somewhere.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
08 Mar 2019 09:16 - 08 Mar 2019 12:09 #204297 by mlines
Rhinopower (Rhinoman on this forum) was making readers for older Jimnys but think that his day job has taken all his time so they are not being made at present

www.rhinopower.org/

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 12:09 by mlines.

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2019 12:08 #204305 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:OBD port vs Bluetooth style reader

yakuza wrote: Depends a bit on what spec your car has, bit different for different markets. But it is most likely early OBD from what i could find on google. dunno what type of attachement people in here uses for this, but i have read about them getting codes off it.
You can look at the OBD connector and see if there are four attachements or three I read somewhere.

More than 4 is all I can tell. But my adapter does only do OBD2 onwards so ...

• Keirravn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2019 12:09 #204306 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:OBD port vs Bluetooth style reader

mlines wrote: Rhinopower (Rhinoman on this forum) was making readers but think that his day job has taken all his time so they are not being made at present

www.rhinopower.org/

Found his site already lots of good info! But jumping the cables did nothing for me :(

More
08 Mar 2019 19:01 #204315 by kirkynut
If you have a twin cam engine you have obd 2. If single cam it's obd1.

A 2000 plate hard top is likely to be a twin cam, a soft top will be single cam.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds