BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Emissions warning light

• Don76
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 20:12 #204269 by Don76
Emissions warning light was created by Don76
Oh, I may have bought a turkey here. :(

King pins, sorted.
ABS issue, sorted

Now we have a wee yellow light on the dash board. Apparently to do with emissions control.

It drives fine with no loss of power or anything. My jimny is a late 2005 early 2006 model.

I have no idea where to start with this one as I am way out of my knowledge area.

Could I ask you all again (sorry) to suggest a few ideas as to where to start in regards sorting this one out.

Thanks again ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2019 21:11 #204276 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Emissions warning light
You need to get the code read. A code reader from eBay is cheaper than a garage would charge to read it. It will almost certainly tell to that a O2 sensor has failed

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don76

More
07 Mar 2019 22:41 - 07 Mar 2019 22:45 #204284 by Max Headroom
Sounds like thats what I had.
I kept resetting the light (I dont have a code reader... yet) by disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery for a few mins and while it was disco'd turn the ignition to on press the horn etc to diperse any electrical memory in the system. This worked well with two resets in six months but the other week when I reset it, the darned light came back on within moments of moving off.
I gave in and cx'd the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold and the light hasn't been on since.
All the info you should need about my experience changing the sensor found HERE

(My second post on that page.)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 07 Mar 2019 22:45 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don76

• Don76
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 23:54 #204288 by Don76
Replied by Don76 on topic Re:Emissions warning light
Thank you both for your responses.

I have done the battery method Max suggested, the fault has cleared and I have had a quick run out with no issues. One of the sensors is obviously on the way out though.

With regard a code reader on eBay, can anyone suggest one they have had success with? I found a few, is it just an OBD2 reader I am after.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Mar 2019 06:07 #204290 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Emissions warning light
Yes any of them will be able to get you the code. I have a draper expert one that cost me 25 quid and now I also have an autool x50 plus permanently wired in front of the instrument panel as it has a display facility as well as code reading and reset. That was about 26 quid off Amazon.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Mar 2019 06:19 #204292 by Max Headroom
Don, let us know what you do, and how you got on doing it B)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Don76
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2019 08:32 #204296 by Don76
Replied by Don76 on topic Re:Emissions warning light

Lambert wrote: Yes any of them will be able to get you the code. I have a draper expert one that cost me 25 quid and now I also have an autool x50 plus permanently wired in front of the instrument panel as it has a display facility as well as code reading and reset. That was about 26 quid off Amazon.

Thanks Lambert I have just taken a look at the Autool on Amazon. The x60 is the latest model and looks just the job. I will get one installed ready for next time the fault comes on.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Mar 2019 09:18 #204298 by Lambert
Yeah i didn't really like the round design of the 60 and the 50 plus is entirely functional and saved me from boiling my motor within the first month of use!

More
08 Mar 2019 10:30 - 08 Mar 2019 10:54 #204302 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:Emissions warning light
I got a bluetooth device from ebay for my 2005 car.
I did something stupid to it as I removed it with the engine running. Must be ignition off when you attach/detach it!
Now after some smoke was released from within the dashboard, the car will not run properly with out the device.
But it works OK with it on. I have changed one of my O2 sensors after the engine swap, found one used from a Baleno that had the correct plug.
As I had the first cat removed, and is using an aftermarket cat replacement for the second one, I get a fault code when it is cold or suddenly gets cold. has happened two times while driving into water or sleet that a fault code appears says insufficient exhaust something. just resetting it and it is ok.
could be that my aftermarket cat is too big so it has a bit low working temperature.

Cat no. one in the manifold is often cracked inside and the debris from it close the cells in the second one. I got what feels like 20hp when i changed my cat to a new one. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 10:54 by yakuza.

More
08 Mar 2019 19:06 #204316 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Emissions warning light
Tescos petrol used to put my eml on all the time, along with that on the Mrs old BMW 325i.

I stopped using it and hey presto, no more eml.

I got a code for a Lambda sensor out. I've never changed one and have had no issues for years on either car.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Mar 2019 19:40 - 08 Mar 2019 19:48 #204320 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Re:Emissions warning light
There is nothing wrong with Tesco's petrol as it originates from a refinery just like the rest of the petrol you find. What can differ is the additive packs for cleaner combustion, octane etc, this is added per customer when the tanker is filled, but the source fuel is all the same. Currently I believe Tesco sell BP plus blend or BS standard fuel with out additives.
But Kirknut has a good point in that your fuel my be a possible cause if the vehicle has been standing for a long time. If you have not drained the tank any fuel will have " gone off ", so fresh fuel and a good run may clear the eml. Try a brand fuel or one that promotes a clean engine for the first run.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 19:48 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Mar 2019 20:31 #204324 by Lambert
For the longest time I used asda petrol as it was cheap but over year 5 heading towards 6 Ermintrude started running like bag of spanners so I switched to shell for one particular long trip and within half a tank it was literally like finding another 30 hrsprs that had been hiding in the boot! Since then though my local shell has started to become excessively expensive so I'm now using bp and that is even better!

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds