BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

No reverse lights or tail lights!

• RiverRatJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2019 11:33 #204090 by RiverRatJimny
No reverse lights or tail lights! was created by RiverRatJimny
I've got no rear tail lights, rear number plate light or reverse light! Night time driving has become compromised!
The rear fog and brake lights and hazards/indicators are fine.
Bulbs fine.
Fuse fine.
Any ideas? I have had a look for broken wires but can't see any- how many positive feeds are there to the back? Could it be the reverse switch? But if it was why would the other rear lights go out too??
:S :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2019 12:19 - 04 Mar 2019 12:38 #204091 by Max Headroom
Damn! How annoying.

Check earth points - though indicators running off the same light-cluster it might not be that - but still check nevertheless.
Checked the connections onto the switch itself?

If the wiring has not been routed carefully, it might have chafed against some structure and earthed itself; you will need to carefully inspect the cable itself along its entire route or do a 'continuity check' using a multimeter of some sort. Good explanation of a Continuity test HERE .
Using this method might help you to pinpoint the section of wiring where the fault is, but do all the easy stuff first.

EDIT: If there are plugs/sockets get them apart and look for corrosion and clean off any that look cruddy using a small piece of fine-grade emery paper, then. use a product such as Electrolube or battery-terminal grease on the contacts VERY lightly before reconnecting

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 12:38 by Max Headroom.

• RiverRatJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2019 12:35 #204092 by RiverRatJimny
Replied by RiverRatJimny on topic No reverse lights or tail lights!
Thanks for the reply. Will check the main light switch and reverse switch connections.

More
04 Mar 2019 12:39 #204093 by Max Headroom
Good luck!

When did you notice they weren't working? Hopefully it wasn't Mr. Plod that told you!

• RiverRatJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2019 13:55 #204097 by RiverRatJimny
Ha! Thankfully not- it was pretty obvious, we live where there is no street lighting and we have to reverse out of the drive!

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2019 14:01 #204099 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic No reverse lights or tail lights!
Check the loom connection left hand rear side where it runs through the bumper to the lights. Gets all the dirt from the tyre.

• RiverRatJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2019 10:31 #204179 by RiverRatJimny
Yes- I've had that connector apart a few times and cleaned it- now definitely suspecting it as the root cause as the reverse lights miraculously sprang back to life last night! I might just replace it as it is full of mud- i guess any 6 pin loom connector block will work? So long as it can carry 5A+?

More
06 Mar 2019 19:48 - 06 Mar 2019 19:48 #204205 by Max Headroom
Sounds like you might have pinned down the problem. Mud will be full of salt and minerals and = corrosion. So I would say your decision to replace it might be a very good one!
I cant comment on which block to use but wonder if there a waterproof one available to stop this happening again?

Last edit: 06 Mar 2019 19:48 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds