BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Warning buzzer(s) for lights and door no longer work

• chrisnd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2019 16:26 #203552 by chrisnd
Hi, I have a 2007 Jimny JLX which, when I first bought it a few years ago, had an irritating bleeping noise if I left the key in the ignition and opened the drivers door. If I left the headlights on and went to get out of the car I got a similar (useful!) warning bleep. After a few months both bleeps gradually stopped and I thought no more of it until recently when I accidentally left the headlights on and flattened the battery (Doh).

Therefore, I would like to reinstate the 'lights on bleep'. I have seen elsewhere in this forum where I can disable the 'doors open' one. So, I have two questions, 1. Is the buzzer (one or two?) behind the instrument panel, and 2. How do I get access to it/them?

TIA

Chris D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Feb 2019 17:50 #203558 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. On my 2011 the buzzer is behind the trim panel under the steering column on the right side. The door one is a white connection with green wires in the same general area. Yours should be similar but different ages may vary.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• chrisnd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Feb 2019 09:26 #203580 by chrisnd
Thanks, I will look in that area for the buzzer as I suspect it may have failed rather than anything else. Knowing it may not be behind the main panel is a significant step forward :-)

Chris

More
21 Feb 2019 16:16 #203589 by yakuza
On my 2005 jimny the buzzer is on the instrument cluster inside on the printboard, a little black round thing. I tipped off the black cap and put a piece of tape inside to shut it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
22 Feb 2019 03:31 #203636 by Max Headroom
Welcome to the forums Chris.

Its a pity the likes of Maplins have gone - but you could always fit an aftermarket warning device - they're easily found on FleaBay and probably Amazon too

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrisnd

• chrisnd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2019 16:54 #203692 by chrisnd
Ok, thanks, I will check there if I can't find it as described above
C

• chrisnd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2019 17:15 #203762 by chrisnd
Yup, found the little black round piezo thing. It *is* working but quieter than slumbering mouse - but I was at least able to verify correct working of both 'ignition key in and door open' 'bleep bleep' warning and 'lights on' 'bleeeee...eep' warnings. The only difficulty in replacing it seems to be inaccessibility of soldered side of board due to inbuilt meters - so I will probably trash it and connect the new beast to the remaining leg stumps.
(I spent most of my life as an electronic engineer so am used to dealing with such obstacles/features!).

Thanks all.

• chrisnd
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2019 12:39 #204803 by chrisnd
Ok, I finally did this job this morning. I soldered a new piezo sounder onto the remains of the old one and both the lights warning and the door open warnings worked. I then undid the connection with the green wires below the steering column as described elsewhere and so disabled the door bleeper leaving only the lights warning one operational. Just what I wanted so thanks for the pointers. I have added a coupe of photos here to show the two fixes. HTH someone else, Chris
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds