BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny steering issue (not death wobble etc)

• Wilshaw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 17:22 #203463 by Wilshaw
Hi all, my names Tom... I’m new to this forum so apologies if my etiquette is lacking at all.
So I’ve owned my Jimny (52plate) for a while now, I’ve been using it as my daily driver and a weekend play toy for the local lanes here in wales!
Touch wood it’s been a great little truck and has so far has eaten everything that’s been thrown at it with no issues or breakages etc...
Unfortunately the other night during a green lane run it seems to have developed an issue with the steering, at first due to being in a pretty much straight lane I didn’t notice anything other than the odd mysterious clunk while adjusting steering and the occasional rattle sound, it wasn’t until I got back onto tarmac that I realised the turning pitch is restricted severely on one side... I can turn the wheel (from center) almost 2 full turns to the left until full lock.... but when I turn to the right I’m getting literally 2/3 of a turn if that and the steering locks as if it’s reached it’s maximum point and I mean it’s solid! Had a look underneath and can’t see any obvious obstructions... the panhard rods appear to be solid and in tact, I can’t see anything obvious that’s broken/cracked/dislodged etc so I’m a little bit stumped! Unfortunately as much as I have common sense and the willingness to get involved, my mechanical knowledge is very basic/minimal so I thought perhaps one of you fine fellows could make a suggestion or even an educated guess? Many thanks in advance.
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Feb 2019 17:50 #203464 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a shattered cv joint, the bit that transmits power inside the swivel ball on the axle. Easy enough job even cor a novice with a few tools. There are how to guides in the wiki at the top of the forum it's basically the same job as doing king pin bearing sets. If you contact Martin the admin Mlines through the shop he will be able to get you the right replacement. It's also probably worth doing the king pin bearing sets and axle oil seals at the same time being as you're going to have it all in bits at the same time. Good luck!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wilshaw

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
19 Feb 2019 18:21 #203468 by Riccy
I will second Lambert on broken CV. You wont see it as its inside the swivel, but that would cause the issue, especially if everything else looks ok.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Wilshaw
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 18:42 #203471 by Wilshaw
Replied by Wilshaw on topic Jimny steering issue (not death wobble etc)
Thanks very much for the quick reply, I will most definitely get onto Martin and change the kingpin bearings and oil seals at the same time as the cv joint.. I’ve read many an article stating that the kingpin bearings are almost always perished so I was planning on doing them at some point anyway... I guess this was my kick up the backside to get them done hehe.
Again, many thanks for your help!

More
19 Feb 2019 23:06 #203501 by 1390_taz
Welcome to the forum from East Anglia.
Set aside a weekend to do the job. With the right tools and time the job can be done in a few hours

More
20 Feb 2019 08:23 #203511 by kirkynut
Welcome along.

I immediately thought CV exploded too. So we all agree. You can often source genuine second hand shafts with Cv's on. Due to the nature of the part time 4wd on Jimnys, they're all like new, regardless of age, unless off an off roader.

You could pop a Wanted add in the For Sale and Wanted section of this forum.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds