BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT

More
20 Feb 2019 08:58 #203516 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
Non VVT M13A pictured, the VVT engines have a "bulge" on the left of the front cam cover.

sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wuzie123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2019 09:04 - 20 Feb 2019 12:17 #203517 by Wuzie123
Replied by Wuzie123 on topic Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
Ah pity I thought it was VVTI lol so what do I do now lol
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 12:17 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum. Even in German.

More
20 Feb 2019 09:33 #203519 by sniper
Alter the gearing in the transfer box, a few companies supply gear kits and Redacted Engineering build custom boxes.

Not cheap stuff.....

sniper

• Wuzie123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2019 10:05 - 20 Feb 2019 10:06 #203521 by Wuzie123
Replied by Wuzie123 on topic Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
Hmmm ok I did read this... by @riccy

Also thinking of a 1.6 SX4 engine lol
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 10:06 by Wuzie123.

More
20 Feb 2019 14:04 #203530 by sniper
You need to read Riccy's post again Wuzie, it is exactly your situation......

A non VVT M13A jimny with a 3.9 diff (your car), will run a 31" tyre if you fit the VVT 4.3 diff, lowering the main gearing to suit the tyre.

This will increase ratio's throughout the box, making your low box higher geared, a negative when off roading.

That is why outfits like Trailgear manufacture gears that make ratio changes, they give you a high box that will handle bigger tyres but also an effective low range box. Sometimes a crawler type low range, lots of possibilities, depends how deep your pockets are.

Have a look at the wiki pages, they explain it well. Redacted boxes appear to be the choice for serious off roaders.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lerk

• Lerk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2019 14:22 #203532 by Lerk
Replied by Lerk on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
For example, I Will put VVT diffs (4.3) in my Jimny (M16A non vvt) and 215/75/15 tyres.

Enough?

Maybe in a future I put trail gear planetary (-60% low range reduction) but im scared with the transfer chain.....

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6003 mediante Tapatalk

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
20 Feb 2019 17:03 #203555 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT

Lerk wrote: For example, I Will put VVT diffs (4.3) in my Jimny (M16A non vvt) and 215/75/15 tyres.

Enough?

Maybe in a future I put trail gear planetary (-60% low range reduction) but im scared with the transfer chain.....

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6003 mediante Tapatalk

For that tyre size no correction is needed. The 215 tyres are not much larger than standard and the gearing copes nicely with that size. Were you to go to the next size up (235/75r15) you would find it sluggish and it will wear out the clutch much faster (especially if off-roading). Then you need to think about the gearing alterations.

you can look up and compare the actual tyre sizes here:

tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

and the gearing can be calculated properly with this handy website:

www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

All the standard gearing specs are listed in the wiki section of this fine site ;-)

Wuzie: as mentioned by Sniper, the low box performance wouldnt be good as you are only changing the final drive ratio by doing this. For example; My 07' VVT jimny has a 'rocklobster' transfer box in it (built by a bloke known as 'Rockwatt Engineering'). It has a 1.6 ratio in high box and 5.13 in low-box. Compared to the original with 1.00 in high and 2.00 in low you can see that it has a much greater reduction value for the low ratio gears. This works well with the huge 33" tyres and is the only real way to get it geared properly. Note I am also using the 3.9 diffs and earlier r7me gearbox from the non VVT jimnys to compensate for the rocklobster box (when i tried the rocklobster box in it with the 4.3 diffs and R72 gearbox it was a joke, top speed in high box 5th gear was about 30mph!).

Hopefully this points everyone towards trying to use the grimjeeper site to get the gearing sorted out properly.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Wuzie123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2020 21:02 - 26 Jan 2020 21:04 #217716 by Wuzie123
Replied by Wuzie123 on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
sorry to dig up an old thread but im just away to rebuild my diffs and this is still playing on my mind i have added a pic from the Wiki page and from what you guys are saying im confused.

To me if you lower the dif ratio then it works the same in high range or low range.... both will turn the wheel slower as the ratio in the diffs is lower yeah i know the full way to do it is to fit a rocklobster but i aint got my hands on one yet so not an option just now for me.....

Any info would be ace as away to do the VVTI into a 2003 non VVTI manual jimny so the same as the lower box in the pic?

My car is a 2003 Maunal non VVTI Jimny on 31's, and i have diffs from a later VVTI manual Jimny so should be 3.909-4.300 gear change

Regards
Doug
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2020 21:04 by Wuzie123.

More
26 Jan 2020 21:28 #217717 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
That's exactly what I'm doing with my buggy build... I've replaced the standard 3.9:1 diffs with later 4.3:1 ratio ones, which allows me to fit bigger 29" tyres, so the overall gearing should be close to stock... but as said earlier the low side of the box may still be a bit 'high' as the Jimny has never been much of a rock-crawler, but it should be fine for some greenlaning! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

More
26 Jan 2020 21:31 #217718 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
The back diff fitted fine...

The front needed the slots enlarging to fit the bigger crown wheel in though! -

The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds