BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT

• Lerk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 07:52 #203434 by Lerk
Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT was created by Lerk
Hey, good morning.

I bought front and rear diffs from VVT Jimny (43x10 - 4.3 ratio)

My Jimny is Non-VVT , manual gearbox (43x11 - 3.90 ratio).

And my question is...Any put VVT diffs in a Non-VVT Jimny?

I read that rear diff is a simple swap, right? The problem come with front diff, the diff housing is small in Non-VVT Jimny, right?

Is simple to clearancing the diff housing or i need to find a front diff housing from vvt ?

Thanks man for helping.
Lerk.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2019 11:10 #203446 by jackonlyjack
It will be obvious when you try to fit it
You will need to grind a little bit off the diff housing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lerk

• Lerk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 11:36 #203450 by Lerk
Replied by Lerk on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT

jackonlyjack wrote: It will be obvious when you try to fit it
You will need to grind a little bit off the diff housing

A little bit? Hahaha. Easy?

And no problem with axles?

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A6003 mediante Tapatalk

More
19 Feb 2019 15:10 #203456 by jackonlyjack
Yes if you're not confident with grinder you could use a file (this would take time)
when you try to push the diff in to axle case you will see where the diff catches the axle case just grind the axle case to allow it to slide in
only a few mm to remove

• Lerk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 16:10 #203458 by Lerk

jackonlyjack wrote: Yes if you're not confident with grinder you could use a file (this would take time)
when you try to push the diff in to axle case you will see where the diff catches the axle case just grind the axle case to allow it to slide in
only a few mm to remove

Perfect, it has already been understood.

Only need to grinder the "front" axle case, right? Rear is plug and play, correct?

Thanks for ur time.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
19 Feb 2019 18:14 #203467 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
Dave did exactly that swap in this thread...

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-buil...daily-driver?start=0

I have swapped vvt to non-vvt diffs (the other way to you) and had to grind at the front axle casing a wee bit, thus I would assume that going the way you are shouldn't need any extra clearance?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lerk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 19:56 #203475 by Lerk

Riccy wrote: Dave did exactly that swap in this thread...

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/18-buil...daily-driver?start=0

I have swapped vvt to non-vvt diffs (the other way to you) and had to grind at the front axle casing a wee bit, thus I would assume that going the way you are shouldn't need any extra clearance?

Yes, if u need to grind at the front axle casing a wee bit (the other way, from VVT to Non VVT), I dont undestand that i need to a extra clearance hahaha.

At final, when I dismount front diff I will see.

More
19 Feb 2019 20:54 - 19 Feb 2019 20:57 #203483 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
I've actually done the opposite with the Gold Daily Driver Riccy... it's a VVT model and as I'm running 235/75/15s on it (with a 2" + 2" lift on it) I've swapped the VVT diffs AND transfer box for earlier ones to correct the gearing for the tyres. No grinding was needed for the fitment.

The one in the garage is going the other way, that's an old Jimny having VVT diffs (keeping the original transfer box) to alter the gearing for 30" tyres. Unfortunately I've only done the rear diff so far so can't comment on how the front one will fit...

BUT...

When I fitted the Vitara LSD in the front diff of theS200KYS Jimny (machined to suit by Redacted ) I then had to take the angle grinder to the front axle casing as described above...

Having a search back through the Bits4Vits archive... here's a photo showing how much had to be removed -

Note there is a similar notch in the bottom of the axle casing but it's slightly obscured by the "B" in the photo's watermark.

Hope that helps Lark? ;)

Dave
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 20:57 by X8GGY.

• Lerk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 21:17 - 19 Feb 2019 21:18 #203489 by Lerk
Yes! Perfect! Thanks for the help!

A man who has made the swap (non vvt to vvt) has sent me the next photos, similar that ur photos S200KYS.

When I put the both diffs, I will do a DIY.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 21:18 by Lerk.

• Wuzie123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 23:00 #203500 by Wuzie123
Replied by Wuzie123 on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
Hey guys sorry to jump in but im a little lost... i have a VVT and am going to be running 31's so am i right that NON VVT diffs will bring my gearing back towards normal? i know that it wont be the same as before but every little helps lol

I can get ahold of NON VVT axles for cheap if thats easier? looking at getting a set of axles to weld up and add gussets to anyway so which would be the best option??

More
20 Feb 2019 06:37 - 20 Feb 2019 06:41 #203507 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT

Wuzie123 wrote: Hey guys sorry to jump in but im a little lost... i have a VVT and am going to be running 31's so am i right that NON VVT diffs will bring my gearing back towards normal? i know that it wont be the same as before but every little helps lol

I can get ahold of NON VVT axles for cheap if thats easier? looking at getting a set of axles to weld up and add gussets to anyway so which would be the best option??

Yes, the gearing will be close ;) I have 235/75/15s on mine (29") and the gearing is great, a little bit low if anything, as it accelerates like a little hot hatch...

Here's the diff and trabsfer box information in the BigJimny WiKi - www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...erential_information

So you can see your current diffs will be 4.3:1 and the transfer box is 1:1 and the older diffs are 3.909:1 and the transfer box is 1.32:1

So I swapped the transfer box and diffs from an older Jimny into my VVT Jimny...

Original discussion and mathematical caculations in this thread - www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...uestion-again#195140

Hope that helps?

Dave
Last edit: 20 Feb 2019 06:41 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wuzie123

• Wuzie123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2019 07:55 #203509 by Wuzie123
Replied by Wuzie123 on topic Re:Diffs VVT on Jimny Non VVT
Next question I never even thought about I just took it that it was a VVTI is this engine a VVTI???

Thanks for the info last Jimny I had was a 8v
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds