BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Guard Install Advice

• Wuzie123
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2019 12:42 #203111 by Wuzie123
Guard Install Advice was created by Wuzie123
Hey all

Looking at installing a few bits on my jim got a couple questions about the different bits

1. Where does the fuel tank guard bolt onto?

2. Any tips on how to install the axle point guards on the chassis?

3. What are the length of the bolts that hold on the HD transfer mounts on to the box?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2019 15:50 #203127 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Guard Install Advice
1- you remove the standard tin guard and it bolts in it's place (use plenty of wd40 on the bolts over a week )
2- do you mean radius arm guards ? If yes take out the bolt push guard on put bolt back in
mark through the 8mm holes remove guard drill 8.5mm hole push guard back on slide the big spacer washers in them put bolts in ;)
3-Don't know........... i have m8x20's with plain washer spring washer and Redacted lobster cradle

Jack

More
14 Feb 2019 06:21 - 14 Feb 2019 06:23 #203182 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Guard Install Advice
The most important advice - coat the parts of bolts which will contact the nuts with some anti-seize compound before bolting the guards onto the vehicle.
Otherwise it is highly likely that you won't be able to remove the bolts afterwards, and have to cut them off instead.

Even this measure might not be enough for the bolts which go through a bush (example - radius arm to chassis bush), as the surface between the bolt and the inner metal tube of the bush can corrode and the two surfaces effectively cold weld to each other.
In this case, any attempt to turn the bolt results in a bush wanting to turn as well. Thus the bush has to be destroyed in order to remove the bolt.
I had this situation when I wanted to remove the guards prior to selling my previous Jimny. I had to give up on removing them and buy the damn expensive guards again, as it would be even more expensive to destroy the bushes in the removal process and having to re-bush the radius arms again.

If anyone has an idea on how to prevent corrosion of a bolt inside a bush, I would like to know it. Perhaps coating the part of the bolt which would reside in the bush with some bearing grease before installation? Would there be any potential negative side effects? Anti-seize compounds are a bit too expensive to be applied to such a large surface area.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2019 06:23 by Bosanek.

More
14 Feb 2019 16:46 #203216 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Guard Install Advice
HaHa just call me lazy i just cut things off with grinder and punch them out :evil:
If i have to remove properly then i use penetrating oil over the course of a week prior to trying
not always a cheap option with the price of oil compared to an 80 pence slitting disc :woohoo:

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Feb 2019 18:04 #203222 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Guard Install Advice
Lithium soap grease ! It sticks to metal extremely well, is moisture resistant , has no corrosive propertys and brilliant for bushes and similar.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds