BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Throwing belts!

• WeeJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2019 22:51 - 02 Feb 2019 06:56 #202326 by WeeJim
Throwing belts! was created by WeeJim
Bought my Jimmy 2 months ago. Found a rust free example and was happy. The auxiliary belt was slipping soon after I bought it, but I thought no big deal as it seems common.

Three days into ownership, and it broke/threw off the belt. Got it to the local garage I use, and they replaced the belts. Expensive as they took out the radiator and did it properly.

Great, no slipping belt noises, and all week for six weeks.

Bad day today with two inches of snow. Jimmy did great getting me to work. Coming home I stopped for petrol. Bit of a slide coming out of the petrol station, and then a slipping belt sound for a coupe of seconds before they battery light came one.

Same old issue, trashed the belt and cooked itself! Just about got home in a blizzard, but it kept stalling in the driveway (probably due to overheating).

Any advise on why this is a repeated problem? The guy I bought it off said he replaced the alternator, battery and belts (although only the simple one was new) before he sold it. In retrospect I should have walked.

The car has cost me a fortune since I bought it. Belts £120, new cat £300, front discs and pads (after it a pad disintegrated, leaving me with no brakes, £120. New key £60. And now the belts again, hopefully just another £120!

I want to love this Jimny. Always liked them, and the need for a sensible winter car forced the purchase. I really want to keep it, use it, and keep it sound, but with the experience so far my head is saying get rid.

Any experiences and advice on solving the belt issue greatly appreciated. I really want to get the issue solved and improve and keep running this Jimmy till it dies.

Thanks
Last edit: 02 Feb 2019 06:56 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2019 23:48 #202328 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Throwing belts!
Hi, sorry you have issues. I dont think they throw or consume belts any quicker than any other vehicle, so it sounds like you may have problems elsewhere. Does the alternator and waterpump turn freely, PAS (it you have it) pump turn?
Sorry not an expert on belts as I need to change mine, but they have been on the vehicle for the 46K the car has travelled without issue, hence why I would look elsewhere.
Eurocarparts sell the belts for between £11 and £15 depending upon PAS or Alternator, dont look that hard to fit even if you keep the radiator in place, although undoubtedly easier with it removed.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
01 Feb 2019 23:48 - 01 Feb 2019 23:50 #202329 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Throwing belts!
Sounds like the crankshaft pulley is coming apart. Common problem. You shouldn't be paying £120 for new belts though! If a professional mechanic can't change the belts with the radiator in place he needs to hand in his tools. It's certainly not necessary to remove it to "do it properly".
Last edit: 01 Feb 2019 23:50 by Busta.

More
01 Feb 2019 23:52 #202331 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Re:Throwing belts!
Well, that’s a bummer.

You don't need to take the radiator out to do the belts. A pair of belts cost me less than £16 from Euro car parts and took less than 30 minutes to change outside the house. If you aren't good with spanners a mate with some should be able to help you easily enough.

I'd second that on the crank pulley.

I had a fair few things to get mine the way I wanted and everything sorted. It's worth doing - they are great fun and once right reliable, extraordinarily capable vehicles.

How hot did the engine get? Overheating is normally not good for an engine.

Best of luck.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Feb 2019 07:07 #202337 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Throwing belts!
Agreed that the underlying problem is the crank pulley. Also agree that your chosen professional is having a laugh with what they are charging you, I'm not saying they can't make a profit but 120 quid for both belts is obscene. I would also contend that if a car comes into a workshop with not just a squeaky belt but one shredded to bits as a professional they should have looked for causes like seized components or excess play and reported it back to you not just stuck on a new belt and let you come back for more when they fail again.

Stick with the Jimny though, they are very rewarding once they receive some tlc.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Feb 2019 07:20 #202338 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Throwing belts!
Sounds like the pulley, but you do not mention which engine (i.e. vehicle age) you have.

Pulley failure is a feature of M13 and M13VVT engines.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Feb 2019 08:10 #202339 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Throwing belts!
Do you have prroof that the alternator was in fact cx'd? I ask because my neighbours Jimny belts started screaming like a banshee. She had them cx'd by a local garage and all seemed well... until a few days later on a cold rainy morning with lots of current being drawn from the alternator (wipers; lights; heater fan etc) and it was shreiking again - it was also burning the belts - you could smell it.
In this instance it turned out to be the alternator - once it was on demand it was trying to stop the engine!. She Cx'd the alternator and the banshee impersonation vanished in an instant
However as previously mentioned it could also be the water pump.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
02 Feb 2019 08:42 #202344 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Throwing belts!
That's interesting.
Can I ask how the pulley fails and on which engine configuration, M13AA Pas Air etc.
Always a day to learn something new and if I know how it fails can visually check at service.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• WeeJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2019 09:07 #202345 by WeeJim
Replied by WeeJim on topic Throwing belts!
Thanks one and all.

It's an M13. No aircon. The £120 was essentially for two hours labour as they took the radiator out. They checked all the pulleys, which were apparently fine.

I'll get it to another local guy over the weekend and mention the crankshaft pulley and see how we go.

Typical that it happens with two inches of snow on the ground. Driving in a blizzard last night was no fun.

Uptake once it running.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Feb 2019 09:20 #202346 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Throwing belts!
The crank pulley is a two part bonded type that doubles as a harmonic balancer. The bond is a rubber thing much like a very thin metalastic bush in the suspension. Over time the bond fails causing the driving elements to become misaligned under load from the tension of the belts and to then oscillate when rotating which destroys the belts in short order. The bolt that holds the pulley to the crank is a large flanged thing that readily corrodes to the pulley making it a potential nightmare to get undone, even with impact guns. It's not a difficult job if it goes well but can easily be a complete pig.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Feb 2019 09:37 #202347 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Throwing belts!
I wouldn't take a visual inspection of the pulley as being ok

It's a two part pulley with a rubber separator. The rubber wears and fractures but still just hangs on.

See the thin rubber band in the picture.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
02 Feb 2019 10:22 #202348 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Throwing belts!

Lambert wrote: The bolt that holds the pulley to the crank is a large flanged thing that readily corrodes to the pulley making it a potential nightmare to get undone, even with impact guns. It's not a difficult job if it goes well but can easily be a complete pig.

As in my case. (I have a long thread on it, but it would put you off doing it)

However, it is really easy if you simply cut the flange off, which would have saved me many hours of messing about for the cost of a new flanged bolt in the beginning.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds