BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

410 transfer box

• Amarok88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2019 23:18 #202228 by Amarok88
410 transfer box was created by Amarok88
Hi guys,
Planning on running 235/75/15 on my jimny.
Got the chance of a 410 transfer box for £80. Should I go for this or save up the 700 for rock lobster and cradle.

If 410 is it a straight swap or do i need other bits?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2019 23:24 #202230 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic 410 transfer box
Hello Amarok and a BigJimny welcome to you from the Cotswold Hills.

I can't answer your questions but I'm sure someone will be along very soon that can.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Feb 2019 05:27 #202243 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 410 transfer box
The 410 is a direct ish swap. You will need different propshafts as the bolt holes are different and one of the shafts is too long. Have a quick search and all the specific requirements are on here.

Welcome to the forum.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Feb 2019 07:07 #202249 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic 410 transfer box
You'll need a Rocklobster. Only get it from Richard Redacted (Rockwatt) and discuss all new gears or polished gears to keep the noise down.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
01 Feb 2019 07:26 - 01 Feb 2019 11:06 #202251 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic 410 transfer box
Hi Amarok88

The 410 box is half of what you need for a Rock lobster if you like to get one made from your own parts. You take some parts from a SJ410 and some from a SJ413 box, combine, machine and weld (precision skilled work!).
The outside of the SJ box does not change so it is the same adaptation needed to fit a rocklobster to a Jimny as a 410 transfer. You will need the cradle and the driveshafts depending on what model your Jimny is.

EDIT: Correction! A 410 box might have smaller flanges that will not add up to the later driveshafts on Samurai and Jimny.

For me I even had a rocklobster case on my shelf, but i still found it was too much work/cost to put it in my 2005 Jimny.
I rather bought low gears for my Jimny transfer case.

See grimjeeper gear calculator to check different gearing choices and tire size.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2019 11:06 by yakuza.

More
01 Feb 2019 07:28 #202252 by yakuza
Best option in my opinion is to buy the ready made low gear sets and put them in a 413 box and make your own rocklobster. SJ transfer boxes are very easy to work with.
Or change the gears in your Jimny transfere if your Jimny is 2005 or later.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
01 Feb 2019 09:09 #202264 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic 410 transfer box

yakuza wrote: Best option in my opinion is to buy the ready made low gear sets and put them in a 413 box and make your own rocklobster. SJ transfer boxes are very easy to work with.
Or change the gears in your Jimny transfere if your Jimny is 2005 or later.

Where do you get the ready made gearsets for the SJ transfer box? Who makes them and who melds the gear to the shaft?

The only ones I'm aware of are Trailgear gearsets and they are for the standard Jimny transfer box.

There's 2 reasons to go Rocklobster over Trailgear gearsets. The first is the SJ box that the Rocklobster is made from is all gears and no chain, which stretches with the increased torque on occasions. The second is the rubber mounts of the Jimny box will tear out and you need Heavy Duty arms from the transfer box.

You could use through bolts to mount the Jimny box to the chassis but you still have the chain issue and you'll get vibrations through the car the same as comes with a Rocklobster mounted with the through bolts.

The through bolts also transmit transmission noise as the bolt goes through a hole on the chassis outrigger and a hole in the transfer box cradle or mount. If you can stop that bolt touching the sides of the hole you're a better man than me!

So whilst a benefit of the Trailgear gearsets is that they are quieter, the Rocklobster can be quiet if no old gears are meshed with new ones (all new gears used) or old gears are pished to suit, which Richard Redacted does at a slight extra cost.

Mine is an old one with old gears on new from before Richard had the tools to do all of this and is a little noisy.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
01 Feb 2019 10:49 - 01 Feb 2019 11:00 #202266 by yakuza
www.trailtough.com/products/suzuki-sidek...ase-and-driveshafts/
Available on link above is 4.16, 4.9 and 6.4 kits. Those are not welded..
You can put the kits in a SJ413 transfere box. It is an easy job.
I know several SJ's with these or similar kits.

edit: www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-off-road-...i/transfer-case.html
even more..

I have made my own 4.16 kits from two SJ transferes. there is a how to in the wiki? Should be a strong warning there cause you have to use a large degree of skill and precision so i won't link to it. Not recommended by me!

My own home made transfere box was quieter in my SJ than the trailgear gears i have now in my Jimny.
My Trailgear gears were not ground or polished.

The bolts and rubber mounts kit i bought for my Jimny was utter rubbish. I made my own on my SJ and will make some like that for jimny as well. For now I run it original and with original brackets and drive very carefully.

Anyways for the 2005 jimny the rocklobster is not an alternative due to the gearing for me. Without either 31" tires or changing of gearboxes and/or diffs it will not add up. And this guy says he wants to use 235's so if he got a 2005 or newer Jimny a Rocklobster will be way too much down gearing without alot of other cost and work.

Last edit: 01 Feb 2019 11:00 by yakuza.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Feb 2019 13:10 #202273 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic 410 transfer box
A full-on rocklobster will probably reduce the gearing too much for 235/75/15 tyres. Will be fine for offroad playing, but you'll find it gets old very quickly on the road.

More
01 Feb 2019 13:42 #202275 by yakuza

Venter wrote: A full-on rocklobster will probably reduce the gearing too much for 235/75/15 tyres. Will be fine for offroad playing, but you'll find it gets old very quickly on the road.

Depending on what model your Jimny is...

More
01 Feb 2019 15:17 #202280 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic 410 transfer box
I have not read the entire thread but
i got a Redacted cradle cheap with props and a 410 transfer box
then later bought traigear 4:16 gears from jimnybits waited for november black friday deals
paid 300 for the gears then got hold of a 413 final drive gear (swapped it for the 410 gears i removed)

so my advice would be get a cradle.props,and 410 transfer run this for a while
and get a gear set when on offer ;)

Jack

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds