BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rolled my Jimny

• gundog48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 19:25 #202133 by gundog48
Rolled my Jimny was created by gundog48

Now you might be wondering how I got here.

Ice, a hill, an oncoming car, bad driving. Ouch. She deserved better.

Managed to get her upright and she made it to work and back again, there was a bit of oil that had drained into the air filter, but once that was cleared up the engine ran just fine. She feels a bit funny, I think probably because of the damaged bodywork the sound and feel is different. Of biggest concern to me is the fact that, when changing gears, the positions feel a little shifted to the right. Apart from that, there's no sign that anything is actually wrong.

Apart from the body that is. Windscreen is cracked and will need replacing, driver's wing mirror completely crushed, driver's door deformed, driver's pillar dented and scraped heavily. Assuming there is no damage to the engine or any of the other moving parts, I see 3 options:
  • Repair it- a full repair will be costly, but I can make it driveable for less than £200
  • Embrace it- if it's not going to look like new again, maybe some creative modding and painting can embrace the look
  • Sell it- Probably worth a few hundred quid to someone I can put towards something new

I'd be interested to know where I could look for replacement parts for a proper repair. I can see the door being fairly straighforward, but I've no idea about the pillar. The door just about opens and closes, locks, and the window shuts if you give it a push, but when you open the door past about 30 degrees it starts creaking and has to be forced.

I've always liked the idea of doing some modding ever since I got it- I'm a good welder and fabricator, but have limited knowledge on how that applies to vehicles. In my head I'm seeing the doors removed and a canvas top and a roll cage. More sensibly it'd probably be some body filler, paint and a snorkel to cover it all!

I guess my question is, if this was yours, what would you do? What advice can you give to me? Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2019 19:49 - 30 Jan 2019 21:22 #202134 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Rolled my Jimny
Embrace it! You're en-route to recreating one of my all time favourite Suzuki's- Tim Hardy's SJ:

Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 21:22 by Busta.

More
30 Jan 2019 19:53 - 30 Jan 2019 19:57 #202135 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Rolled my Jimny
Firstly you're ok that's the first plus point :)
sorry for your Jim :(
I would give it a good check over before spending anything
looking at chassis axles steering parts panhard rods (for bends.twists'cracks ect)
buy a second hand door new windscreen take a hammer to parts straiten them best you can filler and snorkel like you said ;)
maybe a fancy paint job your choice of pattern
and just embrace what damage is left (will make for conversation)

Jack

Edit: door looks ok ;)
Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 19:57 by jackonlyjack.

More
30 Jan 2019 21:24 #202143 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Rolled my Jimny
Hi Gundog

Really sorry to learn of this mishap. Good job that you are ok though but it puts a downer on everything a bit.

Like Jack says, it might be worth investigating what damage has actually been done before parting company with your hard-earned beer-chits.

Being a body on chassis construction it could be possible to re-body the vehicle - this is something done in the vintage car world without so much as a raised eybrow - but on the JimnyI understand its rather more involved and complex - and then there's the overriding question of would it be worth it?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
30 Jan 2019 21:45 - 30 Jan 2019 21:46 #202146 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Rolled my Jimny
Glad you are OK, must have shaken you up!

Most things can be fixed.

Fortunately, Jimny's are relatively light and I think pretty strong, so aside for some denting, you may well have got away without too much major damage.

If it was me I would consider fixing it up. Door and mirror off a breaker. New windscreen, tidy up the pillar. Filler and paint or even some wrap, maybe a snorkel. Will be good as new before you know it. As already mentioned have a good look around - maybe use a tape measure/straight edge to check things aren't bent or twisted.

If it helps. 2 years back I got caught between a Volvo estate and a ford transit in my trusty old VW golf TDI that I had paid £550 for 12 months prior. Volvo clipped me from the right and shoved me to the left into a Transit. Right and left wings stuffed in, bumper pulled half off, smashed headlight and some broken clips and mounts for the bumper and a stretched track rod. When we checked the tracking the next day it was 1cm out on the driver's side. Looked worse than it was. Made a hole in the wing and the bumper with a screwdriver and hammer, then a couple of cable ties to get the bumper secured and drove sedately for the 50 miles home. Happened at 6pm on a Monday night. I ordered the parts mainly off breakers on ebay that night and the following day a couple of cheap wings off Euro Car parts. Had it all back together by Friday evening and the new wings early the following week after getting them sprayed by a pal of mine. Cost me about £175.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 21:46 by adrianr.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Jan 2019 05:32 #202156 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rolled my Jimny
Glad you are ok. It looks fairly repairable but I wouldn't be happy with it until I had had it on a jig to be absolutely clear that it was just cosmetic damage even then I would be essentially rebuilding the car with new bushes and joints and everything else I wasn't totally happy with. But equally I would leave as much of the body damage as I could that didn't impair the functionality of the car. Good luck.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Jan 2019 10:40 - 31 Jan 2019 11:52 #202176 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Rolled my Jimny
Sorry to read of your misfortune, but it doesn't look too bad.

gundog48 wrote: Of biggest concern to me is the fact that, when changing gears, the positions feel a little shifted to the right.

You will likely find the rear gearbox mount has broken, and the gearbox is out of alignment. It should have dropped back central, but I'd look there first.

EDIT: maybe one of the engine mounts has broken and the engine has dropped on one side- check them too.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 31 Jan 2019 11:52 by facade. Reason: Added info

More
31 Jan 2019 11:02 #202181 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rolled my Jimny
You are ok so thats all that matters.
Its painful to look at the damage but for what has happen it could have been worse. Its all been said above and I would also embrace the damage if the vehicle checks out ok. Over time secondhand parts can be sourced and panels replaced without breaking the bank.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
01 Feb 2019 07:24 #202250 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Rolled my Jimny
Take it to a body shop that is used to dealing with accident repair and tell them you want it checked for safety.

I'd be concerned about how It will stand up to another crash and how it will protect you in round 2, should that ever happen.

That A pillar is my main concern, along with how twisted the body is. Again, how is it going to be in another crash?

If a crash repair centre says it's just a bit messed up but structurally sound, fix it up. If not, get another.

I can't see re-shelling it being economically viable. You could make it an off road toy and trailer it to off road sites.

Break it to get as much money from it as you can otherwise.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
01 Feb 2019 07:33 #202253 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Rolled my Jimny

kirkynut wrote: Take it to a body shop that is used to dealing with accident repair and tell them you want it checked for safety.

I'd be concerned about how It will stand up to another crash and how it will protect you in round 2, should that ever happen.

That A pillar is my main concern, along with how twisted the body is. Again, how is it going to be in another crash?

If a crash repair centre says it's just a bit messed up but structurally sound, fix it up. If not, get another.

I can't see re-shelling it being economically viable. You could make it an off road toy and trailer it to off road sites.

Break it to get as much money from it as you can otherwise.

Kirkynut

This is very true!
Stay safe!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds