BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Handbrake cable - backplate clip

More
22 Jan 2019 15:58 #201414 by RogersJimmy
I am in the process of renewing a wheel bearing and oil seal and have come up against the clip which holds the handbrake cable into the backplate. The Wiki guide says it is fiddly to remove, and involves squeezing the prongs together to enable the cable to be pulled out of the backplate.

Trouble is, I cannot see what I have to squeeze! I am wondering if my clip has been previously butchered. Could somebody please tell me how many prongs there are and if a pair of pliers is the best way to do the squeezing.

If there is a better picture of the clip than in the Wiki guide, it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Jan 2019 16:26 #201417 by Lambert
I have never had to do it myself but someone who has will be along soon.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
22 Jan 2019 16:48 #201419 by mlines
The whole thing needs squeezing "in the round". Pliers only squeeze the faces they touch.

The way I used in the past was to get a small Jubilee clip (or pipe clip) and tighten it around the retainer so squeezing all the parts at the same time

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
23 Jan 2019 22:57 #201579 by Johnniehec
There are three prongs which have all to be compressed at the same time. Best thing is a ring spanner, can’t remember the size 12 or 13 mm I think as long as it’s a tight fit.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds