BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Alternative Antenna

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2019 15:21 - 18 Feb 2019 15:22 #203403 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Alternative Antenna

GeorgeC wrote: Edit: While waiting, I opened the manual and found there are Three different Radio Systems for the 2019 Jimny! Each of these will have different antenna requirements, however, all three would benefit from a "lay flat" feature.

Can you post that documentation?
Last edit: 18 Feb 2019 15:22 by TaterTot. Reason: Editing becasue I failed to remove text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 16:11 #203459 by TaterTot
But the threads are the same on those?

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2019 19:14 #203473 by TaterTot
Good, wanted that confirmed.

Then we are at the antennas. Their length is based on the radio net (and the freq.) that used in the country. FM has always been a good standard. But I digress.

A frequency range is reserved for the service, and the antenna is made to cover that range. Now, a full length antenna for that range is scaled 1/1. You can choose shorter antennas for that range, as long as they are dividable by 2. So 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16.... Sure, the shorter it gets, the antenna is less capable for the full wave. And also, it's ideal for other frequencies.

If one pics an antenna that is say, 1/6 of a full wave, it's going to be pretty useless. It's for a whole other freq. range.

Now, if I don't remember wrong, FM and dab are compatible for the antenna. DAB is 1/2 of FM. So it's a good example of one rod working on two systems.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2019 11:39 #203667 by TaterTot

GeorgeC wrote: I must apologise to TatterTot for fobbing him off with my last reply. It was not meant to be personal.

I needed to stay focused on the primary task, finding a solution. Sad to say, still no outcome to bring to the forum.

DAB Radio, particularly mobile, just does not rate any investment (it's not $exy) from the major communications companies.

Like the Insurance Topic, I will keep at it and report back.

No worries, all good :)

If we don't find a solution to this, well I guess I just have to build one. At least to get it tested. Or get an original antenna, and chop it. It's a simple thing.

More
23 Mar 2019 19:56 #204971 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Alternative Antenna
OK, it's been a while since I started this topic, but now for me I have got the final solution.

Now the std aerial being GPS/DAB & FM an alternative swivel base was impossible to find so......

1st job was to find a good GPS antenna. I got a magnetic one and have stuck it to the inside of the roof behind the interior light. This is showing the same number of satellite fixes as the original did.

Wire fed down the A-post.

2nd job was to find DAB antenna the worked as good as or better than the original. I tried a 'Puck' type that didn't work too well, so went for the Glass type.

Last job was to fit a CB aerial and put a connector on it so it would plug into the existing aerial connector in the roof. The CB aerial came with too thick a coax.

So an adaptor was was purchased with an SMA connector that I cut off.

Because I wanted to use the existing connector in the roof I managed to get the proper connector housing and the crimp terminals to use.

I didn't expect to find an odd shaped hole in the roof.

Pleased to say all 3 work and I'm quite pleased with how it looks.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2019 21:30 #204979 by TaterTot
Awesome. Good work done there :)

More
23 Mar 2019 22:53 #204980 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Alternative Antenna
Looks to me like the same or similar DAB glass aerial that my neighbour has (I mentioned it earlier on in this thread) - sounds like two satisfied people now have those!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
24 Mar 2019 19:42 #205012 by Soeley

Max Headroom wrote: Looks to me like the same or similar DAB glass aerial that my neighbour has (I mentioned it earlier on in this thread) - sounds like two satisfied people now have those!

Yes really pleased with it, at first I was put off think it would be a bit obtrusive, but with it being on the passenger side you don't even notice it out of the corner of your eye. Not bothered what the passenger can see :laugh:

More
24 Mar 2019 20:00 - 24 Mar 2019 20:01 #205013 by Soeley
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

GeorgeC wrote: Excellent outcome!

Soeley, I thank you for your advise and help to me on other topics.

I should have kept out of this topic from the beginning, however, here I go again.

You might try RG174 for the UHF. We find it works ok on 2M/70cm mobile, particularly short runs up A pillars and where things are tight. BNC connectors and adaptors work well.

George, I don't see why you think you should have kept out of it? All suggestions/comments and information is welcome, even if it isn't acted upon it can give food for thought and maybe lead on to other ideas.

Now I don't know my cables but the CB Aerial came with RG58 coax, when it arrived I realised it was too thick to use with the OEM type connector. The pigtail adaptor I got came with RG174 coax (just looked it up).

Last edit: 24 Mar 2019 20:01 by Soeley.

• JSYGEN4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2021 21:57 #235070 by JSYGEN4
Replied by JSYGEN4 on topic Alternative Antenna
Out of interest did you keep the original antenna base?

We had a bit of an accident with ours where the garage door snapped off our antenna and now the base needs replacing.

I dread to think how much an original from Suzuki would cost us so if anyone here has one they are willing to sell and post that would be super helpful...

More
16 May 2021 08:23 #235079 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Alternative Antenna
A little old I know, my DAB antenna is in the same place, but I put the GPS antenna under the dashboard, towards the front so it gets a clear a view of the sky as possible. There has to be no metal in the dash, but mine is all plastic.

I am surprised yours is working in the roof, it will be ‘seeing’ the satellites by reflection from the car metal work.

The outside is the best location, middle of the roof pointing straight up would be best.

My other car has a small mag mount DAB antenna on the boot, the on glass one didn’t work to well and picked up too much interference from the radio display.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 May 2021 20:43 #235129 by Soeley

Out of interest did you keep the original antenna base?

We had a bit of an accident with ours where the garage door snapped off our antenna and now the base needs replacing.

I dread to think how much an original from Suzuki would cost us so if anyone here has one they are willing to sell and post that would be super helpful...
Hi, yes  did thankfully. 

I had a little accident myself, the garage door wasn't full up and I caught the swivel base on it and ripped it out through the roof skin. So I had to go back to the original antenna as the larger base covered the damage after flattening the damage with a hammer and dolly.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds