BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Alternative Antenna

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2019 16:42 #201232 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Alternative Antenna

Soeley wrote: The whip is 12" over all and 6" too long to pass under the door. tried to get some silicone grease today but failed, will have a look online.

Oh. I was hoping it wasn't that much. That's too much to just bend it. Amazon has a bunch of Stubby antennas for FM. Pick one that is 1/2 the length of the antenna (but will still fit). If non are close, pick one that is 1/4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2019 18:38 #201243 by TaterTot
The issue with laying an antenna flat is that one goes from vertical wave, to horizontal. One will probably get better receiving strength by having a shorter antenna, the correct orientation.

The grease isn't for lubrication. It's to make sure nothing can ever get in.

More
20 Jan 2019 21:01 - 20 Jan 2019 21:02 #201262 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Alternative Antenna
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

TaterTot wrote: Yes, it is "multi-band", just as an antenna on a regular VHF-hand radio is. Most of them are VHF and UHF. It's just it's length that decides which frequencies it works with.

I doubt if its the same as a standard VHF radio. If you check under the headlining you will probably fine two connectors, a standard ISO radio connector for the FM antenna and a Fakra/SMB connector for the DAB. On some the power is sent up the same cable but you may find a separate supply because of the GPS.
Something like this one.

Look carefully at your antenna and you will see the second, longer antenna wrapped around the shorter inner antenna.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2019 21:02 by Rhinoman.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2019 21:07 #201263 by TaterTot
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Rhinoman wrote:

TaterTot wrote: Yes, it is "multi-band", just as an antenna on a regular VHF-hand radio is. Most of them are VHF and UHF. It's just it's length that decides which frequencies it works with.

I doubt if its the same as a standard VHF radio. If you check under the headlining you will probably fine two connectors, a standard ISO radio connector for the FM antenna and a Fakra/SMB connector for the DAB. On some the power is sent up the same cable but you may find a separate supply because of the GPS.
Something like this one.

Look carefully at your antenna and you will see the second, longer antenna wrapped around the shorter inner antenna.

You talking about the "foot" itself now?

More
20 Jan 2019 21:16 #201264 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Alternative Antenna
Just Googled the difference between Dipole & Monoplole and to tell the truth it lost me :unsure:
I did buy a short replacement from Halfords today, Turned out it was still an inch too long, but I did notice that the FM reception was worse, so that is back in the box to be returned.

I really appreciate all your help and am taking all your comments on board.

More
20 Jan 2019 21:24 #201266 by Soeley
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe picture on this item shows what the thread of my whip looks like, complete with the sleeve that goes over the base stub.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2019 21:30 #201268 by TaterTot

Soeley wrote: Just Googled the difference between Dipole & Monoplole and to tell the truth it lost me :unsure:
I did buy a short replacement from Halfords today, Turned out it was still an inch too long, but I did notice that the FM reception was worse, so that is back in the box to be returned.

I really appreciate all your help and am taking all your comments on board.

You sure that was an FM antenna?

Monopole - Half the lengt of the Dipole. Monopole needs a ground surface (Typically a copper plate, or mesh, or regular ground, or car chassis)
Dipole - this is 2 Monopoles, that work together, but in 180degrees of each other. Each monopole is the others "ground/negative"

More
20 Jan 2019 21:43 #201270 by Soeley
On the box it just says car aerial replacement whip. It is made by Autoleads. Just assumed it was an FM replacement.

More
20 Jan 2019 21:46 #201271 by Soeley
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI will have to loosen the headlining again and look what sort of connections are at the base, It will probably be Friday now before I can do that. But this item would be just what I want, swivel down for the garage, upright for the road.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2019 21:59 #201273 by TaterTot
But wasn't there a GPS element to this antenna?

More
21 Jan 2019 06:31 - 21 Jan 2019 06:36 #201287 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Alternative Antenna
I had a sharks fin aerial on my SAAB and while I didn't have DAB it was used for the built in Sat Nav

Shark aerial link

Read through the feedback on that one,(someone had DAB issue with it), but you could fit an almost invisible seperate window mounted aerial - my neighbour has one in her Jimny (from Halfords) it works very well. Just a thought

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 06:36 by Max Headroom.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2019 17:34 #201351 by TaterTot
Still the existing base holds the GPS. We got to see the wiring under the base/in base. The windshield antenna is a good alternative.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds