BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Alternative Antenna

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 19:34 #201178 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Alternative Antenna
If you change the base, won't that remove the GPS capability? I can not see any way that they use the antenna itself for GPS, but have that part in the base.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 21:01 #201188 by TaterTot

GeorgeC wrote: Good to see the photos! To me, the antenna looks multi band. One more photo showing the thread of the antenna would be good. Is that a nut around the base thread that can be released and the antenna angle adjusted?

Try searching for a Quick Release fitting, there may also be some BNC adaptors. 3/16BSF is 32TPI, that may help.

Yes, it is "multi-band", just as an antenna on a regular VHF-hand radio is. Most of them are VHF and UHF. It's just it's length that decides which frequencies it works with.

More
19 Jan 2019 21:17 #201189 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Alternative Antenna

Rhinoman wrote:

Soeley wrote: A quick google (first chance I've had) and the Ignis base looks promising.

Click Me

That looks like an FM only antenna, its for the old Ignis.

Yes, now I have looked into it, it is for the old Ignis. Thanks.

More
19 Jan 2019 21:20 #201190 by Soeley
Thanks everyone for there help, I had no idea car aerials were so involved. Whatever happend to the wire coat hanger? :unsure:

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 21:28 #201191 by TaterTot

Soeley wrote: Thanks everyone for there help, I had no idea car aerials were so involved. Whatever happend to the wire coat hanger? :unsure:

They became plastic :P

More
19 Jan 2019 21:37 #201192 by Soeley

More
19 Jan 2019 23:49 - 19 Jan 2019 23:50 #201195 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Alternative Antenna

TaterTot wrote: I would suggest you get some contact Vaseline, so moisture can't get in there.

Vaseline is petroleum based and would preobably do, but I used that red battery terminal grease, simply because it's deemed to be an electrically conductive grease that keeps metals free from rust and corrosion, but any decent dielectric grease should suffice. Example here

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 19 Jan 2019 23:50 by Max Headroom.

More
20 Jan 2019 08:00 #201203 by Soeley

Max Headroom wrote:

TaterTot wrote: I would suggest you get some contact Vaseline, so moisture can't get in there.

Vaseline is petroleum based and would preobably do, but I used that red battery terminal grease, simply because it's deemed to be an electrically conductive grease that keeps metals free from rust and corrosion, but any decent dielectric grease should suffice. Example here

Would copper grease, work just as well? I have tin of that in the garage.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2019 09:17 #201208 by TaterTot

Soeley wrote:

Max Headroom wrote:

Would copper grease, work just as well? I have tin of that in the garage.

No, please don't do that. This compound has a lot of nick names. uk.farnell.com/dowsil-formerly-dow-corni...-tube-100g/dp/537019 is a good option. Works pretty much like grease. It's hydrophobic, so water doesn't get into it. It also is dielectric, so no shorts. A little bead of that stuff will keep the elements away from the connection.

More
20 Jan 2019 09:28 #201210 by Soeley
Ok, thanks for the advise. I'll pop down to local car shop later and see what they have in.

More
20 Jan 2019 10:45 #201216 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Alternative Antenna
I will second TaterTot's recommendation on the Dow Corning silicone grease - its first class but probably expensive; its very widely used in aviation, but I would guess any silicone grease is good with electricals AND is less prone to destroying plastics and rubber as Vaseline or petroleum based products will.

No - don't use copper grease.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
20 Jan 2019 16:12 #201230 by Soeley
The whip is 12" over all and 6" too long to pass under the door. tried to get some silicone grease today but failed, will have a look online.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds