BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Squeaky wipers- pivot bush worn.

More
18 Jan 2019 17:34 #201076 by Scimike
I have Halfords own verson of the Bosch Aero blade fitted to my Jimny and also not had any issues. I believe the manufacturer behind Halfords blades is Velo, been on for 12 months. Plan to fit them on my other cars so long as I can get them to fit.
Prior to these my wipers would "judder" and make an awful noise, but that was just the rubber on old blades going hard over time and not flexing as the blades changed direction. I suspect any type of new blade would have stopped this. So as other have said try some new blades first..

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2019 13:49 #201226 by Busta
Had a chance to look into this further today. I took the wiper arms and scuttle trim off, then pried off the locking washers with a screwdriver to have a look at the bushes. 2 things were very obvious. The NS bush was significantly more worn than the OS bush, and the wear on the NS bush was all in one direction, turning the round hole into a slot.
So the fix was simple. Swap the bushes around, and orientate the NS bush (now the OS bush) the opposite way so any wear is in the opposite direction. I applied a liberal coating of motorcycle chain wax (for no reason other than it was what I had to hand) to the spindles and reassembled. On first test the squeak appears to be completely gone! Time will tell whether it's a long term fix or just the affect of the lubricant but I only took 30 minutes so any improvement is worthwhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
20 Jan 2019 16:38 #201231 by Max Headroom
Interesting how its only worn on one side.

Hopefully its a cure

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jan 2019 18:03 #201236 by Lambert
Good result.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jan 2019 11:53 #201324 by Busta
Yes. A free fix is always a good fix. However I may have to fork out for new bushes next time, probably in another 95,000 miles.

More
21 Jan 2019 15:44 - 21 Jan 2019 15:44 #201336 by yakuza
Very clever to move bits around. I really like when you can do these kind of fixes and save both cost and other resources.
Too much stuff just goes to waste these days :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 15:44 by yakuza.

More
21 Jan 2019 17:33 #201350 by adrianr
Proper fix. Nicely done.

In my mind it is always best to repair before replace if at all possible.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds