BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2019 Jimny Tech Specs

More
13 Jan 2019 22:44 #200695 by saxj
2019 Jimny Tech Specs was created by saxj
Does anyone have the correct specs for the new Jimny?

Suzuki globals figures don't make sense. Suzuki South Africa copied them.

The Japanese site doesn't show any technical details.

The British site is totally wrong. It says 85hp instead of 101hp, and the rest is garbage.

Things like the correct gear ratios and a torque curve would be nice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2019 00:28 #200701 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic 2019 Jimny Tech Specs
You aren't likely to find technical data like a torque curve on the Suzuki site. Engine specs will likely end up in a technical article at some point.

I have to admit I'm curious about what specifications you are referring to that don't make sense. The gear ratios haven't changed from the 3rd gen Jimny. The 85hp is incorrect but what other information are you asking about?

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
14 Jan 2019 21:15 #200756 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic 2019 Jimny Tech Specs
We know that the gear ratios are not the same, because the revs at 120kph on the new manual is around 3500rpm on the old it was around 4100rpm.

On the global.site they have the final drives mixed up between manual and auto. The rest of the ratios show as identical. Which is very hard to believe.

More
15 Jan 2019 00:04 #200765 by 1390_taz
Replied by 1390_taz on topic 2019 Jimny Tech Specs
I went to see the new jimny over the weekend at the main dealers. After viewing the car a sale rep gave me a specification guide
Attachments:

More
15 Jan 2019 02:15 - 15 Jan 2019 06:28 #200768 by zukebob
Saxj: Good catch on the reversed diff ratios. You've got a sharp eye.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned that the gear ratios have changed. From a generic perspective, vehicle manufacturers hate to spend money for new development. If at all possible, Suzuki would use everything they could from the existing platform......but that doesn't address your concern directly.

You said that at 120kph on the new manual, it is sitting around 3500 RPM. On your previous Jimny you said it was sitting around 4100 RPM at the same speed. With stock (assuming perfect form) tires, it should be about 4000 RPM at 120kph. The deviation is about 500 RPM on the new Jimny. Admittedly, that is more than I would normally expect unless there was a difference in tire sizes. An example would be going from stock to a 30 inch tire would reduce the RPM by about 380.

The best (and the only immediate one I can think of) way to check the ratios would be by getting underneath the car. Checking the transfer and diff ratios would be relatively easy. If those match the published data, you either go on faith that the transmission ratios are the same or you check that too.

If you do check, I would be interested to hear what you find. Certainly the discrepancies you found would make the effort worthwhile.

Last edit: 15 Jan 2019 06:28 by zukebob.

More
15 Jan 2019 04:12 #200770 by saxj
Would you care to share more than just the cover

More
15 Jan 2019 06:30 #200775 by zukebob
Saxj: I needed to edit my post a little. I realized I was using my transfer case ratios (automatic with 1.32 ;1) when I initially calculated the RPM figures. I must have been infected by Suzuki.

More
15 Jan 2019 07:50 #200778 by saxj
stock size on the old is 205/70R15.
stock size on the new is 195/80R15
The difference is 3.7%, which if the gearing were the same, would give roughly 3860 RPM for the new one at 120kph (given that the old is 4000rpm at 120kph)

Which means there must be some difference in gearing.

More
15 Jan 2019 08:29 #200779 by zukebob
Agreed. The 2 stock tire sizes wouldn't make a significant difference in RPM. That is why I mentioned the 30 inch tires. It would need to be more extreme to see the difference you mentioned.

I haven't done much review of some of the older ratios. Pre 2005 ( I think ) had different ratios. If your older Jimny was pre 2005, you would want to review those too. In truth though, I don't think you will find much difference when it comes to the RPM at speed. Especially when your older car matched what should be.

I would still suggest manually checking if you want to be sure.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds