BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Which gearbox/rear engine mount?

• Jimx5
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2018 23:28 #199516 by Jimx5
Which gearbox/rear engine mount? was created by Jimx5
I had the MOT done this morning and while the car was up in the air i asked how bad the rear engine/gearbox mount was and as i expected it was very soft, and as i have had difficulties selecting 1st and reverse when cold this could be the culprit and needs sorting any way.
I have searched the forum store which threw up 2 mounts one with captive nuts and one without, so rather than getting back under the car tomorrow does any body know which mount i need for an 04 Jimny Mode.
Many thanks, Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2018 01:07 - 28 Dec 2018 01:08 #199520 by Max Headroom
Dave do a search in the forum over the past 8 months or so...

Unless I've confused this with something else Im thinking of, I'm sure someone here has mentioned a BMC Mini rubber mount can be used for this - cheap as chips in Halfords, apparently.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 01:08 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimx5

• Jimx5
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 04:53 #199524 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Which gearbox/rear engine mount?
Yes i half remember that posting, but for the life of me i can't find it, plus the postings only go back a month or so.

More
28 Dec 2018 07:58 #199529 by Busta
Max, I suspect you are confusing the rear engine mount with the transfer case mounts. The mini mounts would work ok on the transfer case, although they wouldn't be as strong or flexible as the genuine items. The rear engine mount is a more complicated design and only a genuine mount will work.

Jim, I can't advise which you need as I only ever thought there was one type!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Dec 2018 08:07 #199530 by Lambert
The mini bushes are for the gear lever assembly. The captive and none captive type mounts are supposed to be interchangeable but I would inspect the existing again and get the same type.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Dec 2018 09:03 #199532 by jackonlyjack
My 04 has the captive nut type
Yes the mini bobbins x2 fit on the gear stick remote assembly
It made a big difference on gear selection when i fitted the bobbins

More
28 Dec 2018 09:19 #199533 by sniper
I recently fitted H/D steel transfer box mounts with rubber bolt through bushes, although not the mount you describe, it has made gear selection much more precise.

The transfer box is much more firmly held and I suppose, steadies the rear of the gearbox too. There is virtually no movement in the gearstick from acceleration or deceleration.

You could almost feel the transfer box and gearbox moving on the mounts before, especially when off roading over rocky ground where you get small jolts. it's completely solid now.

There is a small increase in the transmission of gear noise but the improvement in feel, far outweighs that negative.

A very small modification with a big benefit, £75 and a simple DIY job to fit.

sniper

• Jimx5
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 10:05 #199534 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Which gearbox/rear engine mount?
Thankyou to everybody who replied.

I had the 1st mot (in my care) yesterday which threw up 3 advisories.

1, engine/gearbox rear mount deteriorated, which i suspected and asked the mot tester to check, with all your invaluable replies i will get sorted as the weather improves.

2, offside king pin has slight movement, i already have the bearings and seal ready to tackle this job.

3, nearside king pin (no movement) but leaking!!!!!

Regarding number 3.....6 weeks ago i stripped the nearside king pin, replaced the bearings which were shot and replaced the half shaft seal, rebuilt the bearings with blue water proof grease, i also washed the c.v. joint out with brake cleaner and repacked it with a heavy duty high temperature grease, all reassembled and back together with no lateral movement in the king pins..... but, it is dripping axle oil everywhere.
I know about hydraulics and which way round seals are fitted.
I did refit top king pin to top and bottom to bottom the way i stripped it.
The only thing i can think of is the seal was old and perished as it wasn't packaged in a sealed bag when delivered or possibly the wrong i.d. seal, in hindsight i should have tried it on the shaft before fitting.

Once again any help or ideas appreciated.

Dave.

More
28 Dec 2018 10:35 #199535 by Max Headroom
AAaarghh

Sorry for the confusion on my part about those BMC mini mounts. Duh :blush: :blush:

Thank you Busta, Lambert & Jack for clarifying

More
28 Dec 2018 12:23 #199540 by Jezz
To answer your original question, The mount with the captive nuts is easier to fit, as you dont have to fiddle about try to get the nuts on.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
28 Dec 2018 14:09 #199545 by sniper
No need to apologise Max, your right, they were BMC Mini rear exhaust bobbins from Halfords that were used..... £2.89 each if I remember correctly.

I picked them up for jack one afternoon when he found they were perished. As I remember, they were only 89p each at Eurocarparts but they didn't have stock.

jack needed them on the spot, so I took the executive decision of exceeding the bobbin budget by (back in a min) ...... .89x@$5£= (well my JD addled head got it to) 324%.

sniper

More
28 Dec 2018 23:18 #199601 by Max Headroom
Heheh
Cheers Sniper :)

All I could remember was there was some association of "Jimny g'box and those BMC mini mounts".

Unfortunately the grey matter is getting a bit confused after too many years of being regularly doused with good quality cerebrel solvent from the real-ale period. :silly:

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds