BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fuel removal

• MrJinx
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2018 09:18 #199382 by MrJinx
Fuel removal was created by MrJinx
Hi people,
What's easiest way to get all the petrol out of the fuel tank?
Apologies as im still a numpty newbie!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2018 09:38 #199383 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Fuel removal
Disconnect the fuel return hose from the injection manifold, and attach a rubber tube that goes into a can to the manifold

You could use the feed pipe, but it is high pressure and might just blow the pipe off/out of the can.
Remove the fuel pump relay, and jump the blue & pink wires (pins 2 & 4)

Turn on the ignition and it will pump the fuel out. Don't try and start the engine.

Don't smoke or otherwise set yourself on fire. There are some archaic laws about how much fuel you can store in a can as well.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 Dec 2018 10:34 #199384 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic Fuel removal
If you are removing the tank to replace it, just punch a hole at the lowest point.

If you want to use the fuel pump to pump it out the fuel pipe instead remember the fuel will only pump out for a few seconds before cutting out unless you bypass the relay in the way facade suggested. Could take a while!

How much fuel is in the tank? Anything less than 1/4 tank and I'd carefully drop it down then pour the fuel into a can. Just make sure you seal up the filler neck pipe!

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux

More
25 Dec 2018 23:05 #199446 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Fuel removal
I've dropped my tank and bench pressed it back again a couple of times with about 1/8th of a tank full. So if you can run it down, removing the tank and using a jack to help pop it back will allow you to empty it by turning it over and pouring it out.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds