BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear door handle and lock replacement

More
16 Nov 2018 19:15 #197706 by Bosanek
I noticed that some Jimnys have a key lock in the external rear door handle, while others just have the handle without the lock. I don't know why Suzuki skimped on this on some Jimnys.

When a Jimny has just the handle without a lock in the rear door, it is impossible to lock/unlock the rear door from the outside, except by operating the central door locking on one of the side doors or by using remote central locking.

When a Jimny has the lock in the rear door, it is operated with the same keys as the side doors.

In any case, I determined that the rear door gets locked/unlocked simultaneously with the other two doors when the central lock is operated on any side doors (or if remote central locking is used).

Now, my Jimny does not have the lock in the rear door, just the handle, despite being made in 2012.

Does anyone know if I can replace this "lock-less" rear door handle with a handle with a lock from another dead Jimny? Is there already prepared cabling and/or wiring inside the rear door to fully connect the key lock to the rear door locking mechanism and to the central locking system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2018 19:27 #197708 by jackonlyjack
My 2004 only uses a key no fob
using key in drivers door lock opens all the locks
key in passenger side only opens that door
key in back door only operates that lock

More
16 Nov 2018 20:06 - 16 Nov 2018 20:09 #197710 by Bosanek
That is how my previous Jimny used to operate, and the current one operates too, except that it has no lock in the rear door, just the handle.

Since I have lost the remote locking transmitter, I have to go over to the driver's side door and use the key in it in order to lock/unlock the rear door every time when I just want to open the rear door on a parking lot in order to access the trunk/boot.

That is why I want to replace the "lock-less" external rear door handle with a handle which includes the lock, so that I can lock/unlock the rear door by using the main key in it. However, I don't know if the rear door contains all the necessary installations for the lock.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2018 20:09 by Bosanek.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Nov 2018 07:11 #197716 by Riccy
I have one with a key in it left over from the trayback project. I will have a look later, but im pretty sure the key part of it is purely mechanical and pushes the door pin inside up/down.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
17 Nov 2018 17:26 #197723 by Riccy
Not the best pics, but yes it is a mechanical thing..

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:

More
16 Jan 2019 21:12 #200910 by Bosanek
Thank you very much for these pictures.

According to them, it looks like it would be quite a straightforward job to replace the "lockless" external rear door handle with the one with the lock?

Would you be interested in selling that one to me? The color does not match, but I've seen worse colors than yours (mine for example) :)

I am thinking just one more thing - the lock in any handle which I buy will not match my existing vehicle keys.
What would the procedure of getting a new matching lock for my existing keys be? I certainly would not want to have a different lock and a dedicated key just for the rear door. So, is it possible to buy a new "uncut" lock somewhere, and then take it to a locksmith so that he "cuts" the lock according to my existing vehicle key?

More
16 Jan 2019 21:36 #200917 by Jezz
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
16 Jan 2019 21:47 - 16 Jan 2019 21:49 #200922 by Jezz
Having looked at a few photos of rear handles, Are the lock and non lock handles the same size? As in will the handle with a lock, fit in where a non locking handle was fitted. Maybe Riccy can take some measurements of the one he has removed before you buy something that will not fit.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2019 21:49 by Jezz. Reason: spelling

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
17 Jan 2019 18:27 - 17 Jan 2019 18:35 #200992 by Riccy
I can measure it if you want and you are welcome to it (free, just pay the postage), but of course the key wont fit (and i need to keep the one in the picture as its the only one i have for that car).

I can get a copy cut of the key and send it with, obviously you would need to use that key for the back door and the existing one for the others and ignition. If you wanted a matching lock barrel then you will probably need to order from the suzuki dealer (if its available for your year car)

Why not make some sort of hidden release behind the spare wheel? could be something like a bicycle brake cable in a discreet place perhaps?

Also why not have a look at some after market central locking devices? Ive seen a few posts about that in the past on here. That would solve the problem in a much better way perhaps?

Last edit: 17 Jan 2019 18:35 by Riccy. Reason: forgot something

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds