BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Wrong fuel causing loss of power?

More
01 Sep 2018 11:36 #195628 by cindymcm
So I made an error tonight and pulled up to the petrol station and realised I only had the option of 91 octane fuel. So instead of moving to another pump I thought one tank wouldn’t hurt and filled up Jimny with 91. Unfortunately about 20 mins later after going fine it lost power when I was going up a small hill in 1st gear. Felt like I was in 3rd gear and had to check what gear I was in. It’s idling rough, and when I get it moving it feels like it’s going to stall. It’s being towed to a mechanic on Monday to sort out but my partner pointed out that by putting in 91 instead of 95 that that could of caused it. I’m in New Zealand if that makes a difference.

I’m completely ignorant about cars but I never put in 91 except this one time as I thought a once of would be fine. Can this have caused a sudden loss of power?

Thanks Cindy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonnz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2018 12:31 #195629 by jonnz
Replied by jonnz on topic Wrong fuel causing loss of power?
Im in NZ and run my 1998 Jimny G13BB on 91 octane 99% of the time. Dont know what the fuel requirements are for other (i.e the post 2000 1,328 cc M13A) engines are but someone here will. Mine had been running a bit rough, feeling like it was going to stall when stopping at intersections etc., but since chucking in a new camshaft sensor it hasn't missed a beat.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Sep 2018 06:54 - 02 Sep 2018 06:56 #195636 by Lambert
It shouldn't have done any lasting damage, not like putting petrol in a diesel. If you're not mechanical then having a garage look it over is sensible. I suppose an octane enhancer could be added to the 91 to bring it up to 95 but getting the proportions right could be difficult. The other alternative would be to drain the tank and refill but that would be a bit excessive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 02 Sep 2018 06:56 by Lambert.

More
02 Sep 2018 09:50 #195639 by sniper
I would also consider that the re-fuel might just have been incidental to another problem.

Cam sensor has already been mentioned but also coil pack, leads and plugs. Others have reported similar loss of power due to blocked CATs.

sniper

More
02 Sep 2018 23:16 #195655 by cindymcm
Sniper, what is CATs?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Sep 2018 05:28 #195657 by Lambert
Catalytic convertor. Jimny has 2 in its exhaust system as part of the emissions control. They can over time collapse internally and detrimentally affect the engines ability to breathe.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper, cindymcm

More
03 Sep 2018 08:37 #195661 by kirkynut
I'd be surprised if it's the fuel that's caused it.

They are the symptoms of a blocked catalytic converter.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: cindymcm

More
05 Sep 2018 02:12 #195696 by cindymcm
Thanks all, I gave this info to the mechanics and it was the number 2 cylinder coil. All sorted for now it seems :)

More
05 Sep 2018 06:47 #195697 by sniper
Glad it was a simple fix.........

sniper

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds