BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Push button transfer low gear set noise

More
27 Aug 2018 16:21 - 27 Aug 2018 16:24 #195466 by yakuza
I have mounted the Trail Gear 17/87% gear wheels, and after this I have a new noise coming when there is extra load on the transfer case in high gear. Nut sure if I have the noise in low range as i haven't had the time or opportunity to try it much.
Sometimes when i start to drive, but not always, but mostly when i pull a trailer uphill at slow speed or acceleration in first and second gear.
Sounds like the thrust forces from the gears make an extra noise.
I can do a hard take off in first and second without hearing the sound..
Hard to explain how it sounds but not grinding like broken ball bearings, or metallic shavings. More like a torsional vibration.
I am afraid to push it too much as I still got the original mounts and bushings that connects the transfer to the frame.
Original rubber mounts are OK, not broken.
Maybe the housing mounts should be changed and reinforced?
The mounting brackets might warp and twist for all i know, but I do not think i have pushed them that much.

Could there be something wrong with my thrust bearings inside the gearbox, or is there just more noise to be expected as the forces inside are greater?
Could it be the chain?

The transfer had approx 105000km on it when i changed the gears.
I have a M16A engine by the way so the torque is greater..

The constant extra whining noise from the new gears has gotten much better after a running in period, but is still there.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2018 16:24 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2018 05:59 #195514 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Push button transfer low gear set noise
Are you 100% sure it`s not the transfer, axle or any other mechanical part that touches it`s surroundings?

I dont have these noises in mine.. But in the beginning, when using HS mounts (stacked up wrong) , the bolt actually touched the chassie in high torque situations..
I then put in stock worn bushings, and that noise dissapeared, and calmed down the whining _alot_ as well.
Been trying HD`s again, but i hate the whining so much that i bought 3 new stock bushings that i use now.. Hoping they will hold up together with the JB HD brackets.

More
29 Aug 2018 07:22 - 29 Aug 2018 07:28 #195517 by yakuza
Difficult to say as there are no clunk noise. Relates to torque I guess, so might be the brackets bending. That is the only difference between your car and mine. Had the same noise in question with the HD bolts. But whining improved greatly as you say! See now that zookbob sells them with 10mm bolts. Mine had 8mm or something imperial so I did not trust them. Will make my own later when I get the beefed up mounts.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2018 07:28 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds