BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Lambda sensor question. (yes I know etc etc)

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2018 10:24 #195139 by mattsccm
The Jim has failed the MOT as the engine management light was on. Code check tells us that its the pre cat one. But how the hell do I know what to buy? There appear to be millions of different versions out there. Online compatibility checks asked for the model of engine. Now the the********** would I know that. Its green, that's what matter! Wife bought it new and only found out last week that it was RWD in 2WD.
V5 says 1328cc from 2004. Engine number begins with M13A
Prices seem to run from 30 quid to 10 times that. I want a cheap fix. I'd take the bloody bulb out if it was easy.
My Land Rover is so much easier.
Your guidance please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2018 10:43 #195141 by mattsccm

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2018 13:57 #195145 by mickt
That shows lots of different makes. Have you tried your local motor factors? Car reg should be all that is required to get the correct one with the info above and pre cat sensor as the part required.

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2018 16:25 #195147 by mattsccm
Replied by mattsccm on topic Lambda sensor question. (yes I know etc etc)
Ha, you would think so. They offer me all sorts hence me looking at that list above. Dozens out there but I have no idea which to chose of all those labelled as correct for the car hence the reason for asking.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Aug 2018 16:31 #195148 by Lambert
Ask Martin the admin Mlines of this parish he will need a registration number and can cross reference from there.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Aug 2018 17:19 #195151 by Riccy
Yep Martin is your man (see the bigjimny shop).

Yours is not a VVT at that year so M13a is the engine code.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• NicBe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2018 07:21 - 19 Aug 2018 07:23 #195246 by NicBe
I didn't think that an engine management light being on was a failure, I just received an advisory for mine, its all down to if it fails the emissions. I believe their is little difference to the sensors just the connectors and wires as they work on a potential difference. I have just bought a new and unwanted denso DOX 0113 for 20 squid for my front sensor. On some sites this is mentioned as being compatible to many vehicles including my Jimny, possibly due to coming with no connector just with heat shrink connectors. It also comes with a wiring color code if you are wiring it to anther manufacturers connector. Mines a denso so like for like. Will let you know what happens when I get around to fit it.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 07:23 by NicBe.

More
19 Aug 2018 10:12 - 19 Aug 2018 10:16 #195251 by facade

NicBe wrote: I didn't think that an engine management light being on was a failure, I just received an advisory for mine, its all down to if it fails the emissions.

If you look in section 8,2 of the Testers manual www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-i...3-4-5-and-7-vehicles

you find under defects

h. Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunction Major

So it should be a fail. It is down to the indication of a malfunction meaning that Something is Not Right and this could be an environmental problem.....

As to which sensor, there are only 2 types as far as I know, and one with the right number of wires will work, mine is a generic one, and has been perfect on emissions for 5 or 6 years now.
You have to join the wires to your old wire & plug (don't cut them too close to the plug in case you want to change it again)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2018 10:16 by facade.

• NicBe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2018 11:30 #195380 by NicBe
Ah see you are right, looks like they changed in May explains why mine was just an advisory. Just as well that the sensor worked, Dox 0113, for a 2006 vvt front sensor.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds