BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4X4 light flashing - am I stuck in 4 wd?

• psybear
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2018 17:10 - 04 Aug 2018 18:52 #194827 by psybear
Hi all.

I have searched for his topic and found a few answers both on this forum and elsewhere, but all a bit too technical for me.

I had my Jimny on the beach earlier and had to briefly use the 4wd when parking it. Came back to it later, forgot it was still in 4WD and drove maybe half a mile (low speed) before noticing the flashing 4x4 light. Pulled in and tried to get it off by switching back to 2WD. Didn't get the usual sounds to indicate anything happening. Drove about another mile and left car for a while, came back to it and it's just constantly flashing 4x4.

I will not be able to fix this myself - as I said I am no mechanic - but I'm 100 miles from home and my usual garage. Is the car safe to drive like this? Any easy way of checking if she is stuck in 4WD as I can't imagine 100 miles on tarmac in 4WD is going to do any good! I don't have ramps to put her up onto to check if all four wheels are driving...

It's a 2007 JLX with the dash mounted buttons for the drive settings.

Thanks!
Last edit: 04 Aug 2018 18:52 by psybear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
04 Aug 2018 18:04 #194829 by Riccy
Park the car in gear. Use the jack to lift one of the front wheels at a time.

If the wheel turns then its not in 4x4, or at lest the hubs are not engaged. you can drive it fine on tarmac like this no problem.

if the wheel wont turn then its probably in 4x4 and shouldnt be driven on tarmac like this.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: psybear

• psybear
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2018 18:51 #194830 by psybear
Replied by psybear on topic 4X4 light flashing - am I stuck in 4 wd?

Riccy wrote: Park the car in gear. Use the jack to lift one of the front wheels at a time.

If the wheel turns then its not in 4x4, or at lest the hubs are not engaged. you can drive it fine on tarmac like this no problem.

if the wheel wont turn then its probably in 4x4 and shouldnt be driven on tarmac like this.

Thanks for the quick reply Riccy, much appreciated.

I took it back to the beach (drove slowly) to try it in soft sand and the rear wheels were spinning in the soft stuff, front weren't. But I will try this to be sure.

More
04 Aug 2018 22:54 #194831 by helijohn

psybear wrote:
I took it back to the beach (drove slowly) to try it in soft sand and the rear wheels were spinning in the soft stuff, front weren't. But I will try this to be sure.

That's more or less what I did when I was not sure about my Pajero but in my case I found a field with soft mud and yumped around for a bit. Usually if the light doesn't go out I do a quick short reverse.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds